Magnetek Blue

5+ Year Member
Jul 24, 2009
Status
Medical Student
Is there a list anywhere of schools that accept mainly minority students? I am a white, over-represented majority, and I don't want to accidentally waste my time and money on a school that accepts primarily URMs.

I know Howard and Meharry mainly accept URMs, but are there more :confused:

adeline

idk my bff ***?
Jul 24, 2009
Status
it's flagged on the updated school selector
and i think on aamc

riceman04

10+ Year Member
Mar 21, 2005
Los Angeles
Status
Medical Student
morehouse even more so than the other two b/c of its small class size....

Drew/UCLA

adeline

idk my bff ***?
Jul 24, 2009
Status

jaxasp

I'm not an ambi-turner
Jun 19, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
lol, maybe not in medicine, but the thread topic is asking which schools caucasians shouldn't apply to. there is no way ucla is on that list because they have a high amount of asian students.

BlueElmo

10+ Year Member
Sep 7, 2006
Status
Medical Student
UCLA? I thought they just had a large Asian population but maybe I'm wrong.
I believe Drew/UCLA is the program for minorities. What most people apply to is the Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA, the regular MD track.

Rendar5

15+ Year Member
Nov 12, 2003
Florida
Status
Attending Physician
Actually, all those schools you should apply to as a caucasian or any other ethnicity. Just look at the mission statements because those schools do take them seriously. If you're not interested in pursuing the kind of medicine they're looking to train you for (i.e. serving in underserved communities, etc.), then you'll have a hard time getting in regardless of ethnicity. And if you are and you show it, they'll be interested in you, regardless of ethnicity.

riceman04

10+ Year Member
Mar 21, 2005
Los Angeles
Status
Medical Student
Actually, all those schools you should apply to as a caucasian or any other ethnicity. Just look at the mission statements because those schools do take them seriously. If you're not interested in pursuing the kind of medicine they're looking to train you for (i.e. serving in underserved communities, etc.), then you'll have a hard time getting in regardless of ethnicity. And if you are and you show it, they'll be interested in you, regardless of ethnicity.
:thumbup:

Exalya

10+ Year Member
Dec 21, 2007
Dallas, TX
Status
Pre-Medical
I thought Meharry was welcoming to Caucasians of disadvantaged backgrounds... at least, so they seem to indicate.