Missouri c/o 2019 Applicants

Started by Sprngstl
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I was under the impression that all schools had to give you a decision before April 15... But I received an email stating that my application is on hold until then, after which I will either be accepted or waitlisted. I'm freaking out because I have to give K-State my decision by April 15, and Mizzou is my in-state school and my top choice. What do I do?!?
This happened last year as well, where some ISers were put "on hold," until April 15th just in case they overaccepted too many OOSers (It almost always works out 50-50 OOS/IS like it's supposed to, they just do this for precaution). This doesn't mean you are waitlisted necessarily, it just means that they aren't giving out a certain amount of IS acceptances until after April 15th.

What I would do personally is put the deposit down for Kansas just in case, and wait and see what Mizzou tells you after April 15th. If it's an acceptance, you can then decline Kansas and then put down the deposit for Mizzou. You will be potentially losing deposit money for Kansas, but it is better than not paying a deposit and then somehow not getting accepted to Mizzou.

I know the wait is torture, but keep your head up, it's only a few more weeks! 🙂
 
I was under the impression that all schools had to give you a decision before April 15... But I received an email stating that my application is on hold until then, after which I will either be accepted or waitlisted. I'm freaking out because I have to give K-State my decision by April 15, and Mizzou is my in-state school and my top choice. What do I do?!?

Let me first say that I don't agree with this practice. Because it forces you to put a deposit down at Kansas in order to not lose your seat. Which = Lost money and we all know Vet school is Not cheap. Based on the PDF of the April 15th deadline, it doesn't really put any standards on the school except that the schools cannot force anyone to make a decision until the deadline. It doesn't say anything about - schools must notify the applicants of their position by the deadline.. So maybe that is a loop hole for schools to do this kinda thing? I am sorry your having to deal with this and I would be very upset if I were in your shoes. Maybe @LetItSnow or @dyachei have some input?

http://www.aavmc.org/data/files/vmcas/policies/acceptance.pdf
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
looks like they just waitlisted adopt but very high up on the waitlist. It's a shame they don't call it that. If you are at all concerned, I would contact the AAVMC though.

I knew I could count on you 😉 @dyachei for the win
 
Just sent in all my acceptance forms today.... oh man, it's finally becoming real! :lame:

oh and I'm not on facebook, so hopefully finding a cool roomie/place to live won't be impossible haha
 
Just sent in all my acceptance forms today.... oh man, it's finally becoming real! :lame:

oh and I'm not on facebook, so hopefully finding a cool roomie/place to live won't be impossible haha

It might be worth getting a facebook just to join your class page. It's been so helpful!
 
Whoa, just got my acceptance envelope in the mail today and it states the Admission Form must be received by the Office of Academic Affairs before April 1, 2015. Serious?? Tomorrow's the 31st it won't make it by mail I bet and I'm an hour away from Columbia... I guess I could justify skipping class to ensure my future...
 
Whoa, just got my acceptance envelope in the mail today and it states the Admission Form must be received by the Office of Academic Affairs before April 1, 2015. Serious?? Tomorrow's the 31st it won't make it by mail I bet and I'm an hour away from Columbia... I guess I could justify skipping class to ensure my future...
If you are worried, just email Kathy and tell her your situation, she's very helpful and it sounds like you aren't the only one who is probably in this predicament.

Also, I just realized that I believe it should say April 15th for the national deadline instead of April 1st? At least that's what my letter said last year? Anyways, shoot an email and ask, hopefully it was just a typo on their end.
 
It's unclear whether I'd be able to go see apartments this summer since I live pretty far away. Can any current students or those familiar with the area attest to the safety of the neighborhood around Rock Bridge HS/Cosmo-Bethel Park and Rock Quarry Park? I'm trying to decide about housing.
 
It's unclear whether I'd be able to go see apartments this summer since I live pretty far away. Can any current students or those familiar with the area attest to the safety of the neighborhood around Rock Bridge HS/Cosmo-Bethel Park and Rock Quarry Park? I'm trying to decide about housing.
For the most part, the south end of town around Rock Bridge High and Cosmo-Bethel park is really nice, clean/safe/etc. But there are some slummy pockets, particularly on Apple Tree Ct. Most of that housing is owned by Don Fries and it was a mess living there - our neighbors stole our mail, we had a cockroach infestation, our doors didn't lock properly, and management downright sucked. What apartments were you looking at in particular? I'm a big fan of Katy Place, but they often have a waitlist for move-ins, and they don't allow large dogs.
 
For the most part, the south end of town around Rock Bridge High and Cosmo-Bethel park is really nice, clean/safe/etc. But there are some slummy pockets, particularly on Apple Tree Ct. Most of that housing is owned by Don Fries and it was a mess living there - our neighbors stole our mail, we had a cockroach infestation, our doors didn't lock properly, and management downright sucked. What apartments were you looking at in particular? I'm a big fan of Katy Place, but they often have a waitlist for move-ins, and they don't allow large dogs.

Thanks! I'm actually looking at a townhouse on Village Park Drive. It's under KPO Properties.
 
Thanks! I'm actually looking at a townhouse on Village Park Drive. It's under KPO Properties.
Oh I see - that's a ways from the High School. But yes, that's a nice area of town. And if you take Rock Quarry rd. south from that neighborhood, there's some great hiking at Gans Creek Conservation area and Rock Bridge State Park.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I declined my OOS acceptance today - a tough decision because I loved Mizzou, but my husband's job prospects in Columbia were pretty dismal. Anyway, I hope my seat goes to someone here who is on the alternate list! [emoji4]
 
I declined my OOS acceptance today - a tough decision because I loved Mizzou, but my husband's job prospects in Columbia were pretty dismal. Anyway, I hope my seat goes to someone here who is on the alternate list! [emoji4]

I am a sad panda. But you will be a great vet wherever you decide to go. Keep in touch!
 
This makes me sad 🙁. Do you know where your final decision is yet??
Thanks, STL and @Rainheart! I've narrowed it down to either Tufts or Wisconsin, although I'm #33 on the OOS alternate list for Wisconsin so I may not end up having a choice between the two after all. But wherever I end up I'll be on facebook and SDN so we can all stay in touch! [emoji75]
 
Thanks, STL and @Rainheart! I've narrowed it down to either Tufts or Wisconsin, although I'm #33 on the OOS alternate list for Wisconsin so I may not end up having a choice between the two after all. But wherever I end up I'll be on facebook and SDN so we can all stay in touch! [emoji75]
I have a feeling you will get your choice once it's all said and done, but I guess we shall see!
 
I was under the impression that all schools had to give you a decision before April 15... But I received an email stating that my application is on hold until then, after which I will either be accepted or waitlisted. I'm freaking out because I have to give K-State my decision by April 15, and Mizzou is my in-state school and my top choice. What do I do?!?
I was on the "hold" list last year. Pretty sure I got my acceptance packet on the 16th or 17th.
 
One of the forms in my acceptance packet mentioned that we can get our rabies vaccine from the Student Health Center during our first year. How much does it cost to have it done this way? Does the Student Health Center accept most insurance?
 
One of the forms in my acceptance packet mentioned that we can get our rabies vaccine from the Student Health Center during our first year. How much does it cost to have it done this way? Does the Student Health Center accept most insurance?

They have nurses come from student health and give them to us at the school. It is super convenient and I didn't find any place cheaper. It was around $800 for us. They do accept insurance, but mine did not cover the vaccine :/
 
Hi all, anyone planning to attend the Open House this Saturday? Looking forward to meeting future and current students!
 
Hi all, anyone planning to attend the Open House this Saturday? Looking forward to meeting future and current students!

I am one of 4 people on the open house quad chair (aka- planning committee) so I will be there all day long! You can find me walking around with a walkee talkee or zooming around on a gator 🙂 it's going to be an awesome event, just praying it's a beautiful day!!!
 
I was placed on the "hold" list. Does anyone know how common it is to get accepted off this list and how quickly?
Theoretically, if they put the same amount of people on hold as the amount of acceptances they still have to give out, most should be accepted off the list. (Out of the 60 "spots" for ISers, they only gave out let's say an estimate of 40 or so acceptances before April 15th. So theoretically, they put 20 or so ISers "on hold" until after April 15th). However, I'm not sure how many is on "hold," versus true waitlist, so it's hard to say. Those who get accepted should find out after April 15th (either via email or snail mail for ISers).
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi guys, I just had a quick question -- I'm still on the wait list for Mizzou, and I just talked to Kathy and she said the class is already full with no withdrawals in sight. Is that pretty quick for them to stop offering spots to waitlisters? Seems like people were still getting offers around this time last year. Thanks! I really liked Mizzou and I am excited for you all to start! 🙂
 
