Minnesota C/O 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
for everyone with interviews on friday, what are you wearing on saturday for the tour and info session and all that?

I'm wearing grey slacks and a patterned top with a cardigan over top. "Business casual" is what I'm going for.

Members don't see this ad.

I was just wondering if those of you who have interviewed before remember about how many behavioral questions you were asked? I know that the number will vary with response time but I was just curious. Good luck to everyone interviewing this week!

Whew. After a long number of years of undergrad work, pre-reqs, working full time while starting a family, shadowing (... and more shadowing), etc.... I finally finished the interview today.

Hopefully it's just the start! :) (Feels weird to put in all this effort just to get into the starting gate.)

For those headed in for the interviews, I will say this: The staff at the UMN were without exception remarkably friendly and went out of their way to be available for questions. My interviewers were courteous and encouraging. I was extremely impressed with their organization, professionalism, and warmth.

Best of luck to everyone!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Whew. After a long number of years of undergrad work, pre-reqs, working full time while starting a family, shadowing (... and more shadowing), etc.... I finally finished the interview today.

Hopefully it's just the start! :) (Feels weird to put in all this effort just to get into the starting gate.)

For those headed in for the interviews, I will say this: The staff at the UMN were without exception remarkably friendly and went out of their way to be available for questions. My interviewers were courteous and encouraging. I was extremely impressed with their organization, professionalism, and warmth.

Glad to hear that! I just got into Minnesota tonight and my interview is tomorrow morning. Was it 100% behavioral or were there some other Qs thrown in too? Did you get the opportunity to ask any questions?

Btw I loveeee Minnesota so far. :love: I live in a city now and arriving in Minnesota felt like home with some snow. I'm really excited for this weekend!

Glad to hear that! I just got into Minnesota tonight and my interview is tomorrow morning. Was it 100% behavioral or were there some other Qs thrown in too? Did you get the opportunity to ask any questions?

Btw I loveeee Minnesota so far. :love: I live in a city now and arriving in Minnesota felt like home with some snow. I'm really excited for this weekend!

Welcome to MN! I see you're from Florida, my sympathies on our temps up here. On the positive side, it's warmed up considerably lately.

Um, in the student panel earlier today someone asked a question about interview questions, and the admissions director indicated that the students were coached not to answer those. I think the spirit of things dictates that I honor that, too? No offense intended. It is not a horrible experience, though. And yes, there was ample opportunity to ask questions of anyone: students, admissions staff, and interviewers.

Best of luck tomorrow!!

Welcome to MN! I see you're from Florida, my sympathies on our temps up here. On the positive side, it's warmed up considerably lately.

Um, in the student panel earlier today someone asked a question about interview questions, and the admissions director indicated that the students were coached not to answer those. I think the spirit of things dictates that I honor that, too? No offense intended. It is not a horrible experience, though. And yes, there was ample opportunity to ask questions of anyone: students, admissions staff, and interviewers.

Best of luck tomorrow!!

That's okay, I understand! I was trying not to ask you questions that were too in depth because I know that UMN blocked the interview questions on Interview Feedback on SDN. Glad to know that it was not a horrible experience. I'm pretty nervous about the behavioral questions. I'm currently on the phone with my boyfriend making him listen to me answer every one that I can find online! My fear is they'll ask for a situation that I won't have any idea how to answer and I'll just sit there and stare blankly at them. Here's to hoping that doesn't happen! :xf:

I also had my interview this morning and I have to say it was by far my best/favorite interview experience yet. My interviewers were very conversational and it felt like the time just flew by. The questions were exactly what you would expect from a behavioral interview. They try to get in 10 questions and said that they would cut you off, politely, if you are going too in depth for any one of them. I ended up only answering 7 questions because they said that I demonstrated or answered the other three questions already. Also got around 10 - 15 minutes to ask them questions. Again, overall it was a very calm/casual experience.

I really loved the school and think that it has now moved to number one on my list. The staff were great and it was very organized; my only complaint was that my tour guide wasn't necessarily the greatest. It seemed like she was more nervous to give us the tour than we were for the actual interviews. She even got lost at one point during the tour and kept on describing things extremely vaguely. However, the school is still very impressive and the rest of the day went smoothly.

