Mississippi College Masters One Year??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey what's up, new to the whole SDN set up. Short run down of my story. Graduated college with a 2.8 cGPA, took my MCAT made a 24, applied to osteopathic medical school, got rejected. Retook my MCAT, made a 24 again, re-took classes and got an MPH. Raised my GPA to a solid 3.1, and yep... You guessed it, got rejected again. Three years running rejections. HAHA, never thought to give up though. It's not in my vocab. So, in my desperation I began looking up masters programs, because you know, most schools never tell you of the fact that you can do an SMP and it could (probably will) help your chances of admission.

I graduated from Oklahoma State, and received an email from Dr. Baldwin saying I am accepted to the MC program, and should get the official notice next week. I am totally amped and stoked to finally have something positive come out of this.

Members don't see this ad.

Congrats Jww8508! I have to wrap up my physics classes in order to apply. I hope to get in for spring 2012!

Yesterday I found out that I got in as well. Sending in my deposit on Monday. Hopefully I'll get the Gross Anatomy, Med Phys and Immunology schedule I've come up with.
Let the Apartment/ roommate search begin! :soexcited:

Members don't see this ad :)
hey guys.

well I got accepted as well. I kind of abandoned my app after i decided to stay in state. I did send the app fee in, but never did send my LORs. hmmm. kind of odd, but hopefully someone can take my seat.

Gluck all

I was just accepted as well. Looking at taking anatomy, med phys and possibly immuno first semester. Pretty excited and looking forward to starting. I'm going to be studying my butt off and getting straight A's to make up for my terrible gpa from 10-20yrs ago.

I'll see everyone there in August...I'll be the really tall 41 yr old guy ;)

For the people taking more than one 5 hour, why are you doing this? It's quite a hard task but usually if people do take more than one, it's histology with one of the other 5 hours. Also, med phys and gross are 2 of the most difficult classes in the program. Med phys is a class that people usually really understand and do well in or end up finding it really hard and struggling with it. Gross has a LOT of material to cover, but there is a lab component which helps your grade significantly.

...so does histo (i still have to see if i can swap it with anatomy now) med phys and biochem sound like a bad schedule?

denriq- Which biochem are you taking and who are you taking it with?

Last edited:
I am taking 13 hours.... Hist, med phys, and immune because i want to finish this program in one year so in order to do that i am kinda forced to take that many. plus it will help me handle the course load in medical school better...hopefully.

Meled, you will know after your second exam whether the course load is too much. If you fail the first 2 exams it is really not recommended that you stay. If you get A's or B's on the 1st 2 exams then you will be in good shape. The problem with this is that by the time the second exam comes around, then you (probably) won't be able to add anything else...

and when I say stay, I mean in both of the 5 hours.

For the people taking more than one 5 hour, why are you doing this? It's quite a hard task but usually if people do take more than one, it's histology with one of the other 5 hours. Also, med phys and gross are 2 of the most difficult classes in the program. Med phys is a class that people usually really understand and do well in or end up finding it really hard and struggling with it. Gross has a LOT of material to cover, but there is a lab component which helps your grade significantly.

Well Teal C The only way to finish your course work in a year is if you do more than one 5 credit course in a semester. I've been talking to alot of students there and in med school and they have recommended the same thing: Don't do Gross and Med Phys together. I'm now thinking of Histo plus either Gross or Med Phys (leaning more towards Gross) and immuno. But that's up for discussion as well

Don't worry chirodoc We'll be the old guys in the room together lol I'm 31 and I thought I was gonna be the "old man" of the group. I bet there will be a 51 y-o guy there!! I guess we need to form a support group lol

Members don't see this ad :)
Nel G- 31 is NOTHING! haha! There is quite a variety of ages in the group. Some people are older than you would think because everyone acts so young.

Meled, you will know after your second exam whether the course load is too much. If you fail the first 2 exams it is really not recommended that you stay. If you get A's or B's on the 1st 2 exams then you will be in good shape. The problem with this is that by the time the second exam comes around, then you (probably) won't be able to add anything else...
How else do you finish the program in a year if you dnt take more than 5.hours? Also, how do you get through med school if you cnt handle the course load

denriq- Which biochem are you taking and who are you taking it with?

Biochem macromolecules with JC Bailey. I just want to make sure that I don't have an overwhelming course load. I'm thinking of dropping anatomy for histo. If it's such a bad idea to take anatomy and med phys with biochem, then is histo, med phys, and biochem macro a better plan? Any suggestions to help me avoid shooting myself in the foot would be great.

