Mississippi

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
What is the housing situation like in Starkville? If I am accepted I would like to find a place with a few acres that I could keep my horse. Is something like that difficult to come by?

Members don't see this ad.

Speaking with a Dr. that graduated from their, I was told about a place called Jen Lake Meadows. It has a fenced in acherage for horses and a lake and a place to ride. They have a website, but don't out bid me on a house.

Just wanted to wish you good luck Hizarlow with your Mississippi interview! You go the day before me....so maybe our paths will cross and we'll get to say hi! Again...GOOD LUCK!!!:luck:,

Members don't see this ad :)
What is the housing situation like in Starkville? If I am accepted I would like to find a place with a few acres that I could keep my horse. Is something like that difficult to come by?

The town is fairly small, but most students don't have too much trouble finding housing, considering how much of the town revolves around the university. There are a handful of apartment complexes, ranging from pretty nice to kinda run-down. Some of them actually just rent out individual bedrooms within multi-bedroom apartments, which is a money-saving option for students. Most of the apartments do not allow pets -- which sucks. There are also a TON of rental homes and condos, both in neighborhood settings and "downtown" (aka where most of the undergrads live). Quite a few vet students purchase or rent mobile homes (Jenn Lake, mentioned above, is the most popular of these areas), because they are very reasonably priced, and some have areas for you to keep your horses and other animals. I couldn't do this because I'm deathly afraid of tornadoes, which roll through here a few times a year...

A lot of us "older" vet students invested in purchasing a house -- super cheap real estate here, and you're likely to sell it quickly when it's time to leave, to another incoming student. I pay less owning here than I used to back home in NC to rent a house that was half this size, and we have a huge fenced in backyard here that the dogs love.

There is an electronic classifieds board you get access to once you're a student, and there are often people looking to rent out rooms, to find new roommates, to sell their house, etc., so that's a really good resource. The students and faculty here are great about helping incoming students find places. Usually we set up a document that gets updated every few days, with housing options, for incoming students.

I just saw that you'd like room for your horse -- we have some students that purchased homes with TONS of land to keep horses, cows, llamas, etc, just outside of town (think 20-25 minute drive -- out in the boonies), for DIRT cheap. So that's an option too =)

:luck:

alonepear i was just wondering if you knew when we would be finding out our mentors for state. i know the list has been sent around the first and second yr students to sign up to be mentors but because my sister is a first year there and she told me but she didnt know when we would find out who our mentors were, do you happen to know how much longer it will be before we know? also is there any advice you could give about getting ready for the interview?

thanks mmb126

Thanks for the info...now all I have to do is get accepted!!! (fingers crossed)

I think they usually send out the mentor information a week or two before your interview date. I believe they're in the process of matching everyone up right now, and they should have the lists soon enough. Usually they release the information to the mentors, and they contact their mentees (you guys) individually, via email.

As for any advice, just try to not to get too nerve-wracked! You've made it this far, you obviously are a very competitive candidate, and the interview process here is generally one of the more laid-back experiences you'll have if you're interviewing at multiple schools.

To prepare for my interview, I read over my entire VMCAS application a few times, because they do like to pull stuff out of your application and ask you about it -- like what your research was on, or how you liked working with horses when you were volunteering down the road, or how you dealt with unruly co-workers when you were a tech at a busy clinic.

I also found that interviewers also liked to see if you were keeping up to date on stuff going on, especially if it affects veterinarians. Last year they asked a lot of people how they felt about the newer issue of the horse slaughter ban. And contrary to what you may think, they're not looking for you to believe the same side that they do -- they just want to know what you think and *why*. I'd recommend purusing some veterinary news resources, like DVM News Magazine (you can google it), or skimming through the first few pages of the latest JAVMA or any other veterinary publication that may be lying around your practice or your school's library.

I also bought a book about preparing for med school interviews, since there wasn't one for vet school, just to have a handle on generic interview questions (what is your greatest weakness? stuff like that....)

Come across as confident, determined, ready to learn, open-minded, and academically driven and I'm sure you'll do fine ;)

Just wanted to wish you good luck Hizarlow with your Mississippi interview! You go the day before me....so maybe our paths will cross and we'll get to say hi! Again...GOOD LUCK!!!:luck:,

Well thank you, and the same to you. I haven't had so much anticipation for a day since I was 7 waiting on Christmas.

I plan on showing up on the 9th, checking in, driving around town, showing up for the pizza party, then checking out the next day before orientation and chaning and leaving from the school. So...we probably won't meet that day, but I am sure we will have the next four years to say hi:D.

Hey guys
Just wanted to wish everyone good luck on their up coming interviews. I know I need all the luck I can get :D Anyways best of luck :luck:!

Good luck to you too, 3dogsand2cats and to everybody interviewing! Was looking on the interview attire thread..but was wondering...what are you all planning to wear? A suit...pants and a sweater? I had one thing in mind..but now reading the other thread..I'm thinking I need to go shopping! Alonepear...any thoughts?:D

My personal recommendation would be to wear a suit. There are always a few people in nice pants/skirts with a nice sweater, but usually it is overwhelmingly suits. I just felt more professional all jazzed up in a suit. You'll get your picture taken, and if you end up going here, that picture will follow you the whole 4 years, so make sure you like your hair and shirt that day =)

I just found out that they're interviewing 100 more people this year than last year :eek:

I'm a mentor for 2 people interviewing on the 17th, so I'll see some of you guys then!

(PS-Starkville can be kind of rainy this time of year -- don't forget your umbrella ;) )

[quote=alonepear;7666724

I just found out that they're interviewing 100 more people this year than last year :eek:

Assuming the additional 100 is comprised of both IS and OOS, is MSU expanding its class size?

Thanks

PP

Alonepear, do you know how many people are being interviewed, and how many seats there are?

Members don't see this ad :)
It looks like they're interviewing ~260 people, ~60 in-state and ~200 out-of-state. From what I understand, the class size is likely to be the same as the class of 2012, which is 40 in-state and 40 out-of-state. It looks like ~50 SC and WV students are interviewing... I think we have 5-ish contract SC seats, and 1 or 2 WV contract seats? Don't quote me on that last part though.... And I can't remember if the contract seats count as one of the 40 in-state or out-of-state spots either...

You guys should all be hearing from your mentors over the next few days, as the assignments were just distributed.

It looks like they're interviewing ~260 people, ~60 in-state and ~200 out-of-state. From what I understand, the class size is likely to be the same as the class of 2012, which is 40 in-state and 40 out-of-state. It looks like ~50 SC and WV students are interviewing... I think we have 5-ish contract SC seats, and 1 or 2 WV contract seats? Don't quote me on that last part though.... And I can't remember if the contract seats count as one of the 40 in-state or out-of-state spots either...

You guys should all be hearing from your mentors over the next few days, as the assignments were just distributed.

Ok Alonepear.....thinking positively here.....acceptance letter...big or small envelope!:xf:

In the past, they've always done an acceptance phone call. The lady who used to do that is now gone, so I'm not sure if that tradition will be carried on. We also got an acceptance email, if you didn't answer your phone (that would be me -- I was out walking my dog!) I can't remember what the letter that came in the mail a few days later looked like. Rejection letters were received a few days after the phone calls were placed to the acceptances...

Plus they post a list here, after they place the phone calls, so if anyone is freaking out about not hearing, you can ask me or your mentor to look at the list and see if you're there =)

Lonepear, I have a few more questions!!

How long after the interview did you get your acceptance phone call?

How is the interview weighted? Does MSU use a points system?

Lonepear, I have a few more questions!!

How long after the interview did you get your acceptance phone call?

How is the interview weighted? Does MSU use a points system?

Usually they place the acceptance calls about 1-2 weeks after the last interviews take place, which I believe this year is Feb.18.

I think the interview is weighted equally amongst the other parts of your application. It is open-file, and the interviewees often ask questions directly from your application. The process was described to us as though each set of interviewees chooses their favorite applicants, and then they all come together and vouch for their favorite applicants and form the acceptance list that way. I'm not sure it's 100% like this, but that's basically how they described to us during our orientation session.

Oh great and knowledgable Alonepear,

I am going to buy a new computer before starting school, and I have seen a thread on the forum about tablet computers. Does Mississippi State have anything, software or hardware, that I should take into consideration before I buy?

Oh great and knowledgable Alonepear

HAHAhahaha :laugh: if only... :rolleyes:

As for the computers, they harped on us to get one of their two affiliated options: a Gateway tablet, or a Dell. They kept emphasizing how we HAD to have the most expensive version of Vista, blah blah blah... it ended up being bull.

A lot of people just brought their older laptops and ITS managed to get everyone on the network and hospital system just fine.

A handful of people purchased tablets, and I think most of them are glad they did. We have a lot of notes distributed electronically, before class, usually in .pdf format (but slide format within that), and they take notes directly onto them without having to print them all out.

On the other hand, once you're a sophomore, a lot of the teachers have become frustrated with people playing online during class, and have forbid computer use (which is unfair, in my opinion, if they "force" us to buy a computer just for school...). So if you get into the habit first year of using it for all your notes, second year you're sort of at a loss in some of the classes.

I'd recommend bringing or purchasing a laptop you're most comfortable with, because you'll be hauling it around and depending on it for the next 4 years. I opted to not get a tablet, only because I know that I'm too easily distracted if I try to study off of my computer =)

My personal recommendation would be to wear a suit. There are always a few people in nice pants/skirts with a nice sweater, but usually it is overwhelmingly suits. I just felt more professional all jazzed up in a suit. You'll get your picture taken, and if you end up going here, that picture will follow you the whole 4 years, so make sure you like your hair and shirt that day =)

OK...got the perfect power suit today!! Mississippi State (interview).....
HERE I COME!!!:luck::xf:

Hey Alonepear, I interview on the 17th and I wonder if you are my mentor? Ha, wouldn't that be strange!! I was wondering what people wear to the pizza party the night before the interviews, and is this just a mingle event or do they attempt to do a undercover mini interview there? Also, it almost seems strange that they would interview 100 more people this year, any rumors as to why? Thank you so much for taking time to help us. I really do appreciate your answers.

There is no dress code for the pizza party, and they encourage you to be casual and comfortable. That being said, of course most people show up looking at least "nice casual".... nice jeans, cute top or sweater, stuff like that (aka no holey jeans or ratty t-shirts). One of the administrators emphasized to us mentors to tell you guys that there is NO pre-judging going on that night -- the pizza party only serves to let you mingle, get to know other interviewees, your mentor, current students and the school itself.

Are you from NY or AR? That's where my mentees are from =)

Alonepear thanks for the info about the pizza party. I was thinking it was like a secret pre interview lol!

When should I start worrying that I haven't heard from my mentor?

hizarlow: I haven't heard from my mentor yet so I wouldn't worry to much.

Yeah, that's kind of annoying....

We were given the mentor list last Friday, and asked to email sometime soon. It sucks that some people have already waited so long :( We got a reminder email yesterday, so perhaps you should hear in the next few days. If you're heading out here and still haven't heard, PM me and I'll get you up to speed :)

There is no dress code for the pizza party, and they encourage you to be casual and comfortable. That being said, of course most people show up looking at least "nice casual".... nice jeans, cute top or sweater, stuff like that (aka no holey jeans or ratty t-shirts). One of the administrators emphasized to us mentors to tell you guys that there is NO pre-judging going on that night -- the pizza party only serves to let you mingle, get to know other interviewees, your mentor, current students and the school itself.

Are you from NY or AR? That's where my mentees are from =)
No, Alonepear I am from AL. Too bad. Hope to see you there!

My mentor is awesome! She contacted me last Friday. She sent me the "practice" interview questions and even told me what time my interview was on the 17th (I'm at 12:40 which is great because I won't have the whole afternoon to get myself worked-up)!

I have a question about the interview at MSU. I know that it is "open-file" does that mean that they can see your GPA as well?

Oh great and knowledgable Alonepear,

We're all going to have to chip in and buy you a gift, Alonepear, for all your help.....:D

I have one more request...if you have time....how about posting on the "Factors when picking a School" for our future alma mater:)xf:) Mississippi State!!

Yay, presents! :hardy:

I'm pretty sure that since the interview is open-file, they'll have access to everything you submitted in your application, including your GPA. I had a rather low GPA (comparatively), and I don't remember them asking why it was low...

And I'll surely post on that topic about Mississippi... although it will have to be tomorrow, b/c I get to spend the rest of the night studying for my monster food animal exam tomorrow :scared:

I know that MSU SUGGESTS purchasing a Gateway M285-E Tablet. I am in the market for a new computer anyway, so if I am accepted I guess this would be a good choice. Does MSU have a contract with Gateway? Something that would allow students to get a discount?

daah dun, dun nu nun dun dun.

Today is the the 11th, Missy said we would know by March. The 27th is the last week day in the month, so we have 16 days, not includig today. Good luck to everyone.

hizarlow: Have you had your interview yet? Mine is on the 19th! If you had let me know how you did and if you haven't good luck... Either way I will keep my fingers crossed for both of us!:xf:

Thank you. I have my fingers, toes, and eyes crossed. I did have my interview on the 10th. I think I did well, but I still second guess every answer I gave.

The overall interview was very stress free. The interviewers were friendly, funny, and nice. Missy Hadaway goes out of her way to make you feel comfortable, and has a memory like a steel trap.

I would recommend going to the pizza party the night before. The tour of the school was great. The school really is impressive.

Good luck to you, and to everyone left to interview. I hope I see you all there in the fall.

I know that MSU SUGGESTS purchasing a Gateway M285-E Tablet. I am in the market for a new computer anyway, so if I am accepted I guess this would be a good choice. Does MSU have a contract with Gateway? Something that would allow students to get a discount?

Two years ago when we were purchasing our laptops for school, MSU had a deal going with both Dell and Gateway to get us a fairly reasonable discount on one of the few models they wanted us to have. They also told us we wouldn't get help from ITS if we brought another type of computer instead.

A fair amount of people in my class have computers that weren't the recommended ones, and everyone has been 100% fine in terms of compatibility and ITS support. As for the Gateway, is it a tablet? Definitely make sure that a tablet is a good choice for you... I feel like people either love it or hate it!

I feel like someone told me recently that Gateway is having financial difficulty/merging with someone/going out of business/something like that? Just be careful you don't get a computer and a warranty from a company that isn't sticking around long... =)

Hizarlow...

How long was the tour? Was their someone to take your purse/bag when you went into the interview?

The only shoes that really look good with my suit are not what I would consider to be my "most comfortable". Do you think it would be weird if I brought another pair of shoes to walk around in for the tour, then changed into my good shoes for the interview?

Does that sound weird???

Hizarlow...

How long was the tour? Was their someone to take your purse/bag when you went into the interview?

The only shoes that really look good with my suit are not what I would consider to be my "most comfortable". Do you think it would be weird if I brought another pair of shoes to walk around in for the tour, then changed into my good shoes for the interview?

Does that sound weird???

The tour was about an hour, but it was the night before during the pizza party. Everyone was business casual, slacks/skirts and shirts, no ties or jackets. I would compare it to Sunday clothes. Be comfortable. We did walk around a little.

The interview was the next day, after the morning orientation. Everyone wore suits to both the orientation, and the interview. Not alot of walking that day, so definitely sacrifice comfort for looks. I left the interview and had to get on the road, so I brought a change of clothes and changed in the bathroom at the school.

I am a guy, so I didn't pay too much attention to where people placed their bags/purses, but there was someone in the waiting room. I don't know if they stayed there the whole time, or if they would be responsible for your bag.

The one thing that I took away from my interview experience was that I worried about it way to much. It was very relaxed, easy going. Just go and enjoy the experience.

Good luck and God bless.

Hizarlow...

Thanks for the response, it was really helpful!! I am glad the tour is at the same time as the pizza party and not the day of the interview. Now I don’t have to worry about the shoes :)

I am extremely excited about my interview on the 17th....I am a graduate student in the CVM at Texas A&M and here they are not very "welcoming" or "inviting" to their DVM applicants. On the other hand, the people in the admissions department at Miss State have treated me with nothing but kindness and respect throughout the application process. I want to go to a school that treats me like an actual person instead of just a tuition payment!

Good luck to all of you...hopefully I will be seeing you in the Fall:xf:

So I have been pretty calm through out this whole process. However last night it finally hit me! OH MY GOD I have an a chance to get in. I feel like I am ready for my interview, however my nerves are finally starting to kick in. I don't interview until Thursday... so keep your fingers crossed for me! Hopefully I will be seeing you all in the fall :D

Quite a few vet students purchase or rent mobile homes (Jenn Lake, mentioned above, is the most popular of these areas), because they are very reasonably priced, and some have areas for you to keep your horses and other animals. I couldn't do this because I'm deathly afraid of tornadoes, which roll through here a few times a year..

Alonepear do you know how available places like JennLake are?
btw I never even thought about tornados...kinda scary!

Yes I am heading out that way Monday as well. My interview is not until Thursday. However I had some vacation days saved up and want to check out the area. Good luck Optimistic 13!

At most 11 more days before we start are applications for the next year.

What is the attire for the pizza party at Mississippi? I always get confused when people say casual dress. Its a pretty loose interpretation.

You only get one first impression. I wore a sport jacket and jeans with nice hard soled shoes to my greeting reception. You're being interviewed by your possible classmates as well. Represent yourself well.

The tour was about an hour, but it was the night before during the pizza party. Everyone was business casual, slacks/skirts and shirts, no ties or jackets. I would compare it to Sunday clothes. Be comfortable. We did walk around a little.

From an earlier post

I'm trying to be realistic about when the e-mails/phone calls will come. the last OOS interview day was thursday, so by the time they go through everybody and pick acceptances I guess it'll be the middle of next week at the earliest? man im not cut out for the waiting business, hope everyone is able to function somewhat!