Minnesota

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

catcrazy

Ohio State Class of '11
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Interview invitation to Minnesota received today via snail mail -- no specific date - one of three interview weekends in February for out of state students.

Members don't see this ad.

It's funny you posted, because for the past couple of days I've thought about putting up a thread asking if anyone had heard from MN.

Did they give you a choice of dates or did they say they would notify you later on?

There are three 'out of state' weekends -- Feb 10, 17, 24. They said they would send a specific date. Hope that helps!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for posting this! I'm going to go stalk my mailbox now!!!

UMN sent me the email interview date invite yesterday afternoon.

"We have arranged three interview weekends for non-resident students seeking admission to the University of Minnesota. The weekends are Feb 9-10, Feb. 16-17 and Feb. 23-24. Interview times are available on Friday and Saturday. Please plan to spend most of the day on Saturday at the College of Veterinary Medicine. A full program is planned on Saturday which includes tours of the college, student panels, and a general information session about the veterinary program at the University of Minnesota. We would ask that you e-mail your preference for an interview date... Interview time slots will be filled on a first-come, first-served basis. We will notify you via email within a week as to your specific interview time and date. You will be interviewing with two members of our interview team. A total of 30 veterinary faculty and professional staff have been trained to conduct the interview. Each interview will last approximately 50 minutes. The interview results, along with the subjective portion of your veterinary application, will determine the outcome of your application. 36 non-resident seats will be available in the entering class."

Anyone else interviewing on the 17th? It'd be nice to know someone there, as I will be almost as far away from home as I can get...:eek:

I'm interviewing on Friday, but I'll be doing the activities on Sat. So I'll be there for at least the morning. It also seems really far to me, esp weather wise. I think we're going to freeze.

Is anyone interviewing the 9th or the 10th? It would be nice for us to get together for dinner or drinks on the 9th, as I'm sure (as mentioned!) Minneapolis is quite far away from home for a lot of us. Hope to see some of you soon! :)

I'm interviewing on the 9th - pm me =)

Bring really warm clothes! I live 2 hours south of Minneapolis and it is 1 degree F today with a -15 to -25 degree wind chill. For the next three days the high is forecast to be -3 and the wind chill -20 to -30. Hopefully it will warm up some by the time you all get here, but still, bring warm clothes. Also, don't let the weather deter you. The U of Mn is a great school and it is only cold like this for about 2 weeks out of the year. Good luck!!!!

Anyone else interviewing on the 17th? It'd be nice to know someone there, as I will be almost as far away from home as I can get...
Yeah, I am. But if you're in NY, then MN is equally far from from home for me, as I'm in CA... :)

i'm interviewing on the 10th. pm me if you wanna chat/ hang out. :D

does anyone know how many out of state students they are interviewing?

Members don't see this ad :)
The letter says, "Of the 1,010 applicants for fall 2007 admission, we plan to interview approximately 230 students to fill a class of 90 entering students."

So, I guess this means that we have about a 39% chance!

They seem to be pretty organized - I got an email with a spreadsheet telling us exactly where we had to be and when, based upon our interview times.

Best of luck to all - this may be the longest 50 minutes of my life!!!

p.s. not sure if these numbers include in state residents or not!

i think that is in-state and out of state, b/c their total class size is 90, but they take 35 out of state
i could be confused thought...actually i obviously am
good luck too! it is going to be a looong 50min

so those of you who interviewed this weekend, how was the school? how was the town? was it reaalllly cold. can't wait to check it out!

It was unbelievably cold. Like a million daggers hitting my skin. The whole time the CVM staff were trying to assure us that it's not usually that cold. I wasn't convinced =) You can move around the entire CVM without having to step outside though so thats nice.

The facilities were nice, people were nice, interview was easy-peasy. Their major selling point is their large case load (35,000 cases/yr). The major drawback I saw, for me, is that residency is quite difficult to get, so most folks simply have no choice but to pay out of state tuition for 4 yrs.

Parking on campus is $150/semester for a parking lot waaaay far away (walking in snow/ice for 4 months out of the year), or you can enter a lottery to win a $350/semester parking permit for a covered parking lot right next to the building. Buses are seen as the way to go.

They have a cat scan and are getting a MRI for the small animal clinic. They have hydra therapy for small and lg animal but my guide said they don't use it much. Small animal surgery has 6 operating tables, or small in other words. Dairy is off campus. Equine facilities were nice, roomy, and seemed to have plenty of available activities to sign up for whereas small animal seemed like you'd have to sleep with someone in order to get your hands dirty. My guide said they also see a lot of llamas.

My guide also said they coddle you during the 1st year then kind of have a "sink or swim" attitude the 2nd year. Since he was a 2nd year I didn't take that tooo seriously. 1st and 2nd years share a tiny lounge and mailbox area. Locker rooms are separated by gender, complete with a shower, but the shower is used as storage at the moment. Anatomy is in the basement and is small and not well lit, but there is a camel skeleton on the wall, and every anatomy lab should have that =) Histology lab is niiiice, you get your own cubby, theres 4 monitors on the walls, and 3 profs circulate a classroom of 90 students per class time.

The first year auditorium was very comfy, very nice, not like a movie theater but more like a conference room.
They do have a mentoring program, but you have to sign up for it and seems like no one really uses it.
You can make up to two "D"s and they won't fail you. Mn has an exceptionally high student retention rate. You start doing surgeries the 2nd semester of the 2nd year. Terminals in 3rd year. Not many students go on to do internships as there are many many clinics in the large city area that snatch up new grads.
Rent for 1BR apt should cost about $700/month. Average 3BR house relatively near campus $250-300k
The anatomy prof designed his own anatomy website, for anyone to use. It's fantastic.
http://vanat.cvm.umn.edu

I have an interview on feb 24th. Any suggestions? I'm trying to prepare myself for the behavioral interview portion with situations and types of questions. Does anyone else have an interview that weekend? I think those three weekend were just for out-of-staters? or is it both?

Hi Vetgirl! I just got back from my interview last night. All I can say is that they were all sooooo nice! They ask you about 10 behavioral questions, none of which are particularly hard. Just try to have a number of life experiences prepared ahead of time! Honestly, they are so nice, you have nothing to worry about! Good luck!

Anyone else have interview feedback from Minnesota? Thanks!!!

Thank you! Yeah those life experiences. Good luck to you too. Hopefully I"ll see you on the other side.

Yea I agree with the ppl ahead of me. There were a limited number of questions that they ask you... but make sure you bring lots of questions to ask them bc there's like 10-15 minutes at the end for you to ask the interviewers questions, and there's also the tour and student panel for you to ask the current students questions. I don't know what other ppl did in their interviews... but a lot of the interviewees didn't have anything to ask during the panel. Maybe they asked them all on their tour but I don't know. My tour was really fun, there were just three interviewees total on the tour, so we were all able to ask whatever, and we could hear the guide. lol.

Ah yes - I forgot about the tour! Mine was actually one on one! :thumbup:
(A big improvement from the tour I had at Illinois, where there were so many people in the group that you couldn't even hear the guide!)

As for the interview, it is always good to have some questions ready for them at the end...I think the amount of time for them depends on your particular interview. My interview actually went well over an hour - and I didn't even notice! Still, even though we had taken so much time, they still were interested in my questions.

I just can seem to say enough nice things about the people and the school! Aside from the cold, I really don't think I have anything bad to say!

You'll do fine! Good luck!

Anyone else have interview feedback from Minnesota? Thanks!!!
I was truly impressed. Applying to MN was kind of an afterthought for me, and now I'm really thinking it's probably the best fit out of everywhere I've been so far. I really like that they stress hands-on involvement from the beginning of the very first semester.

I was kind of afraid, after getting that super-complicated spreadsheet from Ms. Nelson, that the interview day was going to be so regimented and hurried as to not allow any socialization or casual conversation with students. Not to worry. They had a lot of current students around, and the tour groups were very small, very casual. My group was two current students who had teamed up, with four interviewees and a Mom. The students were personable and funny. ("This is Surgery, but the door is locked... that's OK, we discovered a secret back entrance through Dentistry earlier today, so we can get you in to see the surgery suite..." oh, and "This is Radiology... we don't know where the light switch is, but it will be dark any time you come in here anyway, so come on in...")

During the tour we were talking about our interests, I mentioned that I'd really like to branch out and learn a bit about wildlife and zoo medicine, and one of the students told me to skip the student panel and go over to the Raptor Center to jump in on their 1:00 public program. She met me outside the auditorium after the overview/welcome talk, and even made an announcement to see if anyone else wanted to go. Seemed totally unconcerned that any administrative-type people who might be around would be angry that I missed one of the scheduled activities (I'd been asking current students questions all morning, after all) to do something extra that interested me.

I'm also in general very creeped out by the behavioral interviewing technique, and definitely can't say I enjoyed having to answer those questions. But, my interviewers were very casual, we joked a bit, they seemed to be trying hard to make me comfortable, and they seemed eager to answer my questions at the end of the interview.

Partly my impression might be the "Midwesterners are so nice" reaction that is standard to people from the coasts, but most of the current students I met were not native Midwesterners, so the attitude seems to rub off pretty quickly. :)

Yea I agree with the ppl ahead of me. There were a limited number of questions that they ask you... but make sure you bring lots of questions to ask them bc there's like 10-15 minutes at the end for you to ask the interviewers questions, and there's also the tour and student panel for you to ask the current students questions. I don't know what other ppl did in their interviews... but a lot of the interviewees didn't have anything to ask during the panel. Maybe they asked them all on their tour but I don't know. My tour was really fun, there were just three interviewees total on the tour, so we were all able to ask whatever, and we could hear the guide. lol.

Thats my biggest problem. I can never think up questions. Whats kinds of questions did people ask?

Thats my biggest problem. I can never think up questions. Whats kinds of questions did people ask?

I specifically asked about what I was interested in. For me that was research opportunities, poultry stuff, case load info, ect.

I also poked around on their website looking for stuff that I'd like to know more about.

Basically I figured that if I'm lucky enough to get more than one offer, this is the time to find out the info I'll want to decide where I need to go.

Hope that helps.

so i just have to say I LOVE MINNESOTA! For those of you who had interviews that weekend, or any weekend i guess, what did you think?

I agree Hiatus!! I loved it there as well! :thumbup:

So I get the mail today. On the top was an envelope from Penn - I got their phone call right after the interview and had been wondering where my official letter was (I know you're thinking "this is a thread about Minnesota" but hang on, this is important back-story), so I'm thinking "sweet, official letter from Penn, wonder if they're giving me a big fat scholarship, ha-ha."

Under this were several other regular letter-size envelopes, which is unusual because mostly all I ever get is junk mail. So I think, "wouldn't it be wild to hear from Penn and Minnesota in the same day" (aha, now we're getting closer to the thread topic). The next envelope in the stack was from Minnesota. :eek: Regular letter-size, but thick, with a brochure inside. :eek::eek: I tore it open. I skimmed for the "Congratulations." I didn't see one, but my eyes did stick on "waiting." Damn, was I waitlisted? I calm down enough to actually start reading. It says:

"As you are in the midst of waiting to hear from veterinary colleges, we wanted to tell you about a unique opportunity ... blah blah ... Doctor of Veterinary Medicine and Master of Public Health dual degree program ... blah blah blah ..."

AAAAAAAAAGH!

Dr. Minicucci talked about the DVM/MPH program at the interview weekend. It sounded cool. She seemed very enthusiastic and really nice. BUT WHO IN THEIR RIGHT MIND WOULD DO SOMETHING LIKE THIS TO A WAITING APPLICANT???!!???

:mad: :rolleyes:

(For any lurking Minnesota adcom members, this doesn't change the fact that I really loved your program. Please let me in! :D)

Got the same letter yesterday, and my poor mom freaked out!!!

CONGRATS OTTOLOVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:thumbup:
are you in or out of state?
fingers crossed,

seaturtlegirl

I had my interview on saturday and they said that since the admissions office is moving and all their stuff is in boxes, the letters probably wont go out for another 2-3 weeks. Good luck everybody!

I don't know if people want to know this or not, but I got my acceptance letter from Minnesota today (3/8, via snail mail). They were by far and away my first choice, and I'm thrilled!!!!!!!!:)

Congrats Serendipity4! Are you in state or out-of-state?

Thanks! :)
I've got in-state residency.

I got in!! I can't believe it!! Cannot, at all, believe it. I found out while I was in a hot tub! Of all places. Started squealing and jumping like crazy =)

Congratulations, Infinivet! Is that where you're going to go? Will we be classmates?!

:thumbup: awww... congrats Infinivet and serendipity4!!! :D i am so happy for you guys!

I got my acceptance in the mail today! I am in-state... and I was looking at the webpage today and am SUPER pumped about the new equine facility. It looks incredible :D

Congratulations, Infinivet! Is that where you're going to go? Will we be classmates?!

Thanks you guys so much! I can't stop grinning like an idiot!

I haven't heard back from Ohio or A&M quite yet, in order to make the final decision - but I know at least I will be going to Mn if I don't get in to the other places =)

Thanks you guys so much! I can't stop grinning like an idiot!

I haven't heard back from Ohio or A&M quite yet, in order to make the final decision - but I know at least I will be going to Mn if I don't get in to the other places =)
I hear you on the being incapable to stop grinning like an idiot!

Hmmm.... well for your sake, I hope you get into the other two schools so you can make the decision that's best for you (and I really do wish you good luck!!!!). That said, if you don't get into the other two schools, or if you do and decide to go to Minnesota anyways, then I look forward to being your new classmate! :)

what did the envelopes look like? (i like to torture myself it seems)

Just got my acceptance letter from UMN!!!:D

For those who are stalking the mailbox...(hiatus and vetgirl) THIS IS A BIG WHITE ENVELOPE!!!

GOOD LUCK!!!!

Congratulations seaturtlegirl! I hope to see you in Minnesota in August!!!! :)

i just got the big white envelope!!!! :D okay... i have to go back to jumping up and down! go gophers! good luck to everyone still waiting!!! :luck: :luck: :luck:

Congratulations k9 <3er!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am SOOOOO happy for you :D

Hey guys, ha I know I got mine yesterday too!!!! I got home around 6pm from work and opened the mailbox and there it was. I dont think it hit me until oh a couple hours later that I'm going to vet school!!!!! Congrats on those who got in. I still can't believe it. Good luck to those still waiting. Oh yeah:

so I got it on 3/9, and I'm out-of state. heehee!

Congrats everyone!!!! Maybe we'll all be classmates soon...
Now it's almost decision-making time! Just curious K9 - any favorites for you? Looks like you've got quite a choice ahead of you - Congrats to all!!:thumbup: