Mississippi

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yeah, how do you start that? Do you just call the Dr.'s office and tell them you need to get vaccinated? I rarely ever go to the Dr., so I have no idea.

Members don't see this ad.

I didn't even think of that.

I had only 2/3 (I think) of my rabies vaccines before a trip to S. America, and I ended up staying there for a few extra months - Never finished the series. I wonder if I should get my titers checked or just restart the series?

Also wonder how expensive getting my titers will be vs. just redoing the series anyway.

Erghh, that and I need to go to the dentist.

I called my doctor today, he said that insurance DOES NOT cover the 3 vaccinations and they are 235.00 EACH!

Geez now I have to come up with a 500.00 deposit, 705.00 for rabies shots and the money for a new computer (mine probably won’t cut it). No wonder vet students are poor :eek:

Oh well, it will all be worth it in the end.

No Imagination – I would definitely get your titer check before getting your last dose. You might not need that last dose and then you could save a little money. Hopefully insurance will cover the titer check.

Members don't see this ad :)
No Imagination – I would definitely get your titer check before getting your last dose. You might not need that last dose and then you could save a little money. Hopefully insurance will cover the titer check.

Not covered - either is checking the titers :-(

Hmm, I work in a lab - What goes into a titer check anyway? WB or ELISA?

j/k - i'll get it done when im in NYC - Maybe get myself bitten by a coon or something, let the DoH pick up the tab.

ELISA would work well, just do a titration and see where your titers are at :laugh:

ELISA would work well, just do a titration and see where your titers are at :laugh:

I thought of that, if for no other reason then ****s and giggles, but I would need the rabies antigen. I am assuming that would be BSL-3. Miss doesn't have a BSL-3

That and I don't have time for that - would be fun though.

Oh the fun of rabies vaccination! I had mine done at the local health department, I think they were $160 a dose (x3). Last year because of the vaccine shortage, they didn't require it to be done before starting school... in fact, they offered the vaccine sometime during the year for the first-years, and it cost them far less (so unfair!) I'm not sure if that's something they were planning on offering again though, since the vaccine shortage is supposed to be coming to an end...

Also make sure you get them the records of your old vaccinations - MMR and whatever the other required one is.. tetanus maybe? They were grumpy about people starting school without those records on file.

Does anyone know if an "MSU-CVM class of 2013" facebook group has been started? If not, I would like to start one. I am so excited about vet school that I have turned into a total dork:love:

Hi, I am pretty new to this forum but I have been a stalker for a while! I got accepted to MSU and I am so excited! I really just fell in love with the school! :biglove: Anyway I was just wondering if anybody knew of any good websites to look for housing? I would really like to buy a house (for cheap) and have roomies. What is a reasonable price for a house close to the vet school?

Does anyone know if an "MSU-CVM class of 2013" facebook group has been started? If not, I would like to start one. I am so excited about vet school that I have turned into a total dork:love:

I honestly have heard of facebook but have never been there. Tell me if you create one, and how I can find it.

Technotarted

Start it up TSU, or I will :) Invite me! Ill PM you my information

EDIT: Actually, TSU, I'm going to hold off on that one. I am sure we will be getting all sorts of lectures about being professional's, and FB and Myspace are major players in that. We will probably be told to privatize all that stuff, also will have to remove pictures of you with Alcohol, hookers, kicking puppies... things we all probably removed 4 years ago, but still. The professional schools are about 2-3 years behind on this one.

So, i'd be happy to friend ya, but gonna stay out of the group for now :)

Last edited:
Damn, you mean I am going to have to take my puppy-kicking picture down? That one is my favorite! :laugh:

Hizarlow....REALLY?? Never been to facebook? Ok well my first piece of advise is DON'T get an account!! Facebook is like crack...seriously!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
thought I would give a bump.

I sent in my seat confirmation today, and will be emailing my waitlist schools soon.

When is anyone heading to Starkville?

Actually I will defending my thesis in the middle of July so moving to Starkville is going to be pretty stressful because of the time crunch. I probably won’t get there until about a week before school starts! I think classes start sometime in the early part of August (hopefully not the first week in August eek)! I was hoping to get a short break in between my masters and my DVM, maybe a month or so to visit family and relax but that doesn't look like it is going to happen….I guess I will have to wait until Christmas :laugh:!

Sometime in May I plan on taking a weekend trip to Starkville with the intention of finding a house..Maybe? I really want something out in the country but that may be hard to find. I know that once we our "officially" enrolled then we will have access to the student message boards where people list rentals and stuff. My mentor has been really helpful too, she has been talking to some of the current vet students and trying to find something for me that will be available this summer.

Hey guys, CONGRATULATIONS to all who have gotten in. We do have until April to confirm our acceptances, right? My instate school does not interview until mid March, and I am still trying to decide. I loved MSU and I would love to go there, but financially I have to weigh everything out. Just wondering!

Yeah. No school can require confirmation before the 15th of April.

Does anyone know approximately when we start? Maybe Alonepear can give us an idea based on last year.

Hizarlow, you are a MS resident right? When do you plan on getting heading to Starkville?

Not sure of exact date. Mid-early August I believe. Was told by the school that they would contact those who accepted the invitation in May/June via email to update us on supplies, needs, dates, ect.

Not sure when we have to get started on Financial Aid - gonna ask after 4/15 when they are more relaxed, im sure they are busy.

I am in state on the coast. I am finishing up a class at USM (biochem) and then will head up. I hope to be there before June.

Yeah, I know they are busy, but I am so anxious. I wish they would give us a list of stuff we need to do before school. Like vaccines, health insurance, computers and whatever else I don't know about yet.

Speaking with one of the doctors I work with, she says that MSU gave her her rabbies vaccines. She still had to pay for them, but they were much cheaper and easy to get.

I am still so excited though.

Does anyone know approximately when we start? Maybe Alonepear can give us an idea based on last year.

We almost always start our semester the week before the rest of the university. According to the academic calendar posted on the MSU website, the university starts classes on August 17, which means most likely the vet school will start classes on August 10. Also, first years will need to be in town for the Thursday and Friday before classes start (so August 6 & 7) for your Coating Ceremony and COPE Course. Usually the first day or two of classes is pretty much orientation/introductory stuff. No guarantees these are going to be the dates, but based on the past two years, they are definitely my best guess!!

Rabies vaccines for our class HAD to be done prior to starting school. The freshmen this year encountered the vaccine shortage, and they received theirs through the school. I honestly have no idea if the school will offer them next year for you guys (you'd be lucky if they do!)

They'll usually send computer specs that your laptop needs to meet, but honestly any old laptop will probably do just fine. They usually recommend a model or two that they have a deal lined up on.

Health insurance is basically whatever you choose. The vet school doesn't offer it's own, but MSU offers a very basic, simple student health insurance plan if you want it. Here is a brief overview: http://www.health.msstate.edu/general/insurance.php . My boyfriend has this plan, and it's bare-bones... just enough to cover you if something happens, etc, but I think it's only like $900 a year. I have the AVMA's health insurance plan (GHLIT), and I don't really like it all that much, but it's cheaper than having stayed on my old insurance from back home.

For financial aid, just make sure you get around to filling out your FAFSA after you have all your tax info and such. I made the mistake of filling mine out before I had decided on schools (because one state had a really early deadline), and I ended up somehow getting financial aid approval for TWO schools instead of just here, and they were trying to loan me an entire extra tuition payment! It was a mess :eek:

Thanks!!! You are always so helpful :)

Did you have to show proof of other vaccinations i.e. Measles/Mumps/Rubella?

Last edited:

Yep! Took my Mom a few days to rummage through my old records to find those for me :rolleyes:

Thanks!!! You are always so helpful :)

Just get them from your current school - they must have them on file, you needed them to enroll in the first place

I didn't need proof of vaccination for grad school (I remember asking and they said they didn't need them!)

Guess I will be doing some rummaging too! Thanks alonepear!

Update: I called my undergrad school and they were more than happy to send them to me!

Last edited:
They probably won't move the waitlist until after April 15th, but don't quote me on this. I think Missy mentioned it during the orientation but I was so nervous that I didn't catch what she said.

haha yea i know...but im so impatient! this is going to be a loooong month

I know it is easier said then done but try not to stress out! I bet you will get a call shortly after the 15th!