Missing Classes due to Interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aclementine

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Class participation/attendance is an important part of evaluation for all of my classes, and I will be missing quite a few a them this semester. How should I tell my profs?

Even if they let me make up the missed time, I'm afraid talking to them about it will give me a bad name really early in the semester, which they will remember when marking my assignments/papers/exams/etc later on. Anyone else in this situation? What should I do?

Members don't see this ad.

Class participation/attendance is an important part of evaluation for all of my classes, and I will be missing quite a few a them this semester. How should I tell my profs?

Even if they let me make up the missed time, I'm afraid talking to them about it will give me a bad name really early in the semester, which they will remember when marking my assignments/papers/exams/etc later on. Anyone else in this situation? What should I do?

In my experience, professors are very understanding about missing class for interviews. Especially since that's what most people's ultimate goal is during undergrad- to get into grad school/professional school/etc. Just try and space the interviews out on different days of the week so you are not constantly missing the same classes. Good luck

Most teachers won't care when you tell them you will be missing class. You can avoid confrontation with those teachers that do care by notifying them as soon as you find out about an interview. A teacher has no reason to be upset if you give them a couple weeks notice. If you are forced to miss an assignment, the early notification will allow you and the professor to arrange an alternate due date. I have heard stories of teachers that will still consider it an unexcused absence, even with prior notification; so just make sure to attend all your classes, so you can afford to miss a couple due to interviews.

Just as the previous posts have said, give your teachers plenty of notice. In all of my classes where attendance was mandatory, the professors were excited for me and allowed me to make up my work. Be cool about it, and you should be fine.