I also had my interview this morning and I have to say it was by far my best/favorite interview experience yet. My interviewers were very conversational and it felt like the time just flew by. The questions were exactly what you would expect from a behavioral interview. They try to get in 10 questions and said that they would cut you off, politely, if you are going too in depth for any one of them. I ended up only answering 7 questions because they said that I demonstrated or answered the other three questions already. Also got around 10 - 15 minutes to ask them questions. Again, overall it was a very calm/casual experience.

I really loved the school and think that it has now moved to number one on my list. The staff were great and it was very organized; my only complaint was that my tour guide wasn't necessarily the greatest. It seemed like she was more nervous to give us the tour than we were for the actual interviews. She even got lost at one point during the tour and kept on describing things extremely vaguely. However, the school is still very impressive and the rest of the day went smoothly.

This made me laugh! We're all really nervous to give tours because first years rarely leave VS/VM 125 (classroom), 104 (test/lab room), and the anatomy lab- so we're not exactly the best guides (the VMC is REALLY hard to navigate). My advice (for those of your who have yet to interview) is to ask your tour guide as many questions about their experience as possible- the most beneficial part of the tour is having a student to give you the inside story. And be patient if they get lost or seem nervous- it's harder than it looks (and if you're interviewing/touring on February 5th, don't judge me too harshly!).

Congratulations! I hope we'll see you in the fall! :)

That's okay, I understand! I was trying not to ask you questions that were too in depth because I know that UMN blocked the interview questions on Interview Feedback on SDN. Glad to know that it was not a horrible experience. I'm pretty nervous about the behavioral questions. I'm currently on the phone with my boyfriend making him listen to me answer every one that I can find online! My fear is they'll ask for a situation that I won't have any idea how to answer and I'll just sit there and stare blankly at them. Here's to hoping that doesn't happen! :xf:

Don't be too nervous- from my experience, they're really understanding if you just can't think of an appropriate situation. If I were you, I would just outline/describe a few significant experiences before your interview so that you'll have something to draw from if you do start to blank...

Don't be too nervous- from my experience, they're really understanding if you just can't think of an appropriate situation. If I were you, I would just outline/describe a few significant experiences before your interview so that you'll have something to draw from if you do start to blank...

This is good to know. There is one question that I've encountered (and I have no idea whether or not MN uses it- it's an Iowa question) that I honestly have no answer for. The behavior they're asking about (overstepping of bounds) is completely and totally outside of my nature. I can't think of an even remotely recent situation that would apply... and I'm betting they're not overly interested in what I was like in kindergarten ;). I'm kind of afraid that if I do end up with a similar question, it'll look bad if I can't answer. Like I'm copping out, or lack personal awareness or something.

(So not true... I'm more than capable of being obnoxious- just not that particular brand of obnoxious. ;))

This is good to know. There is one question that I've encountered (and I have no idea whether or not MN uses it- it's an Iowa question) that I honestly have no answer for. The behavior they're asking about (overstepping of bounds) is completely and totally outside of my nature. I can't think of an even remotely recent situation that would apply... and I'm betting they're not overly interested in what I was like in kindergarten ;). I'm kind of afraid that if I do end up with a similar question, it'll look bad if I can't answer. Like I'm copping out, or lack personal awareness or something.

(So not true... I'm more than capable of being obnoxious- just not that particular brand of obnoxious. ;))

I do think that they understand that some situations just don't apply to everyone. Of course, I'm not an interviewer or an admissions person- but, for what it's worth, this was certainly my impression when I interviewed.

Good luck! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
My only complaint was that my tour guide wasn't necessarily the greatest. It seemed like she was more nervous to give us the tour than we were for the actual interviews. She even got lost at one point during the tour and kept on describing things extremely vaguely. However, the school is still very impressive and the rest of the day went smoothly.

Hey, cubby! Glad you liked Minnesota. I was a tour guide today, and while I managed not to get my group lost, I was definitely nervous! I even backed into a wall once! :laugh:

While some of us work in the hospitals or make a point of going to observe surgeries and stuff, most of us are just trying to make it through the next exam and haven't been in the small-animal hospital since our own tour last spring!

