Mistake -customer complained to board of pharmacy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jmail

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
i made a mistake ( typed and verified half of a tablet on clonazepam 0.5 mg...and it should of been typed as 0.5mg, so as a result pt was taking 0.25 mg of clonazepam )
Pt complained to board of pharmacy ...
Now they want me to give them an explanation ...
What is the best way to do it?

Members don't see this ad.

If you work for a chain please get in touch with your company's compliance dept first...

Reactions: 6 users
Talk to a lawyer before you say anything. You will not loose your license over this but you could be reprimanded and/or fined.

Members don't see this ad :)
If he worked for a chain, he wouldn't be on here asking for advice.
You're probably right. What surprises are me the most is that the board is actually investigating it promptly. Usually, it may be 6 to 12 months before they follow up on a complaint

i made a mistake ( typed and verified half of a tablet on clonazepam 0.5 mg...and it should of been typed as 0.5mg, so as a result pt was taking 0.25 mg of clonazepam )

They're going to want to know why it happened and what steps you're taking to prevent another error.

Reactions: 1 users
I do work for the chain...
But even if I call compliance department, the job of compliance department to protect the chain... my job is to protect my license...that’s why I am asking here as well...
Have U guys had any situations with mistakes that were reported to board of pharmacy? Or may be any of your friends or coworkers had who may share their experiences ?

They're going to want to know why it happened and what steps you're taking to prevent another error.
So as far as why it happened, should I say that I am the only rph on duty and we r doing 250 Rxs per day so slip up happened ?
Or should I just say sorry, my fault ...

So as far as why it happened, should I say that I am the only rph on duty and we r doing 250 Rxs per day so slip up happened ?

Lol?

Buddy, you made the mistake twice (typing + verifying).

Lol?

That’s when people make the most mistakes, when they type and verify their own rxs...
Anyway, what would u say if that happened to u?

Reactions: 1 user
I do not care how good someone is at typing without looking at the keyboard (myself included)...ALWAYS give a final review of a script during data entry before submitting....this is coming from someone who very frequently has to do his own data entry (overnight).

Do not be overconfident to just blindly verify your own data entry inputs; we all make mistakes

I would suggest that you re-evaluate whatever system of checks & balances you go over for the future during verification.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Lol.

Why were you typing?
Do you not have techs?

Members don't see this ad :)

I live in California. Never had to deal with this type of situation. But, errors happen like this ALL the time. Sounds like a formality to get your side of the story to ensure that an error ACTUALLY HAPPENED and not some customer making stuff up. BOP may want to know if an incident report was filed, if prescriber was not contacted (only if required per state BOP requirements), and what is done to prevent errors. I wouldn't say 250 rx were filled and i got sloppy. Believe it or not that's not a valid excuse for anything. BOP doesn't have any laws to restrict rx per RPH.

The first thing to do is to clam up. Get a sheet of paper ...date and time it...RECORD everything that happened as accurately as possible and stand by until you talk to the peeps at whichever company you get your pharmacist liability coverage from.....THEY do not want you to start yapping yourself (and them)into a pay out .....then follow their advice...chains don't want to pay out either ...and this is a nickle dime complaint....remember the BOP is NOT your friend...but they are pretty much in the pocket of the big chains...

Mistakes happen, you can state whatever reason the mistake occurred but unless you can point to a particular systemic flaw, it really does not matter that much. I would probably say something along the lines of, "I misinterpreted the prescriber's directions as takeing 0.5 of a tablet, not 0.5 of a mg and mostly leave the explanation at that. What is more important is the followup, document your conversation with the prescriber and the patient, was there any harm reported (such as did the patient claim to have a seizure?) and what future steps you will take to help prevent this type of error from reoccurring.

By the way, in the part of your response that explains what you will do in the future to help prevent this type of error is where you could talk about considering addressing staffing levels, scripts per hour, etc but probably do not include this in your initial explanation. Corporate legal department will likely want to review your response before you submit it and will likely reword it for you (of course to remove any liability from themselves), I suggest you read it and consider their phrasing but realize that you are not bound to accept it.

Last edited:
This sounds like a sloppy prescriber and the prescribers fault.

