Mississippi College Masters of Medical Sciences

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I would suggest taking 5 hour courses and then TA them. You won't have enough time to commit to a regular job with 20-30hr/week

Good suggestion! I'll definitely look into doing that. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi guys, I will be starting the medical science program this Fall. What do yall think about taking medical physiology I and II together this fall? Is it doable?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi guys, I will be starting the medical science program this Fall. What do yall think about taking medical physiology I and II together this fall? Is it doable?
It will be very tough. But also doable. I think one of the test's material overlaps.

What do you guys think about taking Neuro and Histo together? i heard this is a terrible idea but I need to finish the program in 1 years and there's no way around it.

Of all the 5 hours those two are probably the easier of the two to take together. So if you really have to take two 5 hours then those are the ones I would suggest.

I know that finishing the program within 1 year is difficult so I was wondering if I should apply this cycle to med schools or wait?

I was accepted to this one as well as another one at Tulane. Has anyone picked this one over Tulane or another similar SMP?

Hi everyone, I will be attending MC in the Fall and was wondering if anybody would be able to give me insight as to what they took their Fall and Spring semesters. I intend on completing the program in 3 semesters (Fall 2017-Summer 2018). Reading through threads has made it difficult to really hammer out a tenative schedule. Everyone seemes to have their 2 cents. As of right now I'm not sure what I will be taking in the Fall but I am looking to pace myself through the next 3 semesters. I'd truly appreciate any insight. Feel free to PM me as well. Thank you.

Hi everyone, I will be attending MC in the Fall and was wondering if anybody would be able to give me insight as to what they took their Fall and Spring semesters. I intend on completing the program in 3 semesters (Fall 2017-Summer 2018). Reading through threads has made it difficult to really hammer out a tenative schedule. Everyone seemes to have their 2 cents. As of right now I'm not sure what I will be taking in the Fall but I am looking to pace myself through the next 3 semesters. I'd truly appreciate any insight. Feel free to PM me as well. Thank you.

If you want to only take one med level per semester:
Fall: Med phys I
Spring: Med phys II
Summer: Pharmacology

If that doesn't interest you, you'll have to take two med levels during the fall or spring. I suggest a Histo/Neuro combo, in my opinion it's very doable.

Reactions: 2 users
If you want to only take one med level per semester:
Fall: Med phys I
Spring: Med phys II
Summer: Pharmacology

If that doesn't interest you, you'll have to take two med levels during the fall or spring. I suggest a Histo/Neuro combo, in my opinion it's very doable.

I have started this program and this is my second summer semester. Predental students take neuroanatomy and histology together because dental schools like to see these courses. Majority of premed students take med phys 1 and 2.

This is a good schedule. Keep in mind that you need to have 33 credit hours to graduate. Med phys 1 (5), med phys 2 (6), pharm 1 (5) and graduate seminar (2) will put you at 18 ch. Therefore, you need to take 15 other credit classes, most likely 5 other 3 credit hours.

I personally rather take less classes with more credit hours . In this way, I can only focus on one subject. Also, the most famous class at MC is gross anatomy with its wet lab. If you are at this program, I highly recommend to take this class. This is an 8 hour class which you need to take this by itself.

I hope this helps!

UPDATE 2018: Take gross anatomy!!! Amazing class. Don't leave this program without this course. It's hard but it's worth it. All the schools know about this class.

Last edited by a moderator:
Members don't see this ad :)
Do you have to take Med Phys 1 in order to take Med Phys 2? Would somone be lost if the only took Med Phys 2 without taking Med Phys 1?

Do we get graduate advisers to help us make our schedules? Or any orientation? I received an email about a deposit and that's it.

Do we get graduate advisers to help us make our schedules? Or any orientation? I received an email about a deposit and that's it.

Baldwin is your advisor. The first week of school you'll have a meeting to go over some stuff. Join the FB group a ton of helpful info gets passed there, ask about schedules on the group

Do you have to take Med Phys 1 in order to take Med Phys 2? Would somone be lost if the only took Med Phys 2 without taking Med Phys 1?

I actually know a couple premed students who are taking med phys 2 and histology this fall and they just started the program.

UPDATE 2018: You actually have to take med phys 1 before taking med phys 2. If you talk to Dr. Balwin, he may let you take these two classes together. OR maybe just med phys 2 with anothe class. He tries his best to help!

I strongly advise to make your schedule with the help of other students who have taken these classes before. In Dr. Baldwin's perspective, everything is possible. He told my friend to take three hard courses in her first semester. She ended up dropping one, mainly because she was out of school for a long time. Current facebook page is filled with questions regarding the best combination of the classes. It really comes down to how long you want to stay in the program, the longer you stay, the less courses you can take in each semester. You can talk to Dr. Baldwin and once you two come with a schedule, make sure to verify the schedule with previous students from the program. Majority of students are nice here.

UPDATE 2018: I still believe in what I said a year ago.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey everyone I just got accepted for this coming fall and I wanted to get some info from people who are in this program or have completed it. My end goal is dental school so hearing from some ppl who went on to dental school after finishing this program would be great. Also, I've seen on this thread many of the people have said this program is held in high regard at universities in South Eastern region so I was hoping to hear from some people in other areas who benefitted from this program. I am from the Maryland/ Washington DC area and saw a few people on the graduated list who attended schools in the nearby cities like Philly & Richmond so I know the program isn't specific to southern universities.

I have just requested to join to Facebook group and I plan to speak to Dr. Baldwin this week about courses and the best path to finish the program in a year. Any information in regards to that is greatly appreciated

Hey guys I'm a Georgia Resident looking to start this program this upcoming spring 2018. After reading a lot of these posts I noticed a strong connection btw UMMC and this program for those who are interested in MD programs afterwards. I know that UMMC almost requires Mississippi residency, however I was wondering if I established 12 months residency and one of the other higher ups (car registration, etc) to show I am committed to stay in Mississippi for the long haul would I need to establish my 12 months before first day of UMMC classes or before I filled out my AMCAS application? I read that some people had trouble selecting this school, and I was wondering if anyone had any experience with contacting UMMC and letting them apply with the idea that you'll become a Miss resident before the first day of class.

My goal is to complete the program in one calendar year. Additionally, after I complete the spring 2018 and summer 2018 semesters I would try and apply with those grades. Has anyone had any experience with this specific timeline?

Finally is there any other MD schools other than UMMC, and what seems like LSU that have a strong linkeage program with this school. Currently as a Georgia resident I have my sites set on MCG or Mercer, however I am unsure if this program would put me in a position to attend those schools. However I am also open to attending school almost anywhere and am really interested in trying to secure my best chance to become a physician despite my lower undergraduate gpa.

Thanks for your help!

Hey guys I'm a Georgia Resident looking to start this program this upcoming spring 2018. After reading a lot of these posts I noticed a strong connection btw UMMC and this program for those who are interested in MD programs afterwards. I know that UMMC almost requires Mississippi residency, however I was wondering if I established 12 months residency and one of the other higher ups (car registration, etc) to show I am committed to stay in Mississippi for the long haul would I need to establish my 12 months before first day of UMMC classes or before I filled out my AMCAS application? I read that some people had trouble selecting this school, and I was wondering if anyone had any experience with contacting UMMC and letting them apply with the idea that you'll become a Miss resident before the first day of class.

My goal is to complete the program in one calendar year. Additionally, after I complete the spring 2018 and summer 2018 semesters I would try and apply with those grades. Has anyone had any experience with this specific timeline?

Finally is there any other MD schools other than UMMC, and what seems like LSU that have a strong linkeage program with this school. Currently as a Georgia resident I have my sites set on MCG or Mercer, however I am unsure if this program would put me in a position to attend those schools. However I am also open to attending school almost anywhere and am really interested in trying to secure my best chance to become a physician despite my lower undergraduate gpa.

Thanks for your help!

This program has no connections to any GA schools. If previous students were accepted to any GA school then they got in based on merit. They met the schools requirment for the MCAT and used this program to polish their low GPA. That's what the program is aimed to do. Dr. Baldwin has many friends in high places at UMMC and is close with the deans at LSU-NO and LSU-S. This possibly explains the large amount of students that are accepted to their MD/Dental programs from these schools. If you are aiming for GA schools, make sure you have met (or exceeded) their average MCAT. I haven't heard of anyone becoming a MS resident and then sucessfully going to UMMC, but doesn't mean it's not possible. Hope this helps.

So with that being said, if my goal was to attend a U.S. allopathic medical school with a low gpa and I were to attend this program my best chances would be to gain admission to either LSU-New Orleans or LSU-Shreveport? Furthermore if I were to exceed expectations in this program gpa wise and on my MCAT for some schools averages it could perhaps make my low undergrad gpa less significant and open up opportunities to gain admission into one of those programs?

Is this what you are saying

Also thank you for replying, just want to make sure I'm completely clear because as a GA resident I'm unsure if this program is the best fit for me however i feel as if i have few options due to my gpa so I'm trying to ensure I increase my chances of attending medical schools after completion of a post bac program

Hypothetical schedule:

Semester one: Med Phys I, Biochem, Cell Phys.............................. 11 hours
Semester two: Neuroanatomy, Medical Genetics, Biology of Cancer...11 hours
Semester three: Gross Anatomy, seminar, research........................11 hours

Yea or nay?

Help Guys
I was just accepted to this program and plan on starting this summer 2018. I also intend on finishing in 1 year. I am looking for roommate's and also any advice from current students on classes. I do plan on retaking the mcats and applying to med school this summer.
Thanks

Hi everyone! I applied and was accepted to the MS Medical Science program and am going to start this summer. I had sent Dr.Baldwin my tentative schedule for feedback and he suggested that based off my undergraduate grades that I should take the M.S. Biology route instead. I’m Pre-PA but I tend to go back and forth on Pre-Med as well. Has anybody else done the M.S. Biology route or know anybody who has? I was looking forward to taking the Human Anatomy course as the cadaver lab at MC looks unbelievable. However, if he is suggesting that I take the non-med route for better grades then I better take that into serious consideration. Anybody in the same boat as me or have any thoughts? I appreciate any feedback! Thanks in advance!

Hi everyone! I applied and was accepted to the MS Medical Science program and am going to start this summer. I had sent Dr.Baldwin my tentative schedule for feedback and he suggested that based off my undergraduate grades that I should take the M.S. Biology route instead. I’m Pre-PA but I tend to go back and forth on Pre-Med as well. Has anybody else done the M.S. Biology route or know anybody who has? I was looking forward to taking the Human Anatomy course as the cadaver lab at MC looks unbelievable. However, if he is suggesting that I take the non-med route for better grades then I better take that into serious consideration. Anybody in the same boat as me or have any thoughts? I appreciate any feedback! Thanks in advance!

3 of my friends got into PA MC this cycle. You should joint the facebook group and ask this question. I know these pre/future PA students and they are more than happy to help you or any one else who need advice regarding PA programs.

3 of my friends got into PA MC this cycle. You should joint the facebook group and ask this question. I know these pre/future PA students and they are more than happy to help you or any one else who need advice regarding PA programs.
awesome!! I ended up doing just that. thank you so much!

Would love to hear from others who did the program to give their opinion about this schedule too

This is a very doable schedule. I think Dr. Norcross and Dr. Tullos both teach medical genetics. I recommend to take it with Dr. Tullos because he's much easier. I don't know if he teaches it during fall or spring semester.

Does anyone know where to go to get early access to the syllabus (for any of the classes)?
TIA

Does anyone know where to go to get early access to the syllabus (for any of the classes)?
TIA

There's no way to get the syllabus if you don't have access to moodle. One way is to ask students on facebook page to send you the syllabus. Why do you need the syllabus for? They are 99% useless :rofl:

Seen a lot of info in this thread, and I'm glad I found it before making a decision to attend. From what I read, students spend a ton of time studying... Are there any students that have had the opportunity and time to shadow physicians, volunteer, etc?

Also, can anyone shed some light on what students have done or should do if they get a low gpa ( <3.3) in this program? Would it be worth doing another smp, take more undergrad courses, etc?

Seen a lot of info in this thread, and I'm glad I found it before making a decision to attend. From what I read, students spend a ton of time studying... Are there any students that have had the opportunity and time to shadow physicians, volunteer, etc?

Also, can anyone shed some light on what students have done or should do if they get a low gpa ( <3.3) in this program? Would it be worth doing another smp, take more undergrad courses, etc?

Hi, this program is very doable if you pick your schedule wisely. If you don't get A in med level classes, you can shelf up. However, histo and gross shelf tests are the only doable tests; neuro and medical physiology tests not really! I am a pre-dental student, so I can't really help you with the next step for you. You should talk to admissions of medical schools you are aplying to. My other advise is to see if the medical school you are applying cares more about the grades or the subject of the courses. Neuro and histo are so much easier than med phys I and II. Pre-dental students take neuro and histo and premed students take med phys I and II. But I've seen pre-med students who've taken neuro and histo because they wanted to maintain a higher GPA. I need to add that when I say easy! it means after so many sleepless nights and stressful days, A is possible in this program. I had neuro and histo in one semester and I volunteered once a week at UMMC, it was actually great to get away from the school for even a couple hours.

There's no way to get the syllabus if you don't have access to moodle. One way is to ask students on facebook page to send you the syllabus. Why do you need the syllabus for? They are 99% useless :rofl:
I wanted to see if there are any essays/papers for Histo or cell phys, i know in the past pages of this thread students have recommended to get a head start on them. Is that still a thing or no?

I wanted to see if there are any essays/papers for Histo or cell phys, i know in the past pages of this thread students have recommended to get a head start on them. Is that still a thing or no?

Pharm I and II in the summer and Pharm of Infectious Disease in the spring by Dr. Bourassa are the classes that you definitely need to write paper ((1o% of the grade)). Histo, cell phys, any other 5 or 8 credit hours: you don't have to. I don't think you need to write paper for 3 hour lecture classes, and let's say you do, it won't be that hard :soexcited:. You have to write 5 to 8 essays for unifying Biology class (online) depending on the semester you take it, but the essays are super easy. You only need to buy notes for your histo class. It's 40 dollars. You can either buy it at the biology office in Hederman or purchase it before your class. Someone will be by your class (90% of your classes will be in this classroom) on the first day to sell the notes. It's cash or check only. Having different colors of highlighters will help too.

- They've changed the histo notes for this year, so I'm not sure if the price is still $40.

Hey where are y’all staying? I would prefer to stay in the Ridgeland area but I don’t know about the daily commute.

Hey where are y’all staying? I would prefer to stay in the Ridgeland area but I don’t know about the daily commute.

If you're accepted into this program, I really really recommend to join our facebook group. This forum is super helpful for students who are debating whether they should attend this program or not. They are so many students who are looking for roommates right now. I understand that Ridgeland is a nice place to stay, but it's far- about 20 or 30 min without traffic and you have to find a spot on the campus to park your car too. There are so many housing in Clinton that are walking distance to the campus. I literally woke up 5 min before my classes, that's the advantage of living close to campus. I don't know much about Ridgeland, but if you're looking for a place in Clinton, there are so many nice and safe places to stay. You should join facebook group.

If you're accepted into this program, I really really recommend to join our facebook group. This forum is super helpful for students who are debating whether they should attend this program or not. They are so many students who are looking for roommates right now. I understand that Ridgeland is a nice place to stay, but it's far- about 20 or 30 min without traffic and you have to find a spot on the campus to park your car too. There are so many housing in Clinton that are walking distance to the campus. I literally woke up 5 min before my classes, that's the advantage of living close to campus. I don't know much about Ridgeland, but if you're looking for a place in Clinton, there are so many nice and safe places to stay. You should join facebook group.

Hey. I haven’t been accepted yet but I should be hearing back within the week or so. Keeping my fingers crossed. But I lived in Ridgeland during undergrad & enjoyed it. I’m thinking of the wear & tear it’s going to have on my car going 30+ miles back & forth. Definitely considering Clinton!

Could anyone give insight about class schedules? Are they morning/afternoons, MWF? What about labs?

Hey everyone! I’m currently in the med sci program at MC and will be finishing up in a couple weeks and I thought I’d share my experience.

Clinton is a great place. Not very busy and not a lot of fun stuff to do but then again you’re in grad school so you’re pretty busy. It’s really nice if you can get a house/apt close to campus. I live about a 7 minute walk from campus and it’s been great not having to drive. If you want an apt that close you need to speak to Dave Riley he pretty much has a monopoly on apts in Clinton. Feels very safe as well, cops and campus police everywhere all the time.
4/5

The facilities are pretty nice as well. Half your classes are in a building called hederman and half are in med sci. Med sci is very new and very nice. Hederman is very old but not too outdated. The gross anatomy lab is absolutely amazing (more on that later). I never really used the library but it’s pretty decent. Not much for food on campus I never ate there. Nice student rec center nothing spectacular. There’s a very nice place called the healthplex you can get a membership to though.
3/5

Class sizes vary widely from 10 to 80+. The large class sizes are a little disappointing but you can still build a relationship with professors if you want.
2/5

Quality of professors is very good. Very positive interactions for the most part.
4/5

Value of classes. This is were MC shines. You get so much out of the courses especially the med level ones. The classes are no joke and there’s an excessive amount of info you must learn but it’s doable (if you put in more effort than you ever have).
5/5

Breakdown of my schedule

Fall: Med Phys 1 & 2- 11 hours
Max load I would recommend. Someone I knew took those 2 plus cell Phys and I don’t know how they did it.
Med Phys 1: Very tough. LEARN YOUR CLINICALS. Please. Also the TAs are your lifeline. Use them as much as possible.
Med Phys 2: Everything you need to know is given to you in class. Somewhat tough but interesting.
Phys shelf exam taken.

Spring: Bio of cancer & Gross anatomy-11 hours
Bio of cancer: half semester course. Very interesting to me. You read articles every week and take quizzes and test. Some find it very hard but for me as long as I put in the necessary time it was very doable.
Gross anatomy- MUST TAKE. Absolutely extremely difficult. You will feel like you live in the gross Lab or in a study room but it is so worth it. It’s an amazing experience. It’s such a leg up taking this before going to med school. You must dedicate your life to this class but you get so much out of it. Don’t think just do it.
Gross shelf exam taken.

Summer: Grad Seminar & Pharm 1 & 2- 12 hours
Grad sem: please take this during the maymester. Super easy.
Pharm 1 and 2: Challenging but very doable. Very interesting and you learn a lot. Everything you need to know is given to you in class
Pharm shelf exam not yet taken.

I’ll should be finishing the program with a 4.0 (a lot of close calls) and scoring >50 percentile on the shelf exams. If you are willing to put in the effort this program is absolutely worth it. You meet a lot of great people and everyone is willing to help you out for the most part.

Any questions feel free to reply or PM me. I can go into more detail about other classes I didn’t take, professors, etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Hey everyone! I’m currently in the med sci program at MC and will be finishing up in a couple weeks and I thought I’d share my experience.

Clinton is a great place. Not very busy and not a lot of fun stuff to do but then again you’re in grad school so you’re pretty busy. It’s really nice if you can get a house/apt close to campus. I live about a 7 minute walk from campus and it’s been great not having to drive. If you want an apt that close you need to speak to Dave Riley he pretty much has a monopoly on apts in Clinton. Feels very safe as well, cops and campus police everywhere all the time.
4/5

The facilities are pretty nice as well. Half your classes are in a building called hederman and half are in med sci. Med sci is very new and very nice. Hederman is very old but not too outdated. The gross anatomy lab is absolutely amazing (more on that later). I never really used the library but it’s pretty decent. Not much for food on campus I never ate there. Nice student rec center nothing spectacular. There’s a very nice place called the healthplex you can get a membership to though.
3/5

Class sizes vary widely from 10 to 80+. The large class sizes are a little disappointing but you can still build a relationship with professors if you want.
2/5

Quality of professors is very good. Very positive interactions for the most part.
4/5

Value of classes. This is were MC shines. You get so much out of the courses especially the med level ones. The classes are no joke and there’s an excessive amount of info you must learn but it’s doable (if you put in more effort than you ever have).
5/5

Breakdown of my schedule

Fall: Med Phys 1 & 2- 11 hours
Max load I would recommend. Someone I knew took those 2 plus cell Phys and I don’t know how they did it.
Med Phys 1: Very tough. LEARN YOUR CLINICALS. Please. Also the TAs are your lifeline. Use them as much as possible.
Med Phys 2: Everything you need to know is given to you in class. Somewhat tough but interesting.
Phys shelf exam taken.

Spring: Bio of cancer & Gross anatomy-11 hours
Bio of cancer: half semester course. Very interesting to me. You read articles every week and take quizzes and test. Some find it very hard but for me as long as I put in the necessary time it was very doable.
Gross anatomy- MUST TAKE. Absolutely extremely difficult. You will feel like you live in the gross Lab or in a study room but it is so worth it. It’s an amazing experience. It’s such a leg up taking this before going to med school. You must dedicate your life to this class but you get so much out of it. Don’t think just do it.
Gross shelf exam taken.

Summer: Grad Seminar & Pharm 1 & 2- 12 hours
Grad sem: please take this during the maymester. Super easy.
Pharm 1 and 2: Challenging but very doable. Very interesting and you learn a lot. Everything you need to know is given to you in class
Pharm shelf exam not yet taken.

I’ll should be finishing the program with a 4.0 (a lot of close calls) and scoring >50 percentile on the shelf exams. If you are willing to put in the effort this program is absolutely worth it. You meet a lot of great people and everyone is willing to help you out for the most part.

Any questions feel free to reply or PM me. I can go into more detail about other classes I didn’t take, professors, etc.

Is there any chance you could PM me I had some trouble contacting you, but I just had some more questions about the program as well as living. Thanks!!

Hi, this program is very doable if you pick your schedule wisely. If you don't get A in med level classes, you can shelf up. However, histo and gross shelf tests are the only doable tests; neuro and medical physiology tests not really! I am a pre-dental student, so I can't really help you with the next step for you. You should talk to admissions of medical schools you are aplying to. My other advise is to see if the medical school you are applying cares more about the grades or the subject of the courses. Neuro and histo are so much easier than med phys I and II. Pre-dental students take neuro and histo and premed students take med phys I and II. But I've seen pre-med students who've taken neuro and histo because they wanted to maintain a higher GPA. I need to add that when I say easy! it means after so many sleepless nights and stressful days, A is possible in this program. I had neuro and histo in one semester and I volunteered once a week at UMMC, it was actually great to get away from the school for even a couple hours.

I’ve always read SDN but I’m new to having an account, I’m pre Dental and currently in Histo and Neuro together

Can you possibly PM me
Thanks

I’ve always read SDN but I’m new to having an account, I’m pre Dental and currently in Histo and Neuro together

Can you possibly PM me
Thanks

Hi, I think you need to make your profile public or do something else because I cannot message you.

Hi, I think you need to make your profile public or do something else because I cannot message you.

Okay i just made it possible i think. Try it out.
Thanks

Hi I was recently accepted into this program. Is pharmo 1 and 2 required in order to take med phys 1 and 2 or is it the other way around? Also, do they provide on campus housing for students who need it? Thank you!