Minnesota 2025-2026 (c/o 2030 hopefuls)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Does anyone know how fast the out of state waitlist moves or if it has moved? Have a friend waiting to find out acceptance!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I did not see a thread created for the the class of 2030 hopefuls yet! Hi everyone! Good luck and post updates or UMN related stuff here, if you feel so inclined.
Moved your post to the thread you were looking for 🙂
 
Yes, good luck to everyone!! If you have any questions about Minnesota's timeline, application process, or post admission stuff, feel free to ask. 🙂 They're very responsive via email so also be sure to contact them with more personal questions. I don't really remember hearing much from them before interview invites in late December (December 29, I think?).
 
Historically, it has been after the holidays before Minnesota gets back to people. So on the bright side, you have a while to wait knowing you won't here anything, but on the downside, you have a while to wait knowing you won't hear anything lol
 
For those who want last year's timeline:

Interview offers were sent out the morning of December 30th. Interviews took place the last week of January. On February 5th I got a phone call mid-afternoon that I had been accepted! Between interview offers being sent out and the actual interviews they had a bunch of "get to know us" Zoom sessions that were very helpful.
 
Do we have to submit transcripts for our fall semester? If so, where do we find that information?
Nope! Per their website "Fall semester/quarter grades in progress at the time the application is submitted will not be included in the evaluation of applicants. The academic record used in the evaluation of applicants will conclude as the applicant's academic record stands at the end of summer term prior to the mid-September application deadline. Those offered provisional admission to the class of 2030 will send a final transcript at the end of spring term 2026, which will reflect grades received fall 2025 and spring 2026, if applicable."
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So are we expected to hear back by next week for interviews? 😭
Hopefully next week. They haven’t said anything specific but I think it’s roughly the same timeline as last year. It was 12/30 for interview invites, mid-late January for interviews, and decisions were 02/05.

You’re so close! The waiting is the worst part.
 
Me next week waiting on "the" email. Good Luck everyone. Be gentle to yourself. Take screen breaks. Breathe.

No Way Wow GIF by Adele Morse - Stoned Fox Official
 
Best of luck, everyone! Remember, a decision doesn’t reflect who you are as a person or who you will become as a veterinarian! Schools have to make very hard decisions with so many highly qualified candidates. I’m rooting for all of you!

ETA: I don’t have any info on when invites will go out, but the corresponding day compared to last year would be tomorrow, so I think it’s very possible you’ll hear soon. Fingers crossed, I know how agonizing the wait is….. TBH, really try to disconnect as much as possible as you wait for decisions. Give yourself at least a couple hours a day where you put your phone in another room and don’t touch it.
 
OOS Rejection :/ (First one this cycle and it really stings). They listed their GPA averages and I thought i’d advance (I have a 3.6 cGPA and 3.7 last 45). Definitely gonna ask for a file review….maybe my essay/experience wasn’t enough (but my rejection letter said I didnt advance past the grade evaluation stage).
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Congratulations!! Do you mind if I ask what your GPAs were?
Thanks! And sure - I have a 3.33 cGPA, 3.73 science, and ~3.8 last 45. I think my prerec was in the 3.6 range for UMN. I’m not sure which GPAs they actually use for their initial evaluation though. Hang in there! The first rejection hurts but it has no bearing on other schools' decisions at all
 
Thanks! And sure - I have a 3.33 cGPA, 3.73 science, and ~3.8 last 45. I think my prerec was in the 3.6 range for UMN. I’m not sure which GPAs they actually use for their initial evaluation though. Hang in there! The first rejection hurts but it has no bearing on other schools' decisions at all
Thank you 💛 and good luck!!
 
Does anyone know if admissions keeps track of who attends their webinars?
I highly doubt it. Do you mean the ones you have watched before or the additional informational ones before interviews? If the latter, I watched those after I was admitted to learn more about the school and make my decision. You are not required to attend these and they’re just meant to give you information about UMN. I do think the webinars are very helpful, though.
 
OOS rejection. According to their email they don’t even look at your experiences or essays if you don’t pass GPA “requirements”. I have an overall 3.6 gpa with a 3.8 in my last 45 so i was tempted to file review because I think it’s a bit unfair to solely base on grades and not even look into essays or experience. I just feel a grade should not define a person, as each undergraduate program teaches and grades differently.
 