Well for one don't lie or try to make excuses like "it was busy, phones ringing off the hook, 4 flu shots..." because that will reflect negatively on you and the board may think you're consenting to practice in a dangerous environment. I know where I trained in TN part of the law is if you deem the environment dangerous you need to either close up or do what you need to to make it safe because they can hold you liable for that (but on the flip side you can close down and demand more help and your employer can terminate you if they want). Be open and honest as to why the mistake happened and what you will do to prevent it. If there was no patient harm that's likely what the board will want. Not a bad idea to have corporate guide you or at least review things too. Most companies have compliance divisions that deal with these things.

Be honest, and if possible always show how you have the patient's best interest in mind. Have an action plan to present as to how you will prevent this from happening in the future. But whatever it is, do not lie and do not blame corporate. You could get A. Reprimanded by the board or B. Fired.

In reality every pharmacist has mad some type of minor missfill, and 99% are just corrected and never go beyond that. However, though, I'm not surprised someone went to the board over getting shorted their clonazepam.

This actually happened to me when I was a new grad. It was something extremely stupid that got reported, but it was a “mistake” nonetheless. Being a new grad and not having a lot of experience, I was scared ****less. But it turned out ok. It’s really not that big of a deal. Just say something along the line of how you misinterpreted MD’s direction. And then for corrective actions, say something like how you will call MD for verification for anything you are not 100% on... also say something about improving workflow and how you will train your techs and yourself to prevent this from happening again.

Contact your DM if you haven’t already. Your DM will send your response to the legal department and then once you get the ok, you can send it to the board. They may also just send it for you.

The person from the board that was investigating my case kept reassuring me that I’ll be fine and it’s not that big of a deal lol you definitely don’t need a lawyer like what that other poster suggested... that’s such an overkill.

This sounds like a sloppy prescriber and the prescribers fault.

Looking at the way this guy constructs his post I highly doubt it has anything to do with the prescriber. OP, when you communicate with the board in writing, have someone else do the writing for you.

This actually happened to me when I was a new grad. It was something extremely stupid that got reported, but it was a “mistake” nonetheless. Being a new grad and not having a lot of experience, I was scared ****less. But it turned out ok. It’s really not that big of a deal. Just say something along the line of how you misinterpreted MD’s direction. And then for corrective actions, say something like how you will call MD for verification for anything you are not 100% on... also say something about improving workflow and how you will train your techs and yourself to prevent this from happening again.

Contact your DM if you haven’t already. Your DM will send your response to the legal department and then once you get the ok, you can send it to the board. They may also just send it for you.

The person from the board that was investigating my case kept reassuring me that I’ll be fine and it’s not that big of a deal lol you definitely don’t need a lawyer like what that other poster suggested... that’s such an overkill.

This. It's not like the DEA is after you here OP.

Thank you guys!
Mistake was few months ago.
Dont remember much. Will try to be honest as much as possible.

Thank you so much for sharing! I am sooooo grateful to you! I was freaking out! Its so nice to know that it turned out ok for you. It gives me hope.

Looking at the way this guy constructs his post I highly doubt it has anything to do with the prescriber. OP, when you communicate with the board in writing, have someone else do the writing for you.

This. It's not like the DEA is after you here OP.
I for sure will contact my DM and ask him to contact the legal department. Also, I just remembered that when the mistake happened I had my own liability insurance. Will call them tomorrow!
Thank you guys so,so,so much to all of you for all your help!

Lol?

We love hating on each other. I am starting to really believe that pharnacists are some of the best haters out there. Back to the point, we all make mistakes although some of us never would admit it. And although corporate staffing is fair to blame the we hate pharmacists board of pharnacy don’t want to hear that sh.t . Gotta stick to some generic imporovement answer. I wouldn’t lose no sleep on this error

We love hating on each other. I am starting to really believe that pharnacists are some of the best haters out there. Back to the point, we all make mistakes although some of us never would admit it. And although corporate staffing is fair to blame the we hate pharmacists board of pharnacy don’t want to hear that sh.t . Gotta stick to some generic imporovement answer. I wouldn’t lose no sleep on this error

What I love more is walking into my shift with over 30 scripts queued because the other pharmacist is a lazy incompetent eye-sore.

A great thing about hospital practice is that your little mistakes are all handled internally. I felt ridiculous having to write a statement for our med safety person explaining why I dispensed a chewable multivitamin rather than the regular tablet, then explaining how I planned to correct the error in my process. Imagine having to go in front of the state board for that.

A great thing about hospital practice is that your little mistakes are all handled internally. I felt ridiculous having to write a statement for our med safety person explaining why I dispensed a chewable multivitamin rather than the regular tablet, then explaining how I planned to correct the error in my process. Imagine having to go in front of the state board for that.

