Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Mississippi

Discussion in 'Pre-Veterinary' started by vetgirl09, Dec 25, 2008.

1. vetgirl09

2+ Year Member

Pre-Veterinary
    Just thought that I would start a Mississippi thread cause we are supposed to hear from them after Christmas and tomorrow starts the nerve wracking wait and obsessive e-mail checking, lol. How is everyone holding up? :)

#1 vetgirl09, Dec 25, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2008
  2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. hizarlow

hizarlow Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

Veterinary Student
    Other than checking my email every 5 seconds and then checking the website at USM to reread the FAQ to make sure I haven't missed something every 10 seconds I am doing well. How about you?

#2 hizarlow, Dec 26, 2008
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2009
  4. equus2013

2+ Year Member

Pre-Veterinary
    Yea they are really torturing us arent they!? they let you know if you dont get an interview right? i dont know about you guys but i would love an excuse to escape the snow and go to miss for a day or two :)

5. BayleeVet2B

BayleeVet2B UGA CVM Class of 2013!
    2+ Year Member

Veterinary Student
    I am patiently (ok..IMpatiently) waiting too. Hopefully tomorrow will bring some good news! Good luck everybody!

6. Ben and Me

5+ Year Member

I am about to jump out of my skin, haha. I almost wish it was coming in the "snail mail" because, after all, you can only check that 1 time a day.

7. eringobraugh

5+ Year Member

Post Doc
    Are we supposed to find out this week if we DON'T have an interview or just if we do? Does anyone know?

8. feadog

10+ Year Member

Veterinarian
    Based on the December Update e-mail, it sounds like we should be hearing either way.

9. hizarlow

hizarlow Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

Veterinary Student
    YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Interview Feb 10, 2009. YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10. meadow36

meadow36 UF CVM 2013
    7+ Year Member

Veterinary Student
    Congrats to the Miss State people. Good luck at your interviews!! Wish I could join you. :(

11. HopefulAg

HopefulAg Texas A&M CVM c/o 2014!
    10+ Year Member

Veterinarian
    Yah, they send you a rejection e-mail. :(

Oh well, it's better than being left hanging.

12. DreamComeTrue09

DreamComeTrue09 Second time the charm?
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Veterinary
    Just got an email an hour ago that I am not invited to interview :scared: I thought I had a good chance at that school...The first school I've shedded a few tears over for not being accepted.:( Check your email you guys, I hope everyone of u has an interview letter, even though I know that isn't possible ;) best of luck :luck:

13. Ben and Me

5+ Year Member

HopefulAg, I'm so sorry. I got rejected from Va-Md a few weeks ago, so I know how it feels...but it probably is better to know than to be left wondering. I am sure you'll dominate your TAMU interview!

14. Rusty27

Rusty27 Ohio State c/o 2013
    2+ Year Member

Veterinary Student
    I too got the rejection email. :(

15. BayleeVet2B

2+ Year Member

Veterinary Student
    Where are you all in the alphabet? I'm a "T"...do you think they go in order? I haven't heard one way or the other yet! I'm in SC and we're a contract state...maybe that's a different pile.....I can't take this anymore!!!!!!!!!!!!!:scared:

16. DreamComeTrue09

2+ Year Member

Pre-Veterinary
    My last name starts with an M if that helps

17. DreamComeTrue09

2+ Year Member

Pre-Veterinary
    I keep checking my email expecting to see another one stating that the first email was actually a mistake...wow, do i wish...

18. HopefulAg

HopefulAg Texas A&M CVM c/o 2014!
    10+ Year Member

Veterinarian
    Last name starts with an R.

19. BayleeVet2B

2+ Year Member

Veterinary Student
    My email was in my quarantine spam box!!! YIKES!!!

20. DreamComeTrue09

2+ Year Member

Pre-Veterinary
    lol Bayleevet, in my email box it was in my inbox but labeled as possible spam. Congrats on your interview! I guess they mass emailed both interview invites, and non-interview letters

21. Ben and Me

5+ Year Member

Does anybody know about how many people they interview for each applicant pool?

22. DogLover824

DogLover824 KSU CVM c/o 2013
    5+ Year Member

Veterinary Student
    i was rejected too, def doesn't help the bad day at work i'm having... boooo :(

23. anxwaiting

2+ Year Member

Pre-Veterinary
    Interview on February 19....third times a charm!! :)

24. hizarlow

hizarlow Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

Veterinary Student
    Does anyone know how many applicants Mississippi State is interviewing? IS/OOS?

25. BR549

2+ Year Member

Pre-Veterinary
    I have an interview on Feb. 18th. Does anyone have a website that tells about the college? I have navigated the school site, and found a few things, but not as much as other schools have. I want to be prepared if they ask me about the school. Thank you for your help!

26. hopenpray

2+ Year Member

Pre-Veterinary
    Hey everyone, I have a interview on Fe. 16-17. Does anyone know if these are the days for the OOS applicants? Congratulations to all who are going to be there as well. Also, I truly understand where those that didn't are coming from. This is my second year to apply, and the first year I almost had to sign myself in to the Psych ward. This year my resolution is to handle stress differently. I am only going to take multiple antacids and indigestion meds and hope for the best. Ha!

27. Optimistic 13

2+ Year Member

Pre-Veterinary

#26 Optimistic 13, Jan 2, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2009
  28. 3dogsand2cats

2+ Year Member

Veterinary Student
    Hey guys I am new to this site and ran across this post. Just wanted to see if anyone else has heard from Mississippi. I got an invitation on the 29th. I am really nervous! Hope the rest of you hear soon!:)

29. 3dogsand2cats

2+ Year Member

Veterinary Student
    Hey guys I am new to this site and ran across this post. Just wanted to see if anyone else has heard from Mississippi. I got an invitation on Feb 19th. I am really nervous! Hope the rest of you hear soon!:)

30. alonepear

alonepear MissState CVM 2011
    2+ Year Member

Veterinary Student
    A few quick travel tidbits for you guys coming to interview:

First, congrats! Starkville is (unfortunately) located almost dead in the center of the nearest three larger airports, which are Jackson MS, Birmingham AL and Memphis TN. Birmingham is most often the cheapest and most convenient to fly into, and is about 2.5 hours away. Memphis is a little further at around 3 hours, and Jackson is a little less at 2 hours.

There is also a small local airport just a few miles outside of Starkville, called the Golden Triangle Airport, located in Columbus MS. This airport is much more conveniently located, but often much more expensive to fly into. Only Delta flies into it, and the flights always come from Atlanta. Sometimes you can catch a good deal online though.

There are a few hotels within Starkville, with the Hampton Inn being the closest to the vet school (literally, a 2 minute drive). Although, Starkville isn't very large, so anywhere in Starkville will be a fairly quick drive. There is no public transportation here, so plan on renting a car or making friends with your assigned mentor and asking for a ride (if anyone ends up needing help in this area, I may be able to pick people up and/or drop them off on the way to and from school!)

I definitely spent a nice little chunk of money coming out to interview -- I flew into Memphis, rented a car there, and stayed at the Hampton Inn in Starkville. Luckily I had the parents financial support because they were just so darned proud I hooked an interview :rolleyes:

Lastly, Starkville isn't very pretty in February, but don't let that discourage you! I thought it was the most miserable place on earth when I came to interview -- tiny southern town in the middle of nowhere, and crappy cold rain. It really does look pretty in the spring through, and the small town eventually grows on you (enough to live here for 4 years anyway!)

Feel free to PM me or post any questions you have :D

31. Pistol Pete

2+ Year Member

Pre-Veterinary
    The nearest major airport that might have direct flights from MA would be Memphis or Nashville, TN. Memphis is about a 3 hr drive to Starkville, Nashville is about a 5 hr drive. Closest airport would be in Columbus, MS (Golden Triangle)about 30 minutes from Mississippi State.

Little known fact to OOS...while everyone believes MSU is in Starkville...MSU is actually its own city...Mississippi State, MS. Post office is on campus.

Pete

32. hizarlow

hizarlow Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

Veterinary Student
    Take this with what ever faith you want, but I know a guy who knows a guy who got a letter to help with interviews at State. According to the letter there were about 700 applicants, about 2-300 were in state. Of that 50 in state applicants were invited to an interview, and 1-200 out of state. In past years the class has been 75 - 80 students with approx. 2/3rds of those being in state.

Again that was a from a guy, a guy I know knows.

Good luck to everyone, (as long as you don't bump me:D)

33. 3dogsand2cats

2+ Year Member

Veterinary Student
    hizarlow thanks for the info. It only makes me more nervous LOL :help:

34. alonepear

2+ Year Member

Veterinary Student
    The class of 2011 has 76 students, and the class of 2012 has 80 students. I think our classrooms max out at 80, so they may be sticking to that number until they can expand.

The classes are always half in-state, half out-of-state, and if you're put on the out-of-state waitlist, in the past you've almost always been invited to join the class. There are people in my class (class of 2011) that interviewed, were rejected, and then called up over the summer with an invitation. I'm sure as the applicant pool increases each year, this will become less likely, but I figured it was still an encouraging thing to know =)

35. BayleeVet2B

2+ Year Member

Veterinary Student
    Any inside info...words of wisdom...for us SC contract people??

36. Pistol Pete

2+ Year Member

Pre-Veterinary
    If there are 40 IS and 40 OOS spots and if Hizarlow's friend of a friend interview numbers are correct at 50 IS and 200 OOS...guess you IS invitees have to be feeling pretty good right now.

Alonepear...tell us about the MSU interview process...open/closed file...behavioral...types of questions,length, # of adcom. How long afterward do they make you squirm before acceptance letters are sent?

Thanks

Pete

37. equus2013

2+ Year Member

Pre-Veterinary
    I found a website that talked about some interview questions from a couple schools. Someone says on it that Miss state entering start in May? I searched the MSU website and couldn't find any mention of this...can anyone help me out? Thanks so much!

http://www.prehealth.ccsu.edu/kellyvet/purdmiss.htm

38. equus2013

2+ Year Member

Pre-Veterinary
    one more question...does anyone know how many OOSs are wait-listed??

39. alonepear

2+ Year Member

Veterinary Student
    First off, just know that there's been a few changes over the past year in terms of who's running the interview show, so all of my answers are based on how it's been done the past few years.

There was usually a pizza party held the night before your interview, where you get to meet fellow interviewees and some current students and staff, as well as get a tour of the school and hospital.

The day of the interview, there was an hour or so long intro where you get the basic info about the school, classes, tuition, opportunities, etc. The interviews are open-file, and most people I've spoken to have all been asked questions pulled from or based on their own experience. The majority of everyone's interview experiences were pleasant and laid-back, although a few people have had more stressful experiences. The interview is with 3 people, usually one or two faculty members and one or two graduates of the school that work in different fields, and lasts about 30 minutes.

You are assigned a mentor, a current first or second year student, to show you around, answer questions and make sure you're all set to get to your interview.

Within a few weeks of the last interviews being held they will contact you individually to let you know if you were accepted. From what I remember last year, the out of state waitlist was about 20 or 30 people, maybe a little more. They will NOT release what number you are on the waitlist. In the past, they usually make it through most, if not all, of the out of state waitlist by the end of the summer (because, lets be honest, most people that aren't from Mississippi really think they want to live there if they don't have to =).

Following the current curriculum, school begins in mid-to-late August, usually a week or two earlier than most other vet schools. They were recently putting up for a review a curriculum change that would switch the school over to a block schedule, but from what I've heard that entire proposal has been scrapped, so I'm fairly certain school will be starting in the fall as normal.

Somewhere on SDN is an interview information section, where both I and others have posted a lot of the questions we were asked in our interviews (at all schools). Also, last year the mentors sent the interviewees a summary of sample interview questions. They do not have a behavioral interview process.

Did I get them all? :)

40. equus2013

2+ Year Member

Pre-Veterinary
    Very helpful and complete! Thanks so much!

41. Ben and Me

5+ Year Member

alonepear, thank you so much!

42. Pistol Pete

2+ Year Member

Pre-Veterinary
    Alonepear,

Thanks for outlining the process. On the statement above, is this done by the mentor prior to the day of the interview....i.e. via e-mail?

Thanks

PP

43. alonepear

2+ Year Member

Veterinary Student
    No problem guys =) I remember how crazed I was 2 years ago trying to get ready for the interview process, so I'm definitely willing to supply any help or info that I can for you.

Last year the mentors were assigned a few weeks before the interviews, and they contacted their mentees via email. Our class decided to put together the list of past interview questions, and emailed it to everyone coming to interview.

I think I still have the document saved if anyone wants it, just pm me your email address and I'll send it along.

44. BR549

2+ Year Member

Pre-Veterinary
    alonepear, Does Mississippi State do much regarding exotics? I looked at their rotations, but there wasn't anything that mentioned avian medicine or exotics.

45. rouxeny

2+ Year Member

Veterinary Student

#44 rouxeny, Jan 14, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2009
  46. hizarlow

hizarlow Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

Veterinary Student
    Has anyone heard from the mentor yet? When do you think that will be?

Alonepear - I don't know how to pm you but I would like that list.

47. 3dogsand2cats

2+ Year Member

Veterinary Student
    I have not heard from my mentor yet. I don't know about anyone else but I am getting more and more nervous. :scared:

48. equus2013

2+ Year Member

Pre-Veterinary
    Missy said the mentors will get in touch a couple days before your interview date, so I don't know when you guys are interviewing but unless its within a few days I wouldn't worry :)
    Good luck everyone!

49. alonepear

2+ Year Member

Veterinary Student
    Nope, not much at all actually. Which sucks for me, because I'm an avian/exotics person. We have one class, Special Species, during second year, which introduces you to most exotic and avian pet and research species, but that's about it.

In order to make up for this deficit, we have a lot of weeks (more than most schools) during our senior year dedicated for externships that can be done at other vet schools & practices, in any discipline we choose. You can also take any or all of your senior year electives at other vet schools (it just takes some effort to find them and slide yourself in.)

Plus we have a WEZAAM club (wildlife, exotic, zoo, avian, and aquatic animal med) which I'm currently an officer of (it's the coolest club ever ;) ). This weekend we're taking a trip over to the Georgia Aquarium and the Auburn Raptor Center.

Anyways, the point is that, if you want to do exotics, and you have the chance to go to a school with more exotics opportunities, I'd go for that. If you're more like me, struggling just to get into ANY vet school, then any school will do as long as you make the best of all opportunities that are presented to you. :luck:

50. BR549

2+ Year Member

Pre-Veterinary
    Yeah, I'm more like you! I made some stupid mistakes in undergrad, like making a C in "Public Leadership and Service"!! Funny thing is, I am an Americorps member now!

That does stink! I love exotics and there is a huge need where I live. The vet I worked for told me she would buy me whatever I needed for an exotics practice, just "get your D.V.M., so you can work for me". I have a parrot and keep reef aquariums. Have you been to the GA aquarium yet? It is pretty nice, I just thought it would've been bigger.

Thank you for your help!

51. BR549

2+ Year Member

Pre-Veterinary
    I was wondering if anyone was planning on driving from Atlanta to MS on the 17th for the pizza party and interview on the 18th. I am planning to drive, but trying to be environmentally and economically friendly, I was wondering if anyone wanted to carpool. You can PM if you do. Plus, 4 and half hours is a long drive without someone to talk to!

Good luck to all!