Mississippi College Masters of Medical Sciences

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi I was recently accepted into this program. Is pharmo 1 and 2 required in order to take med phys 1 and 2 or is it the other way around? Also, do they provide on campus housing for students who need it? Thank you!

It's the other way around. You have to take med phys 1 and 2 in order to take pharm 1 and 2. There are on campus housing but only available to undergraduate. However, there are so many apartments and houses close to campus that it would like you're living on campus.

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks for your response! I actually came across a female only graduate loft housing option recently! I've looked through all the MC threads and no one ever bought it up so it might be relatively new. Is it possible to PM you to get your thoughts on the program?

It's the other way around. You have to take med phys 1 and 2 in order to take pharm 1 and 2. There are on campus housing but only available to undergraduate. However, there are so many apartments and houses close to campus that it would like you're living on campus.

Thanks for your response! I actually came across a female only graduate loft housing option recently! I've looked through all the MC threads and no one ever bought it up so it might be relatively new. Is it possible to PM you to get your thoughts on the program?

sure! I'm pre-dental just so you know. I'll help as much as I can.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi I was recently accepted into this program. Is pharmo 1 and 2 required in order to take med phys 1 and 2 or is it the other way around? Also, do they provide on campus housing for students who need it? Thank you!

Hey i was just looking if anyone has messed w this thread in a while and it looks as if there has been some action. I’m currently in this program (pre dental). You are going to have to take med phys 1 and 2 before pharm, and pharm is one of the tougher classes and i believe isn’t offered every semester. The program takes 3 medical level classes to graduate. If i were you, I’d take med phys 1 and 2 together and then take gross anatomy in the fall (if wanting to graduate in a year (which is tough). Or take the 1 year and 1 semester route which is more popular and take med phys classes, possibly neuro, and gross in your third semester. The program is no joke. Get your **** together and stay on top, but then again don’t be scared, it’s definitely do-able. You study everyday though which sounds extremely miserable but it just becomes a habit and isn’t as bad as it seems. Keep this in mind as well, you can get a 4.0, but it’s effort, and one MAIN resource for a 4.0 (or a high GPA) is attending TA sessions. Keep that in mind and kick this program in the ass. And for living, post in the Facebook group 2018-2019 new medical sciences group. There is always stuff going on in there. Goodluck.

Dr. Baldwin told me I was taking bio chem 1 and 2 this summer and then med phys 1 and 2 in the fall with gross anatomy in the spring. would it be possible to add a class to the two biochem or is that not recommended?

Dr. Baldwin told me I was taking bio chem 1 and 2 this summer and then med phys 1 and 2 in the fall with gross anatomy in the spring. would it be possible to add a class to the two biochem or is that not recommended?

Hi, I started this program in May 2017 and finished in May 2018. I would recommend just taking biochem 1 by itself and then possibly doubling up in the second summer session. I only took cell phys (2 hour credit course) with Dr. Reagan for the first summer session, and it was honestly closer to the work of a 3.5 hour credit course. However, this helped prepare me to take 6 hours in the second session, followed by 11 in the fall. I would highly recommend doing this incremental increase as you're able to adjust more gradually rather than being overwhelmed all at once.

If you feel within the first week (after the first test) that you have a good grip on things, and you find yourself with free time on your hands, I would recommend finding some research opportunities with one of the graduate professors.

Hi, I started this program in May 2017 and finished in May 2018. I would recommend just taking biochem 1 by itself and then possibly doubling up in the second summer session. I only took cell phys (2 hour credit course) with Dr. Reagan for the first summer session, and it was honestly closer to the work of a 3.5 hour credit course. However, this helped prepare me to take 6 hours in the second session, followed by 11 in the fall. I would highly recommend doing this incremental increase as you're able to adjust more gradually rather than being overwhelmed all at once.

If you feel within the first week (after the first test) that you have a good grip on things, and you find yourself with free time on your hands, I would recommend finding some research opportunities with one of the graduate professors.
will only taking one class interfere with me being full time or not? and also have you had success with this program?

will only taking one class interfere with me being full time or not? and also have you had success with this program?

You will have to contact financial aid. If you take out loans for this summer, you lose what you get in spring. It’s best to wait to take summer classes after you have taken fall and spring classes. That way, you can take loans for summer and not have to worry about funds for spring.

Would taking cell physiology and biochem1 for the first summer session be too much? and then taking biochem 2 and infectious diseases in the second summer session? that would be 11 credits for the summer and then I would only need 22 more credits and may not have to do a may session.

Would taking cell physiology and biochem1 for the first summer session be too much? and then taking biochem 2 and infectious diseases in the second summer session? that would be 11 credits for the summer and then I would only need 22 more credits and may not have to do a may session.

“Too much” varies much in the eye of the beer holder. Message me if you end up taking either.

No it should not. In order to be considered full-time, you need to have at least 8 credit hours per semester. They count summer 1 and summer 2 as one semester, so it should be fine. However, you should probably double check with the financial aid office.

To answer your second question: I would say yes, I definitely had success with this program. I was pre-med, and I was just recently accepted to NSU College of Osteopathic medicine. However, I would like to add what I would've done differently instead of being so set to do this program.

My undergrad stats were pretty low (3.2 sGPA and 3.5 overall), but as many of us applying to this program, I do not think my full potential was reached due to a plethora of factors which is why I decided to do a Masters. Once I got to Clinton, Mississippi (small little town outside of Jackson), I was able completely focus on my grades and ended up finishing the program in one calendar year with a 3.86 (May 2017-May 2018). It was absolutely not easy, and it was the hardest year of my life. Many people take the fact that there is no GPA cutoff to enter in the program as a possibility that this program might be "easier" than other Masters programs. Absolutely not the case, and I encourage you or anyone else reading this post to treat this program like you are in the first year of medical school/dental school.

Now what I would've done differently....

I can't say enough good things about this program. It was honestly a life-changing year that really taught me how to study effectively and how to manage myself in a foreign environment. (I went to a nearby college for undergrad). In addition, it is one of the cheapest M.M.S. programs in the country. The fact that there is no GPA cutoff and that it is one of the cheapest masters program is what really draws people to this degree.

HOWEVER, I will say that unless you were recommended to do this program by the admissions office at your desired medical/dental school OR you are originally from the states of Mississippi, Louisiana, and less so Georgia and Alabama, it will be hard to reap the benefits of this program unless you do extremely well. Even if you do extremely well (and you are not from Louisiana or Mississippi), it still does not guarantee you that you will be accepted into your desired school.

Case in point: I had a group of 6 friends who I was very close with during my time in Mississippi. Three of those friends were recommended by their desired professional school to do the program, and two of them were accepted into their desired dental school. The third friend had <3.5 gpa and was not accepted this past cycle.

Two of my other friends were not recommended this program, but were both from Louisiana, and will be attending medical school in Louisiana this fall. They both had a >3.7 GPA. Louisiana schools are very closely affiliated with this program and deans frequently visit the campus for info sessions.

Now cue me and my other friend who are both from Texas. My friend is a literal genius. He did poorly in his undergrad ~2.8 GPA (which may be to blame), but nonetheless had like a 3.93 final GPA and a 99% percentile on his DAT. He only applied in Texas (which also may be to blame) so he was unable to obtain admission this past cycle. I applied to Texas MD/DO schools and a couple DO schools out of state. Fortunately, I was able to be accepted off the wait list to Nova Southeastern, after being waitlisted to an in-state DO school.

In addition to my close friends, I had many acquaintances that were either from Mississippi or Louisiana. They were also great students (>3.7 GPA) and I can say that 90% of them got into a medical school in Louisiana/ Mississippi/ or the school that recommended them to the program. Just a note: University of Mississippi Medical Center (Dental, Medical and PT school) ONLY takes Mississippi Residents.

So why do I say all of this? If you are not from Louisiana or Mississippi, or if you were not recommended this program by your desired school, I would say that before you begin the program that you make sure that your desired school knows about this program. If they do not know about it, I would highly recommend that you complete a Masters in Medical Science with your desired professional school. For example, Nova Southeastern University has a M.B.S. program directly associated with its school where they take a majority of their medical students from. Looking back, I would've done more research on these types of programs instead of jumping straight into this program.

I hope this was informative to you or anyone else reading this post. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Reactions: 2 users
Why is it so hard to find housing here? Anyone in search of a roommate?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi, I'm considering this program. For anyone who has finished or who are presently enrolled: are you working? did you work during the program? If not, what did you do for non-school related expenses..housing, utilities and such?

I am also considering this program and I have questions for any out of state predental students currently in the program or who have recently completed the program. Also, could someone drop the facebook link for the incoming class if one exists?

Hi, I'm considering this program. For anyone who has finished or who are presently enrolled: are you working? did you work during the program? If not, what did you do for non-school related expenses..housing, utilities and such?

Hey,

I personally did not work, but I was fortunate to have the support of my parents for housing. I would not recommend working as you’ll be pretty busy depending on how many hours you take. If you’re only taking ~8 hours (minimum full time) I think you’d be able to manage, but that would mean you’ll take 1.5-2 years to finish.

However, If you absolutely have to work, I would recommend trying to work at the library. A lot of students, including some med sci students worked there. You pretty much sit at the desk for the whole shift, and you can study the whole time. The only work I’ve seen them do is hand out markers to students who want to use the private rooms or fix the hole puncher if it gets stuck.

I am also considering this program and I have questions for any out of state predental students currently in the program or who have recently completed the program. Also, could someone drop the facebook link for the incoming class if one exists?

This is for the 2018–2019 group. I believe there are some new people on there.

I was pre-Med, but I had many pre-dent friends. If you need any advice about which classes to take or anything like that, I can definitely help.

Hey,

I personally did not work, but I was fortunate to have the support of my parents for housing. I would not recommend working as you’ll be pretty busy depending on how many hours you take. If you’re only taking ~8 hours (minimum full time) I think you’d be able to manage, but that would mean you’ll take 1.5-2 years to finish.

However, If you absolutely have to work, I would recommend trying to work at the library. A lot of students, including some med sci students worked there. You pretty much sit at the desk for the whole shift, and you can study the whole time. The only work I’ve seen them do is hand out markers to students who want to use the private rooms or fix the hole puncher if it gets stuck.
Thank you :)

I was pre-Med, but I had many pre-dent friends. If you need any advice about which classes to take or anything like that, I can definitely help.

I've heard good things about this program for pre-med students. I am considering it, but it's so late in the year. Do you think it's too late for fall? also, any advice about the program itself? I know to study study, but is there anything specific to know about certain classes? the program itself? I am applying this year and will be hoping to include in my app that I am attending this program so schools can accept me based upon my performance.

Thank you for the link @dtj333. If your able could you give me an idea of what courses the pre-dents felt helped them the most once entering dental school (which courses are the best to take together per semester)? And the same for you? Do you all suggest the one year, 18 month, or 24 month track?

Thank you for the link @dtj333. If your able could you give me an idea of what courses the pre-dents felt helped them the most once entering dental school (which courses are the best to take together per semester)? And the same for you? Do you all suggest the one year, 18 month, or 24 month track?

Baldwin will probably tell you neuro and something else for your first semester. I know a girl who took neuro and histo the same semester and did well. Make no mistake, just because someone has done well before you doesn’t mean you’ll do well. As far as time goes, do whatever it takes you to do well in the program. It doesn’t matter if you finish in a year if you have a bad GPA.

I've heard good things about this program for pre-med students. I am considering it, but it's so late in the year. Do you think it's too late for fall? also, any advice about the program itself? I know to study study, but is there anything specific to know about certain classes? the program itself? I am applying this year and will be hoping to include in my app that I am attending this program so schools can accept me based upon my performance.

I definitely don’t think it’s too late to apply to the fall, but you should start applying immediately even if doesn’t end up being your top choice.

I wrote a detailed post about my thoughts on the program if you want to scroll up and read that (post #862). However if you would like more information please feel free to message me! I’d be happy to answer any questions you have.

So as far as I know, my pre-dent friends that are finishing up their first year (3 at Tufts) are succeeding. There are a couple of courses that I know they said were definitely beneficial- cell phys, histology, neuroanatomy, and absolutely gross anatomy. In addition, I recently spoke with one of my friends who matriculated to Tufts Dental who stated that “food and water microbiology”, “mycology”, and “infectious diseases” were helpful for her board prep because she wasn’t taught most of it at Tufts. I took the same courses as my dental friends, but I’ll starting medical school in the fall. So I wouldn’t be able to tell you if they were helpful or not. However, I’ll give an update after my first year.

As far as the time to complete it, that’s going to come down to you. 4 other friends and I who all started in the summer ended up finishing in one calendar year. Most people actually end up taking 18–24 months, and honestly there’s no issue with that. Everyone in the program is trying make up for something that they lack in their application whether that be a low GPA/low test scores. There’s absolutely no need to rush. Take the amount of classes per semester that you think will help you perform the best.

I wanted to finish in a year because I wanted to get out as fast as I can to avoid expenditures on housing/utilities/food. I think the same can be said of most of my other friends who finished in a year. Also a big motivating factor for me was that my state (Texas) had a very prominent medical science masters program that finished in a year, so I wanted to emulate their schedule and courses taken as much as I could. (I didn’t get accepted to the Texas one, which is why I went to the one in Mississippi). Finishing in a year would also allow me to submit my application for the following year with my completed masters degree.

If you would like to know more about why I think it’s absolutely doable to finish in a year (3.2sGPA in undergrad —> 3.86sGPA In masters), what courses I took to accomplish that, and which semesters I took them in, feel free to message me. A side note: I took the same classes as my dental friends including all of the ones I listed in the first paragraph. Hope this helps!

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Got my acceptance today. Game time.

Reactions: 1 users
Hello everyone! Anybody entering in for Fall 2019?

Anyone entering in the Spring? And does anyone know if there is a Fall and Spring graduation?

Hello all. Can anyone give me advice on the best class combo when entering during the Spring semester (and following semesters on the 18 month track) for someone who has been out of school for quite some time? Any and all advice would be appreciated.

Hello all. Can anyone give me advice on the best class combo when entering during the Spring semester (and following semesters on the 18 month track) for someone who has been out of school for quite some time? Any and all advice would be appreciated.

I'll message you

I apologize if this has been asked before but I am really interested in University of Mississippi Medical Center's (UMMC) masters in biomedical sciences. I dropped out of another masters in bms because I absolutely felt like they screwed students over (over promise/under deliver), was way too much per credit, and had absolutely no connections with any MD programs. I said screw it, failed my last class, and left. I ended up with a 2.9 GPA overall.

After talking to UMMC's masters in bms program director I feel like the masters program is the real deal in terms of getting into medical school. Has anyone heard anything about it? How does it compare to MC's masters program? Is it really too good to be true, etc?

I apologize if this has been asked before but I am really interested in University of Mississippi Medical Center's (UMMC) masters in biomedical sciences. I dropped out of another masters in bms because I absolutely felt like they screwed students over (over promise/under deliver), was way too much per credit, and had absolutely no connections with any MD programs. I said screw it, failed my last class, and left. I ended up with a 2.9 GPA overall.

After talking to UMMC's masters in bms program director I feel like the masters program is the real deal in terms of getting into medical school. Has anyone heard anything about it? How does it compare to MC's masters program? Is it really too good to be true, etc?
I've looked at UMC's program as well and had to decide between these two programs. The Biomedical at UMC is directly connected to the Medical School, but I believe it works best if you've already applied to the MD program-was denied-and then recommended by faculty to enter the program. For me, it seemed that the course options were too limited. I prefer the range of classes that are offered at MC. The price, however, is definitely something that would make me choose UMC over MC. UMC also is a "connections" type of facility. So, if you get into the program, get to know a few professors in good standing who can write you a recommendation letter; this would definitely work in your favor.

Hey does anyone have any statistics of how many complete the program and get into med school? For those that are trying to get into med school that is.
Also if there is a huge difference for non-resident students.

I am trying to decide between programs. I got into MC for a Spring 2020 start date

Hey does anyone have any statistics of how many complete the program and get into med school? For those that are trying to get into med school that is.
Also if there is a huge difference for non-resident students.

I am trying to decide between programs. I got into MC for a Spring 2020 start date
I was wondering about this as well. Reading through the thread, it seems like they used to publish these statistics before updating their website. I've had no luck finding these stats, but I'm planning on calling Dr. Baldwin this week to see if any of this is released by MC.

Does anyone know if this program helps students from out of Louisiana get into LSU-NO if they have a connection to the state? My soon to be fiancee is from there and we are trying to go back there!

I was wondering about this as well. Reading through the thread, it seems like they used to publish these statistics before updating their website. I've had no luck finding these stats, but I'm planning on calling Dr. Baldwin this week to see if any of this is released by MC.

Does anyone know if this program helps students from out of Louisiana get into LSU-NO if they have a connection to the state? My soon to be fiancee is from there and we are trying to go back there!

If you do well in the program, you have a good shot at LSU NO. Just ask Dr. Baldwin, and he’ll tell you everything about it.

I was just accepted to the program on Friday. Very excited to get another chance. Anyone else starting in spring? Would anyone recommend against starting in spring and wait until summer/fall?

Can anyone tell me about the seminar class. I’ve seen posts about doing it before starting the program, but are there not guidelines you have to follow. Thank you.

I will be starting the program Spring 2020!

I was just accepted to the program on Friday. Very excited to get another chance. Anyone else starting in spring? Would anyone recommend against starting in spring and wait until summer/fall?

It doesn't matter when you start.

If you struggled in the vigorous classes in undergrad or if it's been while since you've been in school, I would say not to do a med level and knock out a few of the electives and steer clear of the med levels. It's a common trap that new students get into. They get your money once, and you have to pay it again if you drop the class. Then you can delay graduation a semester (and another $10k) if you have to drop a med level instead of a 3 hour class. If you took a C in a prereq, you can retake it even if it's not a bio class (e.g physics).

As for med levels:
MP1 is a ball buster in terms of time spent. It really sucks that you have to spend time there and don't get credit for the lab.

Neuro or histo would be a safe bet for your first and second med levels. Then your third can be gross if you want.

Has anyone seen the new thread for the 2020-2021 class? I am also looking for the facebook group. Thanks!

Any ideas for good summer classes? Looking to take. May session and 1 or 2 over the main sessions? Also, is it looking like it’ll be online?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So, I just applied for the Fall 2020. Has anyone else recently applied or are going to be attending then?