Your med safety person sounds like a clown.

What kind of assclown reported you for chewable MVI vs regular tablet?

Reactions: 2 users
That would be Nurse Lifesaver. We had a real culture of nursing writing up pharmacy for every little thing, and pharmacy smiling and taking their abuse. I think the nurses would be randomly entered into a drawing to be featured as our quarterly hero whenever they wrote up a safety issue.

One of the more ridiculius write-ups occurred when a nurse thought a patient's treatment was inappropriate and dangerous. I can't remember exactly what it was, but it was nothing insane. Just not what they typically did in that unit. Anyway, the nurse wrote up the pharmacist who had extensive documentation on their conversation with the physician, the rationale behind why they decided on the that course of therapy, and had journal articles and other clinical resources supporting it. The med safety officer still required the pharmacist to fill out some incident report to be kept in their permanent file.

I loved most of my nurses, but a few of them really overestimated their clinical knowledge. I could never find a nice way to tell them they are in over their heads and should let the professionals handle medication issues.

The kind that wants to prove they are doing something, ie honing in on ridiculous errors to make it seem like they are really looking at everything in extreme detail.

Thank you guys!
Mistake was few months ago.
Dont remember much. Will try to be honest as much as possible.

Thank you so much for sharing! I am sooooo grateful to you! I was freaking out! Its so nice to know that it turned out ok for you. It gives me hope.

“Will try to be honest as much as possible?” I am not sure what that means. You are either honest or not.
State the facts. Make sure that you outline in great detail the workflow at your pharmacy. Go to your intranet, find the pharmacy operations manual and print out the procedures for input, input verification, visual verification. Highlight the fact that you end up having to do all 3 because of the way you are staffed.
If they fire you, you can go after them for retaliation. Whether others agree or not, you can.
The company failed to provide you with technicians to type prescriptions for you.
Sure, you read it wrong, entered it wrong and then verified it wrong. And at that point you probably didn’t even look at the prescription again because you had already looked at it.
So yes, you made the mistake BUT the company you work for is setting you up for those mistakes to happen.
It’s not only a matter of having help but good and efficient help.

Just saying, it’s not all on you. All you are admitting to is that you entered it wrong and did not catch the mistake at input verification or visual verification.
That really is all you have to admit to. Facts. No more than that. Let them ask you questions. Think before you speak. Answer the questions in short sentences. Make them ask you more questions.

That’s my best advice to you.

We had a real culture of nursing writing up pharmacy for every little thing, and pharmacy smiling and taking their abuse.

Seems like I read stuff like this all the time on this forum, how come you guys never stand up for yourselves? Esp with that other example you gave about being reported after extensive documentation... can you imagine if a nurse reported the physician on that or even reported a physician about the multi-vitamin thing? for god sakes people lol stand up for yourselves!

Actually is there anyone who can give an example of how he/she actually stood up to a nurse? lol seems like I only read about how nurses are abusing pharmacists on this forum lol

I’ve made that mistake before when doctors write something like: 0.5mg tablet daily, but I must have made it as an intern and I wasn’t working alone.

I almost made a serious mistake once working alone. While waiting for the patient to sign at the register, for some reason I decided to open the bag and have another look at the Vicodin. I was shocked to see Cipro pills in the bottle.

I learned to keep my space clean and only have one medication at a time on the he counter. As for typing and filling and checking, a pharmacist once told me and I agree, when u work alone triple check your work. Make sure to verify it at Q.V. on the screen, everything just like you would some one else’s and never ever let anyone rush you. They need it in a second, then maybe they need to take the script elsewhere.

Seems like I read stuff like this all the time on this forum, how come you guys never stand up for yourselves? Esp with that other example you gave about being reported after extensive documentation... can you imagine if a nurse reported the physician on that or even reported a physician about the multi-vitamin thing? for god sakes people lol stand up for yourselves!

Actually is there anyone who can give an example of how he/she actually stood up to a nurse? lol seems like I only read about how nurses are abusing pharmacists on this forum lol

It's all up to your leadership. We once had a staff meeting to explain a new policy for our department and were told we absolutely must follow this policy, do not make exceptions, and let us know if you get any push back so we can reeducate the necessary people.

I received a call one evening asking me to do the thing we were told not to do, I stood firm and said no, explained what they should do instead.

The next day I was reprimanded, the policy was changed, and I was given a very insulting lecture on how to take a telephone order as if I were a pharmacy student.

Looking back, it's hard to pinpoint exactly when they broke my spirit. It was probably a culmination of little things like these that made me just stop caring because nothing you did was ever good enough.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
I just had a complaint filed against me for not filling a narcotic.

1. To the pharmacists who don’t support other pharmacists and laugh and joke and say negative things, you’re time will come.

2. You have nothing to worry about. The chain will ask you to write what happened. You send your response in, they fix grammatical errors and fix it up and might ask you to delete certain things. I wouldn’t and didn’t go against their suggestions. They send the final back to you, you sign it and send it back.

3. You then get a letter in the mail saying that you can attend the board meeting if you want to, or you must. I’ve been to more than one board meeting in more than one state. Some states go through the cases early on and get those out of the way so pharmacists with complaints don’t have to stay till 3pm. Others have them after lunch. They are also different in that some ask the pharmacists one or two questions and others don’t ask at all, they just have all the members going over the complaints at their table and saying whether or not they suggest:
1. Dismissing the complaint
2. Written warning formal or informal, something like that
3. Counsel
Etc.

Even if you don’t have to go in, go. And dress in a suit-appearance does matter. If you’re worried or you want to see what it’s like to attend a board meeting ahead of yours. Watch as they let technicians get their licenses after explaining weather or not they are still on meth or that they won’t drink and drive any more or that they didn’t know that the weed clinic they worked for was illegal.

4. Your response to the board should be something simple like you were working alone.... in the future you should, some other pharmacist above gave a good idea, something like that.

5. In the future, and I do this, if you’re working alone tell the customer:
A. Your busy, it won’t be ready till tomorrow.
B. You don’t have it?
There are some advantages to working alone. Talk to other pharmacists.
C. To safely dispense this medication it won’t be ready till...
D. Flu shot? I can’t give that right now, it’s too busy? My vaccine license isn’t uptodate?

6. You’ll be fine.

Oh, and in case your wondering. Depending on the state. You have to look at your States complaint form. It might say, did the pharmacist call the doctor. So in denying fills of narcotics I now no why it’s easier to say you don’t have it than to do what the chain tells you to do and say you don’t feel comfortable. In my case I told the customer why I didn’t feel comfortable filling it. And turns out, I’m not required to fill it.

If you say you don’t have it there’s no argument. If you say you don’t feel comfortable you can be scrutinized, like, did you call the doctor? Etc. In my case I did call the doctor, there was no answer, and during a busy day, how often am I required to call?

In the board meeting they warned a pharmacist (by mail)for not filling I think it was acetylcystine for a dog. I guess cause the pharmacist felt it wasn’t appropriate, but as a board member stated, all of the meds for pets are experimental because there are no real studies. I see patients ask pharms to council on pet meds. I always learned that as an intern that we pharmacists studied medications in humans and are not required to council on that. That would be a question for their veterinarian.

Oh, and in case your wondering. Depending on the state. You have to look at your States complaint form. It might say, did the pharmacist call the doctor. So in denying fills of narcotics I now no why it’s easier to say you don’t have it than to do what the chain tells you to do and say you don’t feel comfortable. In my case I told the customer why I didn’t feel comfortable filling it. And turns out, I’m not required to fill it.

If you say you don’t have it there’s no argument. If you say you don’t feel comfortable you can be scrutinized, like, did you call the doctor? Etc. In my case I did call the doctor, there was no answer, and during a busy day, how often am I required to call?

In the board meeting they warned a pharmacist (by mail)for not filling I think it was acetylcystine for a dog. I guess cause the pharmacist felt it wasn’t appropriate, but as a board member stated, all of the meds for pets are experimental because there are no real studies. I see patients ask pharms to council on pet meds. I always learned that as an intern that we pharmacists studied medications in humans and are not required to council on that. That would be a question for their veterinarian.

I received a call one evening asking me to do the thing we were told not to do, I stood firm and said no, explained what they should do instead.

The next day I was reprimanded, the policy was change, and I was given a very insulting lecture on how to take a telephone order as if I were a pharmacy student.

Looking back, it's hard to pinpoint exactly when they broke my spirit. It was probably a culmination of little things like these that made me just stop caring because nothing you did was ever good enough.