How are you guy/gals registering for courses??? Is it because you are already enrolled in the program? I have been bugging Dr. Baldwin since March for an alternate PIN in order to register for classes, but he keeps telling me that he has not received them yet. I am worried about classes being full, but he tells me most of the students have yet to graduate, therefore, they cannot enroll either. Should I be worried.

P.S. I am also searching for roommates. I am 29 from Baltimore, MD.

Hey i've been accepted as well! Is anyone looking for a roommate?? (female :)) I'm from North Carolina and i'm finding it hard to apartment shop from so far away!

Nel G, Let's hope so, I don't want to be the oldest one in the group. Then again, I look 25 so I'll fit right in. ;) Think the support group does sound good...we can meet for beers at the closest bar and make fun of the youngins for playing that music so loud!

On a more serious note...I'm looking for a roommate also. I've lived with males and females before so it doesn't matter to me who as long as you're pretty clean, don't mind my cat and are a good roomie. I have a car and all the furniture, tv, kitchen stuff, etc. already. If anyone is interested in talking PM me.

Hey Everyone!

I was accepted last month as well but I am still holding out a little hope for medical school (currently on the waitlist) and deciding between this program and another. I just wanted to know what the exact process was in confirming a spot in the event that I do. Is there a deposit that needs to be sent in/ a deadline approaching?

Thanks in advance!

Good luck everyone!

Last edited:
Hey guys. I'm an alumnus of this program, graduated back in the fall of 2010. I'll be more than happy to answer any questions or give any advice. Some things have changed there so if I don't know the answer, I'll try my best to find out from current students or students who just recently graduated this spring. This is a great program and great opportunity. Best of luck to everyone!

hey crimsontide, where did you live while in the program?

Hey afia11,

I lived in a not so good place and I would not recommend that place to you at all. Most students live at the Reserve at Woodchase. It's a little bit pricey if you live on your own in a one bedroom but if you have roommates, it's doable. I highly recommend the Reserve because you'll be around your fellow graduate students and it's a great support network. Plus you'll be in walking distance for the after-exam parties so no driving home under the influence! There should be a Facebook group floating around somewhere for MC students starting in the fall. Dr. Baldwin starts a new group for every semester and students usually use that as a way to find roommates. There is a place literally right across the street from campus called College Plaza which is pretty good. As for your first question, no there is not graduate dorms available. There are undergraduate dorms and you can contact housing to see if they'll let graduate students live there if there are any open rooms.

Crimson tide- which complex did you live at? I want to make sure that I don't go there. I'm considering stonegate and the landing, any feedback on these two apartment complexes.
Thanks!

Hey chirodocjrd. I lived at Shadowbrook. Management was good, complex and neighbors were not. I would go with Stonegate, if not the Reserves.

I was looking at the MC website and it seems most people end up going to the University of Mississippi School Of Medicine. Is there like an unofficial linkage program between the two?

I'm accepted to the program for this fall too! I just joined SDN because I was looking for others that were going. I'm thinking about living outside of Clinton though, like in Flowood. There are some nice places there. I'll have to go down for a visit though before I decide.

I've talked to Dr. Baldwin a couple of times, he seems really nice. He called me to tell me that I was accepted, and he spent time answering my questions. Super guy!

My plan for fall right now is Biochem, Med Phys, Histo, and Virology. Some of you will be in there with me. Yay!

Most of you who said your age seem to be a little older than I am. How intimidating! Seriously! You guys will be on top of this stuff. I'm super nervous.

Hey CT, are you in med school now? And if so, do you mind saying where? Did this program help you get in?

Hey spcallie58,

Your post is a couple of weeks old, so you may have your PIN already. If you don't, then don't worry, I haven't registered yet either. :) I just have an idea of what I'd like to take.

If you are attending this program you better get ready. Do not plan on having a job, that would be a death wish. If you are just an average student, you will have to make some major life and study skill changes to succeed. Kids who do well in the program blow medical school and dental school out of the water.

Also, I don't recommend taking two 5hr classes your first semester. This is the best way to destroy your GPA. Get a semester under your belt before you take two 5hrs at the same time. The test you will take are unlike any test you have ever taken before in your life. Kids who do well in the program blow medical and dental school out of the water. As for Dr. Baldwin goes....he is great until you start the program and then he is the most unapproachable person you have ever met! He makes you feel like a complete idiot everytime you ask a question in his Med Phys or Neuro class. Enjoy your summer b/c your life is about to totally change. I hope this helps someone.

Also, I don't recommend taking two 5hr classes your first semester. This is the best way to destroy your GPA. Get a semester under your belt before you take two 5hrs at the same time. The test you will take are unlike any test you have ever taken before in your life. Kids who do well in the program blow medical and dental school out of the water. As for Dr. Baldwin goes....he is great until you start the program and then he is the most unapproachable person you have ever met! He makes you feel like a complete idiot everytime you ask a question in his Med Phys or Neuro class. Enjoy your summer b/c your life is about to totally change. I hope this helps someone.

Hey Dent,

How long did you take to complete the program and what classes did you take each semester? Thanks in advance

3 semesters.

1st -Med Phys, Med Micro, Cell Phys
2nd-Neuro, Histo
3rd-Gross Anatomy, embryo

It all depends on what you want to get out of the program...I don't remember anything from the semester I took two 5hrs b/c I was so stressed out.

Histo- this class is brute memorization. You have to know every freaking word on every page of notes. It's suppose to be the easiest 5 hr. but I thought it was tough b/c there is no rhyme or reason to any of it. Some how you are expected to organize and remember a million small details.
Neuro- this class is conceptual. Don't really have to memorize. If you really understand how things work you will be ok. However, if you get behind you cannot catch up and will have to drop.
Med Phys- this is also conceptual. Baldwin has his own style teaching this. Some kids really like but most struggle.
Anatomy- brute memorization and ton of it.

The reason for my previous post is b/c nobody realizes how tough the program is going into it. Everyone has good intentions of studying hard and doing well. I've seen a lot of kids go home after the first semester and a lot of kids ruin any chance of attending a professional school b/c they bit off more than they could chew first semester. You will see what I'm talking about once you get a semester under your belt. The program is sooo overkill it's crazy. It's basically a weed out program for kids wanting to go to med or dental school. The kids who do go on to med or dental school after the program absolutely kick ass because they have already had the core class and were forced to learn way more than needed for National Boards.

If you plan on taking Pharm, you have to take med phys first. This is something nobody told me until I had already started. Also, Dr. Baldwin will tell people to take Neuro and Med Phys together...this is down right mean. That is basically like trying to make someone fail out. I'm just telling things that most kids learn the hardway and by then it's too late.

I finished with a 3.8 and had been out of school 5 years so it can be done. I just wish someone had told me how things really were in the beginning.

Reactions: 1 user
I was looking at the MC website and it seems most people end up going to the University of Mississippi School Of Medicine. Is there like an unofficial linkage program between the two?

Yes it is unofficial. Many MC students, undergrad and grad, will end up at UMC. However, we do have students get accepted to schools from all over the country. Keep in mind that UMC only considers in-state students.

Hey CT, are you in med school now? And if so, do you mind saying where? Did this program help you get in?

I have been accepted to UMC and will start this fall. And YES, this program DEFINITELY help me get in!

dentman82, I am sorry to hear about your relationship with Dr. Baldwin. I guess it's different for everybody. I never had a problem with him. He really helped me with getting into medical school and so far, he is the best professor I ever had. However, I do agree with you on this. The program can either help you or destroy you. For most grad students, this program is a second chance. A few will come and do not take this seriously and end up ruining their chances overall. I'm not saying all but most won't be able to recover from a very bad performance in this program. It is very very tough. Also, your best bet is to take one five hour and test the water before jumping into two fives. Keep in mind that everybody is different though.

So come in with the mentality that you will rock the program and you will do fine. Don't take it lightly. And if things get a little crazy, just remember that if you learn it now, it's just a review in med school. Good luck!

Crimsontide459,

Please remember YOU got yourself into med school, NOT Baldwin. Baldwin didn't take the MCAT for you, Baldwin didn't pass the classes at MC for you. His program did force you develop better study skills which will serve you well at UMMC, but he did not get you in school.

Crimsontide459,

Please remember YOU got yourself into med school, NOT Baldwin. Baldwin didn't take the MCAT for you, Baldwin didn't pass the classes at MC for you. His program did force you develop better study skills which will serve you well at UMMC, but he did not get you in school.

Which is why I said he HELPED me with getting into medical school and not he got me into medical school. He did mock interviews for me, wrote letters of recommendations, and advised me on the application process. I did all of the work, but I certainly didn't do it on my own.

Yes it is unofficial. Many MC students, undergrad and grad, will end up at UMC. However, we do have students get accepted to schools from all over the country. Keep in mind that UMC only considers in-state students.

