Misdemeanor

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

2NiceNos

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
ee

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You gave the police officer a fake ID and then felt sympathetic so you could get away with the crime? This makes absolutely no sense to me.

I mean I was wasted, obviously not thinking straight. I drunkenly figured HE would be sympathetic. Will this kill my chances?

Members don't see this ad :)
I mean I was wasted, obviously not thinking straight. I drunkenly figured HE would be sympathetic. Will this kill my chances?

Idk how serious providing fictitious ID is perceived by ADCOM and it's going to be different for every school so I would say call the schools you are planning to apply to. Crimes of such nature can be concerning since providing false documentation in the medical field can/will lead to a Physician losing his license and a hospital getting fined. I think it depends on how long ago this incident occurred? If it happened more than a couple years ago while you were "immature" then you might not catch the heat for it but it's going to be tough.

Right, I'm just hoping they don't see in that "fraud" type of way. It happened a year ago and I'm 20 now, so I'm not sure what they'll think about that. You suggest I call the schools and simply ask them their stance on a misdemeanor of this nature? I feel like most of them would laugh in my ear.

Right, I'm just hoping they don't see in that "fraud" type of way. It happened a year ago and I'm 20 now, so I'm not sure what they'll think about that. You suggest I call the schools and simply ask them their stance on a misdemeanor of this nature? I feel like most of them would laugh in my ear.

If they do see you in that "fraud" way which I'm not going to lie to you some probably will since it's a recent occurence then you're obviously going to get turned down. Therefore, it's best to contact the school and speak to an Associate Dean or someone and save yourself the time, money and pain... If you feel uncomfortable don't disclose your name. Medical schools deal with thousands of applicants every year and I'm sure they have dealt with worse scenarios (felonies), they will be able to give you a professional opinion it might be vague but should give you an idea of the school's stance on such crimes. Unfortunately, the problem is there are so many applicants and such competition that medical schools aren't willing to take risks.

We tend to harsh of recent infractions, so yes, this may kill your chances for a few years. Your best chance of success will be to fully own up to it and don't even think of trying to make excuses. Were you DUI? We take that a lot more seriously than simple underage drinking. All of us were young once.

For a subpar applicant (3.5 cGPA, 3.3 sGPA) with decent EC (volunteering, intensive shadowing, Honors program projects, several campus groups, 1 yr of undergrad microbiology research) and some good LOR, will a misdemeanor completely screen me out? I'm taking my MCAT next week and have been scoring around 35, so I hope I can pull something like that off. As far as the crime, it's officially "obstructing official business" because I was drunk and gave a cop my fake ID; stupid me figured being sympathetic and explaining to him about it would get me off, instead I got hit with a misdemeanor. I've definitely grown from it and would be able to write a solid essay showing this, but does this throw my chances out of the window automatically?

I don't plan on making excuses, but I do believe that I was able to learn a HUGE lesson from it and it has made me a much better person -- I'm obviously not glad it happened but I believe I was able to mature a lot from it. No, I was not DUI and this was definitely an isolated incident.
The fact that it was just a year ago is what sucks, but I think it's something that you can survive. Have you looked for expungment? Then you wouldn't need to declare it at all.

Have to wait a year until it can be expunged, really bad timing, it has had a positive effect on me though. It showed me I had to buckle down, grow up, and get serious about my future. This year had my highest 2 semesters GPA-wise with all As this past semester, so I can always offer that as proof.
Just sit out and get that dealt with first. You don't want to deal with the BS associated with having to talk about that incident over and over. In a year, you can really beef up with research and other great activities. Heck, you can enjoy your life for a year before it's time to study like a madman.

Just sit out and get that dealt with first. You don't want to deal with the BS associated with having to talk about that incident over and over. In a year, you can really beef up with research and other great activities. Heck, you can enjoy your life for a year before it's time to study like a madman.

Do you think I should refrain from applying this cycle?

Well basically I'm curious as to what harm applying this cycle would do; are you implying that if I get no acceptances this cycle, that the next cycle I will seem a "tarnished" app? Maybe I could just apply to other schools next cycle if I get nothing this cycle. I know I'm still young but I'd rather not wait a year if someone will take me now.

Your application will be permanently blighted with any school you apply to now, while this misdemeanor is still on your record. Even if you can legitly leave it off your app in future attempts, they will definitely keep on file your admission now. It's hard to assess your ECs, which are vague, but your low GPAs on their own make it a bit of a crapshoot whether or not you'd get in anywhere right now, without even taking the misd. into account (if you score a 35 on MCAT, that will of course help).

It's tempting to just "give it a go", but given the very real permanent damage that will occur as a consequence (do not forget, your misd. is not trivial, for reasons explained above), it would be very foolish to do so. Just wait a year and get it expunged. Impatience can cost you dearly in this case.

Well basically I'm curious as to what harm applying this cycle would do; are you implying that if I get no acceptances this cycle, that the next cycle I will seem a "tarnished" app? Maybe I could just apply to other schools next cycle if I get nothing this cycle. I know I'm still young but I'd rather not wait a year if someone will take me now.
I strongly advice you to sit out. You will be damaged goods applying your second time around, but if you feel your world is ending at 20 because you will lose a year and are willing to compromise on going to a better program, go ahead and apply.

In the grand scheme of things if you can get this expunged in a year and not report it ever to any medical schools you will be better off;. I know right now you're panicking because you feel like a year is a long time but it's not. You can use it most importantly towards a post bacc to vastly improve your GPA, to gain extensive clinical experience, research and even study thoroughly for the MCAT and possibly score > 35.

Oh geez...great to start comtemplating this two days before my MCAT. If I do a post-bacc, will I owe schools an explanation to why I went that direction?

And I really have absolutely no preference on what school I go to, I'm wondering if I should just send a few schools my app this cycle, as long as I do well on the MCAT? If I get nothing from them, so be it, and I don't bother with them after a hopefully spiked post-bacc GPA? May be stretching it there but I've had my mind set on applying all year...man this sucks

Edit: Just realized that this won't be able to be expunged by next year's application..

Last edited: