Misdemeanor Clarification

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ME1221

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi SDN,

I have been browsing the forums looking for an answer to my question, but am still in need of some clarity. Not sure if the language has changed over the years or what. Under misdemeanor the application states:

You must indicate if you have ever been convicted of, or pleaded guilty or no contest to, a misdemeanor crime, excluding (1) any offense for which you were adjudicated as a juvenile, (2) any convictions that have been expunged or sealed by a court, or (3) any misdemeanor convictions for which you completed any probation and for which the court dismissed the case (in states where applicable).

A couple of years ago, I received a summons due to intoxication by a minor. I went to court and was 'sentenced' to community service, which I completed with the thought that this was dismissed. Would this mean that the circumstance falls under #3 and need not be reported on the application?

Thanks in advance all!

Members don't see this ad.

The key to this is whether or not you 'thought' it was dismissed or it was actually dismissed. As posted above the community service may have been a form of punishment (i.e., in lieu of jail time) but not necessarily probation/dismissal. You need to be sure about this.

Members don't see this ad :)
You should seek clarification on what the disposition of the case is, and if you still are confused - seek the advice of a legal professional

If it was punishment rather than probation, what is the best way to handle this with the AAMC?

If it was punishment rather than probation, what is the best way to handle this with the AAMC?

Probation technically is still punishment. You'd have to report it

Alternatively, OP you can also run a background check through certiphi, though it'll cost you. That way you can see exactly the report that an adcom will see and plan your responses accordingly.

Most likely have to report. Not a bog deal.

Hi SDN,

I have been browsing the forums looking for an answer to my question, but am still in need of some clarity. Not sure if the language has changed over the years or what. Under misdemeanor the application states:

You must indicate if you have ever been convicted of, or pleaded guilty or no contest to, a misdemeanor crime, excluding (1) any offense for which you were adjudicated as a juvenile, (2) any convictions that have been expunged or sealed by a court, or (3) any misdemeanor convictions for which you completed any probation and for which the court dismissed the case (in states where applicable).

A couple of years ago, I received a summons due to intoxication by a minor. I went to court and was 'sentenced' to community service, which I completed with the thought that this was dismissed. Would this mean that the circumstance falls under #3 and need not be reported on the application?

Thanks in advance all!
you should contact the court to see if you can get a copy of any paperwork that might clarify your question.