I relate to this so hard. I can think of so many instances of similar things happening to me. The worst I can recall off the top of my head was when I tried to manage a technician who was chit-chating on the clock and not being productive at all. I told her to focus on her work. She broke down and cried on the spot. I wasn't even mean or insulting, literally all I did was ask her to focus on getting our STATs done. When she complained to management about what I did, I was asked for my side of the story. I was totally thrown under the bus and in no way was the tech told "owlegrad was right to tell you to get back to work, you can chat on your lunch break".

It doesn't take very many instances like that to completely demoralize you and make you realize that management will talk out of both sides of their mouths. The level of my not caring fluctuates, but I would put myself at about a 7, with 1 being rxnup and 10 being sparta.

I do work for the chain...
But even if I call compliance department, the job of compliance department to protect the chain... my job is to protect my license...that’s why I am asking here as well...
Have U guys had any situations with mistakes that were reported to board of pharmacy? Or may be any of your friends or coworkers had who may share their experiences ?

1) this is why you should have individual professional liability insurance. Call your professional liability insurance and go with whatever they tell you is the best course of action.

2) ok, you know that for the future, but you don't currently have professional liability insurance. Call your chains's DM, safety official, whatever, and go with whatever they say.

3) baring all that, just say human error, you don't know what happened, BUT here are the steps you will take to try to keep it from happening again.

No, the board doesn't care that you are the only pharmacist with 250 RX's. They don't care if you would be fired if you didn't keep up. The board expects you to take as much time as needed to fill each prescription correctly. See above for what you should tell the board.

Well for one don't lie or try to make excuses like "it was busy, phones ringing off the hook, 4 flu shots..." because that will reflect negatively on you and the board may think you're consenting to practice in a dangerous environment. I know where I trained in TN part of the law is if you deem the environment dangerous you need to either close up or do what you need to to make it safe because they can hold you liable for that (but on the flip side you can close down and demand more help and your employer can terminate you if they want). Be open and honest as to why the mistake happened and what you will do to prevent it. If there was no patient harm that's likely what the board will want. Not a bad idea to have corporate guide you or at least review things too. Most companies have compliance divisions that deal with these things.

Be honest, and if possible always show how you have the patient's best interest in mind. Have an action plan to present as to how you will prevent this from happening in the future. But whatever it is, do not lie and do not blame corporate. You could get A. Reprimanded by the board or B. Fired.

In reality every pharmacist has mad some type of minor missfill, and 99% are just corrected and never go beyond that. However, though, I'm not surprised someone went to the board over getting shorted their clonazepam.
This is really great sound advice

LOL.

My lead tech once gave me a t-shirt celebrating my defiant nature for Christmas one year.

Ever tried to take on a DoN? Nurses by themselves are not a usual threat, but Nursing is the most powerful department within a hospital. Nursing management can and usually does walk all over pharmacy to its own profession's detriment. That's ok, we're not the final responsibility most of the time and they are. And yes, nurses do write up physicians with regularity. Dr. House would be fired in minutes, Chief of Staff on his side or not.

So sad that this profession has been lowered to dealing with crap like this! Sad!!

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

Either you're in a zany state, or you need to do some law CE.
The criteria for refusing opioids is fairly standard.

I'm surprised your board wasted time with a refusal to fill complaint

Ever tried to take on a DoN? Nurses by themselves are not a usual threat, but Nursing is the most powerful department within a hospital. Nursing management can and usually does walk all over pharmacy to its own profession's detriment. That's ok, we're not the final responsibility most of the time and they are. And yes, nurses do write up physicians with regularity. Dr. House would be fired in minutes, Chief of Staff on his side or not.

This. Nurses rule the hospital. Whatever they want, they will get (unless JCAHO or other licensing body tells them they can't have it.) #1 rule for success in a hospital is to immediately make friends with nurses (this goes for everyone who works in a hospital, even non-nursing management.) If one is unfortunate enough to get on nursings bad side, then they should start to look for a new job, before nursing throws them out.

Reactions: 2 users
the board of pharmacy has time to investigate these kind of mistakes? damn

Either you're in a zany state, or you need to do some law CE.
The criteria for refusing opioids is fairly standard.

I'm surprised your board wasted time with a refusal to fill complaint

I suspect is has something to do with their mandate to investigate all complaints, no matter how trivial. I had a patient complain to the board because I refused to fill an oxy 30 xanax 2 combo from a psyche dr over 300 miles away. The board sent me an inquiry asking for my side, I responded, they thanked me for my time and tossed the case.