Hi guys, I just had a quick question -- I'm still on the wait list for Mizzou, and I just talked to Kathy and she said the class is already full with no withdrawals in sight. Is that pretty quick for them to stop offering spots to waitlisters? Seems like people were still getting offers around this time last year. Thanks! I really liked Mizzou and I am excited for you all to start! 🙂
It all depends on the year, and the specific class. Even though the class is full now, there could be some that get accepted at another school during the summer, so it's hard to guess if there will be any more movement or not.
 
I made a post about this already but I'd also like to hear from students who interviewed last year:

So I have an interview at Mizzou on the 9th of January. I have begun preparing for my interview by reviewing questions in the "Interview Feedback" section. One question was "Why is your GPA so high and your GRE so low?"

My GPA is average and my GRE are LOW. I took an in-class Kaplan Course and still did not succeed. (From May-June/July). It could be because I barely had time to study as I was doing two internships, working 20 hours and volunteering at a farm from April-August. Prior to the internships and volunteering I had only small animal experience. I was honestly not aware that just having small animal experience wasn't enough or good enough (atleast when I spoke to the Admissions counselor from Tufts Fall 2014). After that talk, I immediately went searching to recruit more diverse experience.

So my question is, if I were to be asked the question above (Why are your GRE so low?), how do you think I should reply? I am not looking for an exact answer to memorize and blur out in the interview. I am looking for tips and advice on how I could go about answering this question in a way where I can justify why they are so low but will not hurt my chances in getting accepted?

Thank you!!!
 
i just had an interview for the class of 2020, and I felt like overall it went well, but I was asked a few specific questions about equine facts, such as the common vaccines for horses and the coggins test, and I had to say that I didn't know! I know the common vaccines for dogs and cats like the back of my hand, but for some reason I forgot to check what they were for horses. If the rest of the interview went well besides saying "I don't know" for those, do you think that's a make or break thing for an interview? Maybe if a few applicants from previous years who went through similar experience in interviews and still were accepted... thanks!
 
i just had an interview for the class of 2020, and I felt like overall it went well, but I was asked a few specific questions about equine facts, such as the common vaccines for horses and the coggins test, and I had to say that I didn't know! I know the common vaccines for dogs and cats like the back of my hand, but for some reason I forgot to check what they were for horses. If the rest of the interview went well besides saying "I don't know" for those, do you think that's a make or break thing for an interview? Maybe if a few applicants from previous years who went through similar experience in interviews and still were accepted... thanks!
Did you have any equine experience in your application? Most questions like that are application specific so I'm wondering if they asked you that due to having equine hours or just asked it (which I haven't heard them doing but it's possible!)

Also, have you checked out the 2020 thread? If you had further questions you could ask there if you wanted 🙂.

One thing to keep in mind is that the interview is only a very small part (I think around 20% though I could be wrong), of your overall score. There's still 80% of your application left!

That, and saying "I don't know," isn't a bad thing at all. They don't expect you to know that information right on top of your head, they just want to gauge how you would react. If it helps, I thought I completely bombed (like "100% failed and bawling right afterwards" bombed) an interview, and somehow still got accepted. So don't let your "I don't know" ruin your day or week, because it could turn out better than you thought 🙂.
 
i just had an interview for the class of 2020, and I felt like overall it went well, but I was asked a few specific questions about equine facts, such as the common vaccines for horses and the coggins test, and I had to say that I didn't know! I know the common vaccines for dogs and cats like the back of my hand, but for some reason I forgot to check what they were for horses. If the rest of the interview went well besides saying "I don't know" for those, do you think that's a make or break thing for an interview? Maybe if a few applicants from previous years who went through similar experience in interviews and still were accepted... thanks!

I was in an Ag quiz bowl a few months and was asked the same question. I have several Equine vet hours and have owned a horse for 3 years, but I completely blanked! I totally knew the answer but it disappeared at the last minute! Most embarrassing moment ever, but the world kept turning and I pray I don't make the same mistake again! Point being, I've been there and done that too! It seems like intense, stressful moments always cause us to blank with specific questions like that. It does to me anyway! :bang: