Misdemeanor while in med school advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rths24

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Received a misdemeanor for trespassing on private property.. Because it's my first charge, we did pre-trial diversion aka I complete some CS and pay a fine and it's dismissed case.

Here's my problem, my school (not the actual medical school, but the overall university), somehow caught wind of this and sent an email to have a meeting and discuss what happened. If we accept responsibility we run the risk of getting a letter in my file for violating the code of conduct. They will also inform the actual medical school.

At this point I have not informed the medical school (at the advice of my lawyer). I also have a meeting with my lawyer before the meeting with the school representative.

Has anyone been in this situation? Or has any advice? This just feels like the dumbest thing that can ruin my future.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I worry about your Dean saying to you "So, rths, how come I had to find out about this from someone else?"

Would "my lawyer told me to do it that way" not be well received?

Let your dean know. If the Uni knows, he's gonna find out through their affiliation. That isn't something that would bar you from getting licensed.

Sounds like a headache either way. Good luck.

Apparently we are getting probation most likely unless we try to appeal it. This will go down as a code of conduct violation/sanction. Does anyone know how residency programs handle this? or if/how it goes on your MSPE?

Apparently we are getting probation most likely unless we try to appeal it. This will go down as a code of conduct violation/sanction. Does anyone know how residency programs handle this? or if/how it goes on your MSPE?
Not sure if they will put it on your MSPE. You have to report all misdemeanors and felonies on ERAS.

I'd ask the dean or whoever is heading up the disciplinary process if this will be reported when you apply to residency. How will they handle this? Best case scenario neutral, worst case scenario, they'd rather have someone that didn't do something stupid WHILE IN MED SCHOOL.

An NFLer beat his girlfriend to a pulp and got off with pleading down to trespassing. What was your real crime? Stalking an ex? Stealing narcotics?

Just explain yourself, hopefully you weren't doing something illegal with drugs or unethical, but it'll blow over. They're not going to kick you out unless you had it coming with other issues. it'll probably be in your application when you apply for residency but just explain yourself well and show that you made amends somehow/learned from it. I got a dumb misdemeanor and no one cared, now I am about to graduate residency from my no 1 ranked program who actually never even asked about it. I am applying for medical license and all I've had to do is provide the hard copy documentation of the ticket, so make sure to keep it with you.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm going to repeat the advice to listen to your lawyer with the qualifier that you should do so if your lawyer specializes in cases like yours.
An NFLer beat his girlfriend to a pulp and got off with pleading down to trespassing. What was your real crime? Stalking an ex? Stealing narcotics?
What an absurd statement.

I'm going to repeat the advice to listen to your lawyer with the qualifier that you should do so if your lawyer specializes in cases like yours.

What an absurd statement.

Duh what's absurd is you believe trespassing was his real crime. As in he walked on someone's lawn, the owner called the cops who swooped down on him, the owner pressed charges and the prosecutor agreed to drop the hammer?

The cop, prosecutor, victim and judge all had chances to use their discretion to let the guy off the hook. Whatever crime he committed was serious enough for everyone involved to unanimously agree he should be punished. Even hardened criminals are offered pleas on lesser charges. The question is what did he plead down from. I can see anything from stalking, assaulting someone in a bar, burglary or trashing a hotel room during a cocaine spree or something like that get negotiated down to trespassing.

Duh what's absurd is you believe trespassing was his real crime. As in he walked on someone's lawn, the owner called the cops who swooped down on him, the owner pressed charges and the prosecutor agreed to drop the hammer?

The cop, prosecutor, victim and judge all had chances to use their discretion to let the guy off the hook. Whatever crime he committed was serious enough for everyone involved to unanimously agree he should be punished. Even hardened criminals are offered pleas on lesser charges. The question is what did he plead down from. I can see anything from stalking, assaulting someone in a bar, burglary or trashing a hotel room during a cocaine spree or something like that get negotiated down to trespassing.

Or...OR... He was trespassing. As in partying in an abandoned building or something of that nature and police came. Just throwing a situation like that out there where trespassing was indeed the crime committed.

As someone a bit more familiar with the legal system than I'd like to be, I must admit that I do find this situation much more likely than "walked on a lawn."

However, the most common reason (in my experience) for a trespassing charge is a group of kids going somewhere they're not supposed to be (abandoned building, country club, protected land) to get drunk or smoke pot (or, if you're in high school, have sex). If you get caught sneaking to some places, like, say, a golf course in the middle of the night, the owner will probably press charges.

lol-how I missed these so many months ago I will never know. I was hunting with 3 other people, got separated from the group and was lost. Apparently the farmer's land I happened to wonder on has a huge issue with people coming through and was adamant that I was out there to steal 'his' deer or something idk. And when the, 'I'm sorry I was lost and don't hunt or know what I'm doing' (I'm a girl btw) card didn't play out---I totally played the 'I'm in med school please don't ruin my future' card, I learned that 'bad women doctors' killed his wife...so yes, it actually spiraled out of control and was a really, really bad day. I still don't understand how it happened---I just wanted to see what all the hubbub was about hunting, and clearly learned my lesson on that one. Sadly enough I was stone cold sober, I guess it would of been better if I was drunk or high for the purposes on here. Sorry my story is so lame its unbelievable

the school backed me up, but we got a reprimand and it won't be on MSPE. I did a pre trail diversion and expunged the charges after a nice hefty fine, now onto figuring out if i have to check yes or no on the ERAS about if I'd ever been convicted of a charge...

What would you say if you were a Dean?
Of course the dean will be self-interested at all times. If you have a lawyer, you should always listen to their advice. Really doubt the dean himself/herself would ignore legal advice if the case was against them. There's nothing dishonest done by the student, but because schools want to lord over every aspect of your existence, they will hold it against this student. However, there is no defense other than "at the advice of my attorney, I didn't do it" as he'll get railroaded anyway at this point.

lol-how I missed these so many months ago I will never know. I was hunting with 3 other people, got separated from the group and was lost. Apparently the farmer's land I happened to wonder on has a huge issue with people coming through and was adamant that I was out there to steal 'his' deer or something idk. And when the, 'I'm sorry I was lost and don't hunt or know what I'm doing' (I'm a girl btw) card didn't play out---I totally played the 'I'm in med school please don't ruin my future' card, I learned that 'bad women doctors' killed his wife...so yes, it actually spiraled out of control and was a really, really bad day. I still don't understand how it happened---I just wanted to see what all the hubbub was about hunting, and clearly learned my lesson on that one. Sadly enough I was stone cold sober, I guess it would of been better if I was drunk or high for the purposes on here. Sorry my story is so lame its unbelievable

the school backed me up, but we got a reprimand and it won't be on MSPE. I did a pre trail diversion and expunged the charges after a nice hefty fine, now onto figuring out if i have to check yes or no on the ERAS about if I'd ever been convicted of a charge...
Wow. I can't believe that happened to you. Med students do stupider stuff than that on a daily basis.

Sent from my SM-G930V using SDN mobile