Hopefully, we'll get better after we get a few tours under our belts. We were told we'd have a tour-guide partner, but there was so much interest that didn't always happen: I was completely on my own with four interviewees and a couple of inquisitive parents. :scared: I think it went ok, but who knows!

I'll be doing tours and stuff again this weekend, so maybe I'll see some of you there! Look for the really tall brunette. :)

And if any of you have any questions remaining after you tour/interview, feel free to ask elliepants or I here or via PM. We're happy to help!

And if any of you have any questions remaining after you tour/interview, feel free to ask elliepants or I here or via PM. We're happy to help!

Truth fact.

Now go to bed, P- we have that physiology test in the morning and I don't want you to be grouchy! :)

Truth fact.

Now go to bed, P- we have that physiology test in the morning and I don't want you to be grouchy! :)

Me, grouchy? Never! :p

See you in the morning, E!

Just had my interview. I think it went well. :xf: The interviewers were super nice and specifically said "there are no awkward silences, take your time answering questions". Which was good because a few times I definitely needed a few moments to collect my thoughts.

I'm excited for the equine center tonight and hope to meet some SDNers there! Good luck to everyone still interviewing. It really is a pretty relaxed experience!

Chinola, I am very glad your interview went well! I am so curious as to how University of Minnesota behavioral interview compares with Iowa State University (seems like ISU interview was just AGES ago). Mine at U of M is Feb 12, so I've still two weeks to wait!

I just made the decision I am going to withdraw my application and not go to my interview on the 12th. :( Wish I could afford to go and see the school.

Good luck everyone!

Elliepants and/or Parietal,
Are either of you going to be doing tours on the 3rd? It would be great to get to meet you guys in person!

Elliepants and/or Parietal,
Are either of you going to be doing tours on the 3rd? It would be great to get to meet you guys in person!

I'm not, but PM me! Maybe we can find a time for a quick coffee or something.

Just withdrew from my OOS interview, got accepted to my IS. Hope this helps someone out!

Just a heads-up to all the OOS-ers interviewing next week... the RSVP survey thingies have been e-mailed, and apparently, if you don't respond by Monday afternoon, they'll rescind the interview.

My interview is this Saturday... is anyone else interviewing that day?

I have an interview this Saturday as well. I am excited and nervous!

Hello everyone!
I just wanted to send my thoughts out to everyone who is interviewing this weekend and I hope everyone who interviewed already had a good experience. I was there last weekend and the campus was great, everyone was very nice, and the interview was as comfortable as an interview could be! The interviewers were very nice and conversational and though I know those of you who have not interviewed will continue to be nervous no matter what I say but if you have atleast browsed behavioral interview questions and thought of a few good experiences to refer to, you will do great! I also want people to know (mainly because I wish I would have known) to bring a snack and a drink! I stayed in a hotel Friday night and therefor was not able to grab anything for breakfast Saturday before everything started and there was close to nothing available on campus until we were provided lunch...so a snack is a very good idea! Also something to do in your down time because there was a lot of that. Lastly, current students are available pretty much the entire time to answer questions so think of them now because I wish I had done that before...I had no idea how often I would get to ask them! Well goodluck!!

I'll be interviewing this saturday as well - hope to meet some of you! I'll be trying to get there friday evening for the equine facility tour then all day saturday. I love the area I'm staying with my best-ie who lives right next to campus!

:xf::xf: To CT and everyone else interviewing this weekend! You're going to do great!!

I was also there last weekend and really love the school and especially the people! I really liked everyone I met. I wasn't so happy with how my interview went (I'm totally the type of person who loves talking about facts and abstract ideas and opinions, but hates talking about feelings and responses and myself in general...it just wasn't for me :scared:) but hopefully I bumbled through well enough because I really liked the school!

There was quite a bit of downtime. If you interview Th or Fr there will be a cafe open for ~2 hours over lunch, otherwise not much on campus. There is free wireless in the waiting area though. I had about 1.5 hrs to kill and was way too antsy to sit still, so I wandered around the neighborhood W of campus. If you walk west down Commonwealth Ave. (it runs along the south side of the vet school) for about 15 min., you'll come to Como Ave. Turn right and you're in an area of neighborhood shops - including a coffee shop/Finnish Bistro (good pastries!), a book shop, a gift shop, etc. Nothing fancy or huge, but cute and charming and a good way to kill some time.

Thanks light10! :)

I am in love with this place.

Wasn't overly crazy with my performance on the interview. I fumbled the non-behavioral stuff a bit because I'd been so focused on the behavioral questions. Didn't get the full 10 (I don't think), and some of the ones I was asked didn't pertain to my better examples, and I had to talk about some things that were kind of odd. :laugh:

(Yeah, I'm totally going to spend the next three weeks agonizing over this.)

It was a fairly low-stress experience (as far as these things go), and the behavioral questions were pretty textbook. Good luck to those going tomorrow! :thumbup:

I am in love with this place.

:D

Met an SDN lurker tonight! Lurkers, feel free to join in, we really don't bite.

Good luck to all of you interviewing tomorrow! And you all should know in less than a month. :)

Lurkin a little bit... Interview and people were wicked nice! Definitely the prettiest-looking campus / area I've seen yet! And a rockwall in the gym??? How cool is that?

I did so terrible during the interview, I can't believe I made the waitlist!

#4 on the OOS waitlist... :xf:

From what I've heard (which, of course, is all anecdotal and probably not worth much.....) that's for all practice purposes a guaranteed spot. A number of students have told me the U goes pretty deep into the waitlist.

And thank you. I'm excited. I really didn't think my interview went well enough.

Made the wait list as well, but I'm a bit far into it...any thoughts on how far in they usually go? Guesses?

Congrats LetItSnow!! I'm in too!!! Wasn't expecting an email so soon - but totally thrilled!

I love love love Minn (school and state) and its still in the running, but my fiance's job prospects there are dwindling :cry:. So maybe I will give up my OOS spot soon. His employment picture is becoming more clear, so we're hoping to figure things out in the next few weeks. :xf::xf::xf: For you and Buckie and all the alternates!

Made the wait list as well, but I'm a bit far into it...any thoughts on how far in they usually go? Guesses?

Out-of-state? I believe my class went down to the 20s or so. I think that may be less than normal though...

Glad they accepted me coz it was without question my favorite amongst other "top tier schools" I'm going to UM next year!

Glad they accepted me coz it was without question my favorite amongst other "top tier schools" I'm going to UM next year!

Yay! Congrats to you all and best of luck to the waitlisters!

If you all have any questions, feel free to PM me.

And one of you should start a Facebook page! A lot of my class actually knew each other before orientation thanks to Facebook (and SDN!).

Here's a link to ours in case you need inspiration: http://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=154516124603713&id=149293975125928#!/group.php?gid=347509208714

Yay! Congrats to you all and best of luck to the waitlisters!

If you all have any questions, feel free to PM me.

And one of you should start a Facebook page! A lot of my class actually knew each other before orientation thanks to Facebook (and SDN!).

Here's a link to ours in case you need inspiration: http://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=154516124603713&id=149293975125928#!/group.php?gid=347509208714

Good idea, I'll create one later tonight after I make all of my calls. Btw- the phone calls breaking the news to all the people who helped me feel better than the actual email.

Ahhhh I got the email!!! I lovedddd Minnesota! If I don't get into my in-state (Florida) I will be there in the fall! So excited! :love:

Ahhhh I got the email!!! I lovedddd Minnesota! If I don't get into my in-state (Florida) I will be there in the fall! So excited! :love:

Congrats!! I'm pretty sure I was at your table for lunch. I mean, there can't be that many people from Miami interviewing at UMN on the same day lol.

I did so terrible during the interview, I can't believe I made the waitlist!

Same here! I finished out okay, but I was nervous on the non-behavioral stuff at the beginning and wished I could have gone back and answered differently.

Congrats to everyone who was accepted today! I'm so excited for you all! I got put on the wait list, down at #25. I'm disappointed because I absolutely loved the school, but I will try to stay hopeful! Anyone know if applicants usually move up much on the list between getting their initial slot and when the waitlist is finalized on April 15th?