OOS rejection. According to their email they don’t even look at your experiences or essays if you don’t pass GPA “requirements”. I have an overall 3.6 gpa with a 3.8 in my last 45 so i was tempted to file review because I think it’s a bit unfair to solely base on grades and not even look into essays or experience. I just feel a grade should not define a person, as each undergraduate program teaches and grades differently.
I know it's disappointing to not get the result you wanted. Programs receive thousands of applications. They have to have a way to screen people, like it or not - they simply don't have the staff to read every single application. Every program has some sort of initial screening process, though they vary in what factors into it.

If you do a file review, go into it with the mindset of seeing how you can improve your application for future years, not looking for a gotcha! moment. Hugs for the tough news.
 
I know it's disappointing to not get the result you wanted. Programs receive thousands of applications. They have to have a way to screen people, like it or not - they simply don't have the staff to read every single application. Every program has some sort of initial screening process, though they vary in what factors into it.

If you do a file review, go into it with the mindset of seeing how you can improve your application for future years, not looking for a gotcha! moment. Hugs for the tough news.

I know it's disappointing to not get the result you wanted. Programs receive thousands of applications. They have to have a way to screen people, like it or not - they simply don't have the staff to read every single application. Every program has some sort of initial screening process, though they vary in what factors into it.

If you do a file review, go into it with the mindset of seeing how you can improve your application for future years, not looking for a gotcha! moment. Hugs for the tough news.
Thanks for the kind words. Not exactly trying to say “gotcha” to them. It’s more so just being more clear on the prerequisite side of things is what I would be looking for. They advised I retry taking any science prerequisites that I got lower than a B- in but I have never gotten below a B in any prerequisite courses so I am at a standstill on that. But I likely won’t do a file review mainly because I simply do to not have the funds to try and retake courses at the time and would rather students who may have more urgent questions get that chance !
 
OOS rejection. According to their email they don’t even look at your experiences or essays if you don’t pass GPA “requirements”. I have an overall 3.6 gpa with a 3.8 in my last 45 so i was tempted to file review because I think it’s a bit unfair to solely base on grades and not even look into essays or experience. I just feel a grade should not define a person, as each undergraduate program teaches and grades differently.
I thought the same with my rejection and I have similar stats! I did request a file review though. They’re scheduled meets that happen between March and August of next year I believe.
 
Thanks for the kind words. Not exactly trying to say “gotcha” to them. It’s more so just being more clear on the prerequisite side of things is what I would be looking for. They advised I retry taking any science prerequisites that I got lower than a B- in but I have never gotten below a B in any prerequisite courses so I am at a standstill on that. But I likely won’t do a file review mainly because I simply do to not have the funds to try and retake courses at the time and would rather students who may have more urgent questions get that chance !
I would still do the file review. Applicants often underestimate the importance of their written components and LORs.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
OOS Rejection :/ (First one this cycle and it really stings). They listed their GPA averages and I thought i’d advance (I have a 3.6 cGPA and 3.7 last 45). Definitely gonna ask for a file review….maybe my essay/experience wasn’t enough (but my rejection letter said I didnt advance past the grade evaluation stage).

OOS rejection. According to their email they don’t even look at your experiences or essays if you don’t pass GPA “requirements”. I have an overall 3.6 gpa with a 3.8 in my last 45 so i was tempted to file review because I think it’s a bit unfair to solely base on grades and not even look into essays or experience. I just feel a grade should not define a person, as each undergraduate program teaches and grades differently.

UMN doesn't consider cGPA, only pre-req and last 45. The good news is that they do full grade replacement, so if there are pre-reqs where your grades were weaker, you could take them at a CC before the next cycle to boost your GPA. Yall have a strong last 45, so I would imagine your prereq GPA came out lower than their cutoff.


Scroll down to pre-reqs and open their admissions planning guide (PDF). PDF pages 12-14 have more specific details when it comes to coursework and GPA considerations.
 
Does anyone know how many OOS interviews are held compared to the ~50 seats in the class? And how big the waitlist is?