I have been accepted to UMC and will start this fall. And YES, this program DEFINITELY help me get in!

dentman82, I am sorry to hear about your relationship with Dr. Baldwin. I guess it's different for everybody. I never had a problem with him. He really helped me with getting into medical school and so far, he is the best professor I ever had. However, I do agree with you on this. The program can either help you or destroy you. For most grad students, this program is a second chance. A few will come and do not take this seriously and end up ruining their chances overall. I'm not saying all but most won't be able to recover from a very bad performance in this program. It is very very tough. Also, your best bet is to take one five hour and test the water before jumping into two fives. Keep in mind that everybody is different though.

So come in with the mentality that you will rock the program and you will do fine. Don't take it lightly. And if things get a little crazy, just remember that if you learn it now, it's just a review in med school. Good luck!

Hey Crimson,
Which classes did you take each semester?

Which is why I said he HELPED me with getting into medical school and not he got me into medical school. He did mock interviews for me, wrote letters of recommendations, and advised me on the application process. I did all of the work, but I certainly didn't do it on my own.

Well said, no argument. Good luck on your first year. The MC program allowed me to basically sleep through the first 2 years of dental school. Roll Tide!

Does anyone has any experience with, or insight on, pharmacology 1 & 2? I was planning on 11-12 hrs this fall (decided not to take med phys and anatomy together thanks to the advice of posts here), probably 13-14hrs spring and 3hrs in the may 2 wks. I'm debating on whether to drop it to 2 5hrs in the spring and take both pharms in the summer or up my credits to 15 each semester, do the 3hrs in may and be done. Any advice?

Thanks!

is there a group on fb for the 2011-2012 masters?

hey i was wondering if anyone had any information on loans.... i have the direct loan which pays for school and book then i have the grad plus loan...but both of these loans are just for the fall and spring how do i get loans to cover for the summer? do i reapply in the spring? also i thought that the total cost of the program was 18000ish so wouldnt the direct loan be enough for the whole program? thanks for any help!!!!!

hey i was wondering if anyone had any information on loans.... i have the direct loan which pays for school and book then i have the grad plus loan...but both of these loans are just for the fall and spring how do i get loans to cover for the summer? do i reapply in the spring? also i thought that the total cost of the program was 18000ish so wouldnt the direct loan be enough for the whole program? thanks for any help!!!!!

You'll get additional loans for the summer semester, possibly the may semester but I'm not sure. Give the financial aid office a call and the can answer your questions.

The Facebook group is "2011-2012 New Medical Science Graduate Students Mississippi College"

ok, dumb question.... but how did those of you who are accepted submit mcat scores? i was thinking the program would be listed on the mcat reporting system website since other masters program are listed and I would send scores that way

or did you just print a report yourself and mail it to the graduate office??
:confused:

I had no outside help so I lived a year and a half strictly off my loans. Both direct subsidized and unsubsidized payed for everything from tuition to bills to rent to books. Maybe you can pull it off but I, along with most people in the program, did not have jobs during the semester. It is impossible if you want to do well.

At MC, the academic year starts during the summer instead of the fall. So if you fill out your FAFSA during the spring semester and you register for classes in the summer, they'll divide your loans for that academic year three way instead of two way.

ok, dumb question.... but how did those of you who are accepted submit mcat scores? i was thinking the program would be listed on the mcat reporting system website since other masters program are listed and I would send scores that way

or did you just print a report yourself and mail it to the graduate office??
:confused:

You can print a score report and send it in to the graduate office.

For the gross anatomy lab....do you actually get to use real cadavers?

How do we know which books to get for each class? Is there a list somewhere for each class?

For the gross anatomy lab....do you actually get to use real cadavers?

Yes but the cadavers have already been separated into parts and they're plasticized (sp?).

How do we know which books to get for each class? Is there a list somewhere for each class?

They should have a list on the school's bookstore webpage. If not, then wait until closer to the end of the summer semester and the website will update for fall semester classes.

Hi all, a few things

First of all, I think I may apply here if I don't get into VCU CERT.

First, should I be worried that the website looks like it was made by someone in an intro to HTML class? :laugh: J/K.

2 - this may be silly but...can I go if I am not Christian?

3 - Being a Christian campus, do they have many rules such as no speaking with opposite sex after a certain time or something? I believe Liberty, another private Christian campus, does this according to my friend.

4 - Is there a good social scene at all?

5 - Does anyone have a statistic on acceptance rates into med schools following the program or anything?

5 b - It seems Ole Miss has good recognition of this program, but coming from VA, it may be tough for me to get resident status, right? Do many other med schools recognize this program well?

6 - What are the avg. GPA/GRE/MCAT of matriculants into this program?

Last edited: