Mission Trips as Surgeon

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fourteen12

Reaction score
In the future if I’m able and do become a doctor I would really want to use my medical knowledge in third-world countries, such as Honduras or Guatemala. I was wondering what types of medical specialties are most needed for mission work and also if it is possible to get additional time off for volunteering as is sometimes given to nurses.

Members don't see this ad.

As with prior responses to your questions, it’s all about what is in your contract. So I’m theory you can get time off to do this but then it becomes about how much, how your compensation is structured etc. if you’re private practice you need partners that are agreeable to covering your patients and having you be missing from the call schedule. They might do that for a couple weeks but it gets harder when you are talking about extended trips. If you are hospital employed they are not going to want to cover your salary while you are gone. I have a friend doing rural general surgery in the northeast and had it in her contract that she got 3 months every year to dedicate to global health/mission trips as that is her passion. Then a new administration took over and when she went to try to schedule this contract-guaranteed time for the first time after 18 months or so they told her at the most she could go for 2 weeks and accused her of “hiding” this clause in the contract (which if you knew her, she definitely didn’t as she is far from being a legal ninja). She ended up quitting over it for breach of contract.

So yeah, you can do some of this as a surgeon but you’ll likely only be able to do short stints and you’ll have to use vacation time to do it.

Reactions: 1 user
As with prior responses to your questions, it’s all about what is in your contract. So I’m theory you can get time off to do this but then it becomes about how much, how your compensation is structured etc. if you’re private practice you need partners that are agreeable to covering your patients and having you be missing from the call schedule. They might do that for a couple weeks but it gets harder when you are talking about extended trips. If you are hospital employed they are not going to want to cover your salary while you are gone. I have a friend doing rural general surgery in the northeast and had it in her contract that she got 3 months every year to dedicate to global health/mission trips as that is her passion. Then a new administration took over and when she went to try to schedule this contract-guaranteed time for the first time after 18 months or so they told her at the most she could go for 2 weeks and accused her of “hiding” this clause in the contract (which if you knew her, she definitely didn’t as she is far from being a legal ninja). She ended up quitting over it for breach of contract.

So yeah, you can do some of this as a surgeon but you’ll likely only be able to do short stints and you’ll have to use vacation time to do it.
How do you make these contracts? And how is the hospital able to breach without ramifications?

Members don't see this ad :)
How do you make these contracts? And how is the hospital able to breach without ramifications?
The hospital didn't breach without ramifications. The doctor quit. Usually if the hospital breaches the contract, you can quit immediately without the notice you would have to work out otherwise.

Reactions: 1 user
The hospital didn't breach without ramifications. The doctor quit. Usually if the hospital breaches the contract, you can quit immediately without the notice you would have to work out otherwise.
Why would you not bring law suit against the hospital for the breach?

Which is what my friend did. And found a better fitting gig, albeit without provisions of overseas work in her contract for now. But she was already displeased with the administration at the old place so this just helped her leave faster. And it’s not like there’s a shortage of options for people who want to do general surgery in small rural hospitals. But it explains why the old place has had nearly a third of the hospital staff leave in the past 3 years.

Reactions: 1 users
Why would you not bring law suit against the hospital for the breach?

She could but she didn’t care that much. She got a lawyer because they said they were going to sue her for breach (for leaving the contract a few months early), the lawyer told them no they weren’t because she wasn’t in breach because they were at fault and that was that. Any lawsuit would take years and require ongoing lawyer fees and in the end she got what she wanted which was to leave. She was able to find a new job without much of any hassle and was ready to move on.

Reactions: 2 users