missing volunteer components to strengthen application?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GatsbysBatman

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am planning to apply in 2023. I have non-clinical volunteering hours (2000+) leading a youth outreach for the past 5 years. I plan to shadow a doctor colleague when covid restrictions are reduced as they will not accept shadows for now (aiming to get at least 100 hours). In 2013 I worked in a clinical research position with dementia patients for 2 years. I am just wondering if I need any other clinical volunteer hours? Or some other volunteer hours that I am not aware of?

Members don't see this ad.

No, there's nothing clinical that a premed can volunteer that has any real value. You already have general volunteering to check off the box. Now just either shadow a physician or work as a scribe for one

Reactions: 1 user
I am planning to apply in 2023. I have non-clinical volunteering hours (2000+) leading a youth outreach for the past 5 years. I plan to shadow a doctor colleague when covid restrictions are reduced as they will not accept shadows for now (aiming to get at least 100 hours). In 2013 I worked in a clinical research position with dementia patients for 2 years. I am just wondering if I need any other clinical volunteer hours? Or some other volunteer hours that I am not aware of?

Your clinical research may or may not be considered clinical, depending on the nature of your duties in that role. Can you share more about what that job entailed?

Members don't see this ad :)
Your clinical research may or may not be considered clinical, depending on the nature of your duties in that role. Can you share more about what that job entailed?
I gave neuropsychology exams to Alzheimer's patients. Analyzed the data later on

I gave neuropsychology exams to Alzheimer's patients. Analyzed the data later on

Some adcoms might consider this sufficient clinical experience, but others might will probably to see that you've had some exposure to patients in a more standard setting. Since you have time before you apply, I like the earlier suggestion of scribing. I think that could be a really good boost to your application.

If your main focus is academics, you can't beat hospital volunteering. It's typically a once weekly 4 hour commitment. This will give you some of the "clinical experience" while also bolstering your volunteering, although you already had a significant number of non-clinical hours. Medical schools are looking for clinical experience, not specific skills that ultimately do not have anything to do with being a physician. What you get from the hospital volunteer experience will be sufficient. The money earned from an entry-level clinical job is pocket change compared to future earnings. Those schedules can be grueling, especially with a full load of science classes and studying for the MCAT. I've seen people ultimately destroy their chances because of entry-level clinical jobs. You are paying for convenience with clinical volunteering, and sometimes you might get lucky and get plenty of downtime for studying as well.

If your main focus is academics, you can't beat hospital volunteering. It's typically a once weekly 4 hour commitment. This will give you some of the "clinical experience" while also bolstering your volunteering, although you already had a significant number of non-clinical hours. Medical schools are looking for clinical experience, not specific skills that ultimately do not have anything to do with being a physician. What you get from the hospital volunteer experience will be sufficient. The money earned from an entry-level clinical job is pocket change compared to future earnings. Those schedules can be grueling, especially with a full load of science classes and studying for the MCAT. I've seen people ultimately destroy their chances because of entry-level clinical jobs. You are paying for convenience with clinical volunteering, and sometimes you might get lucky and get plenty of downtime for studying as well.
I don't really understand your comment. What skills are non-specific that don't apply to physician are you referring to?

I also don't understand about the clinical job comment. I already had a clinical job several years ago...I'm finishing a PhD now and will either continue a postdoc or clinical job because I need money to survive while applying lol

I don't really understand your comment. What skills are non-specific that don't apply to physician are you referring to?

I also don't understand about the clinical job comment. I already had a clinical job several years ago...I'm finishing a PhD now and will either continue a postdoc or clinical job because I need money to survive while applying lol

If you work as an EMT or CNA, these skills are not something you will use regularly as a physician. Completely different field. Scribing, on the other hand, is quite helpful since you work through an H&P on a regular basis. Any medical school, however, will start you from the very beginning when it comes to their introductory clinical medicine course. I never once felt to be disadvantaged compared to peers that had prior experience. As long as nothing conflicts with grades and MCAT, then definitely keep working!

Reactions: 1 user
I already had a clinical job several years ago...I'm finishing a PhD now and will either continue a postdoc or clinical job because I need money to survive while applying lol

Hey, I just want to issue a correction to my earlier reply. I reread your initial post once this thread was bumped and I apparently missed that your clinical research job ended 7 years ago. I think you’ll definitely need more recent clinical experience, so I’m also going to put in another plug for a scribing job or similar. It will really benefit your application.

Reactions: 1 users