Miracle GOD; Naplex 2018

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Highly favored

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So after lurking around here for a very long time and receiving helpful advice, it is only right that I give back to this community.
I finally took the exam after postponing it over and over because I was so nervous about not passing.
I studied on and off for but studied hard core for about 4 months and intensively around 2-3 weeks of the exam.
Resources used:
1. Pray, pray, pray. With God all things are possible. When you ask God to give you the strength, wisdom, knowledge, and grace to help you through this, trust me, He hears and does it!! Am a living testimony to this! I prayed everytime before and after studying. The peace it gave me is indescribable. Just do your part and God will take care of the rest. God was my beginning and end.
Now to the physical reaources.

2. Rxprep textbook. Very comprehensive, detailed, overwhelming sometimes. I used it heavily for the big topics (DM, Anticoag, HIV, Dyslipidemia, HTN, ID, Biostats, Antipsych, Sterile Compounding 797.) Rxprep have really good mnemonics so make sure you have them down. It will save you time to remember stuff on the exam like being able to tell if there will be a DDI between agents due to it being in the G-PACMAN or PS PORCS category.. trust me. (PS PORCS, G-PACMAN, chemo man to name a few)

3. Pharmacy Charts (very concise, straight to the point, easy to memorize stuff in charts, plus cool mnemonics. eg. MANBABE for beta selective agents). When RXPREP became too overwhelming, this book saved me! It hits stuff you need to know in such an easy layout. For example, this book condenses a Rxprep 15 detailed pages of information on a topic into 2-3 pages (I kid you not.) It became a huge help for me for those small topics like Gout, MS, Alzheimers, etc. Even the huge topics as well.

4. Meded 101; 2 sets of 250 Practice Exams questions package (500 questions $45 for both) This exam is very good. Helps you gauge how well you really know your stuff.

5. Tahurs notes on SDN forum are amazing (very helpful). God bless this guy wherever he is. He's a legend on this platform.

6. UNC website: The Pharmaceutics and Compounding.
I advise everyone read up on this website for 797 and 795. Very, very thorough. RXPREP was not so good with 797 and 795.

The Pharmaceutics and Compounding Laboratory

Click on the tab "Resources", then click on "Excipients used in pharmaceutical compounding." This is ALL the info needed on excipients. It may seem like foreign language to you due to all those compound names because I felt the same way, but just looking over and over on all those compounds and what category they fall into will help you retain some, especially the ones with the common names. Brush up on it whenever you have some down time, make it a habit.

Sterile compounding: The Pharmaceutics and Compounding Laboratory

7. Comprehensive Pharmacy Review for NAPLEX: Practice Exams, Cases, and Test Prep.

Mind you, this is the 8th edition, back in 2013 so be sure to check guidelines as you work through questions. I must say, this is a very great book to use. It has 2 practice tests each 190 questions with excellent detailed answers and explanations. Very comprehensive. It also has like 31 case- type questions with again excellent detailed answers/explanations, tons of math problems, a section of questions dedicated to OTC drugs. This resource is a MUST, MUST, MUST!! It was soo helpful to me! I googled practice quesitons and thank God this popped up in my search results.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...FjAAegQIARAB&usg=AOvVaw2YtZFRDMIqzszRDDHjghYf

Google stuff and use reputable sources. As you can see, I used multiple sources which is great because you need different approaches so as to not throw you off on the actual exam day because you were used to seeing things from one perspective.

During the exam, I had a serious panic attack, I felt I couldn't complete the exam, my brain was so foggy, and to make matters worse, the test version I got was difficult.
I had about 70% of select all that apply. Ladies and gentleman, no pharmacy student wish to get select all that apply questions, but that's what I got. I was like are you kidding me?!! It was like every other question was select all that apply. I almost gave up, I had to take an unscheduled break with the timer running because I couldn't focus at all; I was a mess. I remember being able to do the math problems and biostat calcs well enough. I felt weak mentally, emotionally, and physically, but
spiritually strong. With about 70% select all that apply, I passed under all these circumstances.
Guys, there is a Miracle working God. He works signs and wonders. I honestly thought I failed the exam considering all that I went through during it. It is only by God's grace I made it.
Some people are not good test-takers but it doesn't mean they dont know their stuff. They usually are really good in practice. I have learned so much, and am ready to use it to help people.
Hope my very, very lengthy post will help anybody out there. Thanks to all who helped us here on this platform; your advice are very much appreciated.
Remember with God, All things are possible. Miracle working God!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
3. Pharmacy Charts (very concise, straight to the point, easy to memorize stuff in charts, plus cool mnemonics. eg. MANBABE for beta selective agents). When RXPREP became too overwhelming, this book saved me! It hits stuff you need to know in such an easy layout. For example, this book condenses a Rxprep 15 detailed pages of information on a topic into 2-3 pages (I kid you not.) It became a huge help for me for those small topics like Gout, MS, Alzheimers, etc. Even the huge topics as well.

God bless you for your post! Is this the same book you mentioned?

2018.5 Edition Pharmacy Charts - NAPLEX, CPJE RX Review | eBay

Members don't see this ad :)
I have also failed the Naplex multiple times, but was able to pass in July with a pretty good score and it is all thanks to God. As someone who has tried almost every resource and tried all methods, this was the first time that I truly opened up to God and asked for his help and prayed, and witnessed an absolutely miracle. What I did differently than the previous times that I took it was:

A) Have some faith and forgive yourself, as obvious as that sounds, it is hard to not be negative when you fail the Naplex and its even worse when there are other people and family members relying on your success. After failing multiple times, I was in a state of depression, had given up and was borderline suicidal. It wasn't until listening to a sermon in Church about what it means to be a Man, accepting yourself for what you are and trusting God that I was able to pull myself back up. Find something to believe in, or believe in God, pray, after all if you are at the bottom of the barrel, then what do you have to lose? In addition to studying, I truly dedicated myself to praying and reading the bible almost everyday. When I prayed, I was 100% honest with God and asked him to bless me and give me wisdom before I even began studying for the day. As Highly Favored mentioned above, the PEACE that I received from my anxiety and worry was indescribable. On the day of the exam, I just told God let your will be done, and I can tell you with complete confidence that I breezed through my Naplex, in fact I was in such a groove that I didn’t even take my second break and finished early enough to say a prayer before hitting the submit button. Of all the times that I have taken the Naplex, I have never felt at peace or as confident as I did this last time.

B) Use a different source, I was so dead set on Rxprep that I was unable to see that it wasn't working for me. Rxprep is a great resource, but it may not be ideal for everyone. A friend recommended PassNaplexNow and this course was a lifesaver. I attended the live course in LA, listened to the lectures and studied the slides extensively. After I took the course, something just clicked in my brain, and I was able to put it all together. I am a very conceptual learner, and very bad at memorizing and the course does a great job of explaining the concepts well, which made memorization easier and more organized in my brain. I would recommend getting the material early, and once you are done with the book and lectures, attend the course and then try to take the Naplex ASAP after you take the course. I did this process in reverse (attended the course first, then read the book and lectures) but still ended up doing well.

C) Change it up, whatever you are doing is not working so clearly a change is needed. My method that I used previously was to quiz using practice questions using a test bank after I was done studying..and basically doing a combo of test banks and reviewing towards the end. As effective as that might have been for others and many of my friends, for some reason it wasn't effective for me. This time around, I studied the PNN book, listened to the lectures, but instead of doing practice problems from a quiz bank, I recruited one of my friends to quiz me daily two weeks leading up to the exam. This method worked wonders, when I took the exam, I was able to recall a lot simply because of the questions she asked and my responses to them. As far as Calculations and Biostats goes, I would recommend doing as many practice questions as possible. Be honest with yourself and find out what your weaknesses are, mine was therapeutics so I spent majority of my time hitting the therapeutics portions and less on things that I knew well (Calculations and Biostats).

D) Repetition, it is the key to passing the Naplex. I would go far as to say that Studying whatever resource you are using is useless, unless you are constantly going back and re-reviewing what you are putting into your head. This was extremely hard for me because I have a family, and a small child, so it was hard for me to dedicate a lot of time studying. Be realistic with yourself, create a schedule and stick with it, it took me almost 3 months of studying about 4-5 hours/ day to pass.

E) Don’t be scared of the Pre-Naplex, it is a tool to assess if you are ready. I always had a lot of anxiety over take the Pre-Naplex, because I was afraid of what it meant, so I never took it on my previous attempts. I would highly recommend taking the pre-naplex, two weeks before or the week before your exam to see where you stand. In my opinion if you are scoring above a 90, you are ready to take the Naplex. My Pre-naplex score was very close to the score that I got on the actual exam.

F) Whatever you do, do not overload yourself the day before the exam. Do not cram, do not stay up all night, and do not overload your brain. Fact of the matter is that if you do not know your stuff the day before, you are not ready to take the exam. The day before my exam, all I did was practice some math problems (SDN 120), review Biostats concepts and problems, and light review of Index chapter of PNN. Around evening, I spent time with my family and went to sleep early.

