1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

Missed Opportunity

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by Jwalker9, May 11, 2007.

1. Jwalker9

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Hey guys,
    I'm not trying to complain but i feel like i just messed up with Organic 2. I had a 92 going into the ACS final and dropped down to a B. I told myself that I would be fine with a B, but this would have been a really good chance to help my low GPA. The best BCPM GPA I can get now is a 3.35, where as I could have had a 3.5 if i hadnt blown the final. Oh well. I am just nervous since I am applying this upcoming cycle and I know my GPA is low (3.2 and change cumulative). Anybody in the same boat that needs to vent?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Halligan

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I'm sort of in the same boat, with a "low" science GPA, but decent overall.
    I don't need to vent, but just want to let you know that you'll be fine.

You know just as well as I do that ECs, MCAT, LORs, and your interview factor into the process as well. Keep your chin up, get your apps in early, and you'll be in the race with everyone else.

If I've learned one thing on here, it's that applying can be a big gamble. Sure, a great GPA and MCAT will help, but you'd be surprised how lucky people can get that don't have a perfect application.

Stop worrying!

Take care,

Kyle

4. Bacchus

Administrator Moderator Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Here's my vent... how can a professor give a grade of B for participation in a class where the instructor doesn't even know the names? I shouldn't be complaining, I apologize, but he decreased this semester from a 3.8 to a 3.68. (I know, boo hoo for me). It all works out, that's what I keep telling myself.

5. Dr JPH

Dr JPH Membership Revoked
    Removed 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    You got a B in organic?!

Youre going to be stuck going to a DO school. :(

6. Jwalker9

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Hah, well if JP makes it seem like a B is alright for DO school, that makes me feel better. JP, what are your thoughts on your sister school in Atlanta? It's my first choice for several reasons and I guess I'm looking for reassurance that I can get in there. I know youre really interested in OMM and word is that the OMM guy there is amazing. Any experience or imput on GA-PCOM?

7. Dr JPH

Dr JPH Membership Revoked
    Removed 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    The "OMM guy" at PCOM-GA is great. Excellent professor and clinician and overall "interesting" character.

PCOM-GA was able to woo some PCOM profs and administration away to move down there so they were lucky in that they are starting with some excellent docs.

Just like any other new school there will likely be bugs that need to be worked out over time, but I would feel better about PCOM-GA than another new school that wasnt a branch of an established institution.

PCOM is trying to make everything available to the GA campus. Simulcasting things like surgical grand rounds and important lectures, and trying to secure rotations spots at hospitals in this area as well.

PCOM is still the better choice, but if you have your heart set on Georgia I think you will do just fine there.

8. Sarikate

Sarikate Full of antioxidants
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    If it makes you feel any better, I got a C in one semester of organic and still got into seven DO schools! Must have been the cleavage (ha!)