G) The day of the exam, eat a good breakfast. Take some protein bars, almonds or Gatorade with you to hydrate and nourish yourself during the break. The exam is a test of mental endurance, I was dying for my first break. Eating a protein bar and Gatorade gave me enough stamina to power through the exam without taking a second break.

I know it seems like a big deal and the end of the world, but it is just an exam, and your performance on it does not define who you are as a person. Believe in yourself, Pray, Study, Review and Practice. You can do this and you will succeed.

• Love
I have also failed the Naplex multiple times, but was able to pass in July with a pretty good score and it is all thanks to God. As someone who has tried almost every resource and tried all methods, this was the first time that I truly opened up to God and asked for his help and prayed, and witnessed an absolutely miracle. What I did differently than the previous times that I took it was:

A) Have some faith and forgive yourself, as obvious as that sounds, it is hard to not be negative when you fail the Naplex and its even worse when there are other people and family members relying on your success. After failing multiple times, I was in a state of depression, had given up and was borderline suicidal. It wasn't until listening to a sermon in Church about what it means to be a Man, accepting yourself for what you are and trusting God that I was able to pull myself back up. Find something to believe in, or believe in God, pray, after all if you are at the bottom of the barrel, then what do you have to lose? In addition to studying, I truly dedicated myself to praying and reading the bible almost everyday. When I prayed, I was 100% honest with God and asked him to bless me and give me wisdom before I even began studying for the day. As Highly Favored mentioned above, the PEACE that I received from my anxiety and worry was indescribable. On the day of the exam, I just told God let your will be done, and I can tell you with complete confidence that I breezed through my Naplex, in fact I was in such a groove that I didn’t even take my second break and finished early enough to say a prayer before hitting the submit button. Of all the times that I have taken the Naplex, I have never felt at peace or as confident as I did this last time.

B) Use a different source, I was so dead set on Rxprep that I was unable to see that it wasn't working for me. Rxprep is a great resource, but it may not be ideal for everyone. A friend recommended PassNaplexNow and this course was a lifesaver. I attended the live course in LA, listened to the lectures and studied the slides extensively. After I took the course, something just clicked in my brain, and I was able to put it all together. I am a very conceptual learner, and very bad at memorizing and the course does a great job of explaining the concepts well, which made memorization easier and more organized in my brain. I would recommend getting the material early, and once you are done with the book and lectures, attend the course and then try to take the Naplex ASAP after you take the course. I did this process in reverse (attended the course first, then read the book and lectures) but still ended up doing well.

C) Change it up, whatever you are doing is not working so clearly a change is needed. My method that I used previously was to quiz using practice questions using a test bank after I was done studying..and basically doing a combo of test banks and reviewing towards the end. As effective as that might have been for others and many of my friends, for some reason it wasn't effective for me. This time around, I studied the PNN book, listened to the lectures, but instead of doing practice problems from a quiz bank, I recruited one of my friends to quiz me daily two weeks leading up to the exam. This method worked wonders, when I took the exam, I was able to recall a lot simply because of the questions she asked and my responses to them. As far as Calculations and Biostats goes, I would recommend doing as many practice questions as possible. Be honest with yourself and find out what your weaknesses are, mine was therapeutics so I spent majority of my time hitting the therapeutics portions and less on things that I knew well (Calculations and Biostats).

D) Repetition, it is the key to passing the Naplex. I would go far as to say that Studying whatever resource you are using is useless, unless you are constantly going back and re-reviewing what you are putting into your head. This was extremely hard for me because I have a family, and a small child, so it was hard for me to dedicate a lot of time studying. Be realistic with yourself, create a schedule and stick with it, it took me almost 3 months of studying about 4-5 hours/ day to pass.

E) Don’t be scared of the Pre-Naplex, it is a tool to assess if you are ready. I always had a lot of anxiety over take the Pre-Naplex, because I was afraid of what it meant, so I never took it on my previous attempts. I would highly recommend taking the pre-naplex, two weeks before or the week before your exam to see where you stand. In my opinion if you are scoring above a 90, you are ready to take the Naplex. My Pre-naplex score was very close to the score that I got on the actual exam.

F) Whatever you do, do not overload yourself the day before the exam. Do not cram, do not stay up all night, and do not overload your brain. Fact of the matter is that if you do not know your stuff the day before, you are not ready to take the exam. The day before my exam, all I did was practice some math problems (SDN 120), review Biostats concepts and problems, and light review of Index chapter of PNN. Around evening, I spent time with my family and went to sleep early.

G) The day of the exam, eat a good breakfast. Take some protein bars, almonds or Gatorade with you to hydrate and nourish yourself during the break. The exam is a test of mental endurance, I was dying for my first break. Eating a protein bar and Gatorade gave me enough stamina to power through the exam without taking a second break.

I know it seems like a big deal and the end of the world, but it is just an exam, and your performance on it does not define who you are as a person. Believe in yourself, Pray, Study, Review and Practice. You can do this and you will succeed.
Wow.. that's what I said after reading your post. Indeed the Peace of Christ is indescribable! We serve a miracle working God. He deserves all the glory. He did it for you and am glad He did it for you too! Congrats!

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
God is definitely great, I passed naplex on my 2nd try. I was always a horrible test taker I struggled with exams even though I studied harder than all my classmates. When it came time for naplex and cpje I just knew it was gonna take me multiple shots to pass given my test taking skills have always been bad and my stress levels always get to me! I passed CPJE on the first try and I couldn’t believe it I know God was holding that computer mouse and answering the questions for me because I walked out saying I definitely failed! But God kept my head up and helped me pass one of the two exams. On the naplex I got a 74 and I was heart broken even though I knew I would never pass from the first time. I cried for days and nights nonstop fearing that that would happen over and over again. I studied smarter and harder and I prayed every single second of every single day!!! What I did different this time and aside from Gods guidance I know this strategy made a huge difference is I did ALL the questions in the question bank in RXPREP. On the first exam I had completed 43% of the question bank and most of the tests I took were in the 60-70% range the second time I completed 100% of the Q-bank and got either 85% or above and the math section I did all 5 parts maybe about 10x each till my scores were nearly 100% in each. With all that being done when I got out of the exam for the second time I cried so hard bc I felt that I failed again and that I didn’t know anything but God looks to our hard work and dedication and prayer and he answered my prayers and passed me and everyday in practice I thank him for his kind hands that didn’t leave me! Have hope and trust God he will help you and you will make it through this exam!!! God be with you all!

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
God is definitely great, I passed naplex on my 2nd try. I was always a horrible test taker I struggled with exams even though I studied harder than all my classmates. When it came time for naplex and cpje I just knew it was gonna take me multiple shots to pass given my test taking skills have always been bad and my stress levels always get to me! I passed CPJE on the first try and I couldn’t believe it I know God was holding that computer mouse and answering the questions for me because I walked out saying I definitely failed! But God kept my head up and helped me pass one of the two exams. On the naplex I got a 74 and I was heart broken even though I knew I would never pass from the first time. I cried for days and nights nonstop fearing that that would happen over and over again. I studied smarter and harder and I prayed every single second of every single day!!! What I did different this time and aside from Gods guidance I know this strategy made a huge difference is I did ALL the questions in the question bank in RXPREP. On the first exam I had completed 43% of the question bank and most of the tests I took were in the 60-70% range the second time I completed 100% of the Q-bank and got either 85% or above and the math section I did all 5 parts maybe about 10x each till my scores were nearly 100% in each. With all that being done when I got out of the exam for the second time I cried so hard bc I felt that I failed again and that I didn’t know anything but God looks to our hard work and dedication and prayer and he answered my prayers and passed me and everyday in practice I thank him for his kind hands that didn’t leave me! Have hope and trust God he will help you and you will make it through this exam!!! God be with you all!
We bless God for His unending grace and faithfulness. When we call on God, He will strengthen us and guide us to a perfect, expected end. He's able to deliver. Indeed God looks at our hard work too; praying alone doesn't produce the needed results but working hard as well, asking God to guide and direct you, along with having the faith that it is well. #Miracle God

I am so glad that I found this post today! I pray for the same favor that you got to study and pass the exam. God is good!
I hope to come here and testify soon <3

Reactions: 1 user
I am so glad that I found this post today! I pray for the same favor that you got to study and pass the exam. God is good!
I hope to come here and testify soon <3
God is good indeed! Please do testify! All glory belongs to God.!!!

Wondering how long it will take to master the calculations portion? Planning to dedicate a week solely for going through the calculations in RxPrep 2019 and the 120 SDN problems and am wondering if that should be sufficient. Will probably do brand/generic quizlets along with it

So I've read that knowing the top 200 brand/generic names is a must, but the 2019 book separates them into top OTC, top inpatient, and top outpatient drug names. Which do you think should be the most important to focus on if on a time crunch? I'm guessing outpatient? If you were to memorize all three sections it would be 500 drug names (with a couple overlapping here and there)

Thank you very much for your helpful post dear! Would you please tell what resources you used for Drug References chapter? I had alot of questions from this topic and I think RxPrep is not good enough for this chapter.