MOCA and retirement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

caligas

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
“Anesthesia Jane” is 52 and just completed a MOCA cycle. She now has a certificate good through age 62. She is on track to be financially independent in the next 10 years. She is sick of all the useless MOCA garbage and wonders if she should do a single thing for the next MOCA cycle. If she does, it may end up a total waste of time. If she doesn’t, she may be stuck at age 62 wanting to work more but unable to renew her certification (other than something like NBPAS which is currently not accepted at her hospital).

What does she do?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Invest in Bitcoin... o_O

I used to laugh at these posts, but a buddy of mine from medical school just lost $75K dumpling half his investments in crypto currencies. He’ll probably have to sell his house and downsize significantly. Will be steering far away from that.

Back to the OP, maybe do half of what’s required to keep the option open for a recert as the picture becomes more clear over the next few years.

“Anesthesia Jane” is 52 and just completed a MOCA cycle. She now has a certificate good through age 62. She is on track to be financially independent in the next 10 years. She is sick of all the useless MOCA garbage and wonders if she should do a single thing for the next MOCA cycle. If she does, it may end up a total waste of time. If she doesn’t, she may be stuck at age 62 wanting to work more but unable to renew her certification (other than something like NBPAS which is currently not accepted at her hospital).

What does she do?

continue with the MOCA crap for a few years until there is more certainty in her future.

Reactions: 1 users
I used to laugh at these posts, but a buddy of mine from medical school just lost $75K dumpling half his investments in crypto currencies. He’ll probably have to sell his house and downsize significantly. Will be steering far away from that.

Back to the OP, maybe do half of what’s required to keep the option open for a recert as the picture becomes more clear over the next few years.

Keep in and wait for it to rise

Yes, even well into 60’s you might want to do a bit of Locums or something and would need certification.

What does she do?

NBPAS is possibly a good option for her.

Otherwise ... the first few years of MOCA aren't too painful. She doesn't have to decide now.
- she's going to maintain a state license anyway
- she's going to do some CME anyway
- $210/year and 30 minutes per quarter for MOCA Minute is silly but tolerable
- she can delay doing any part 4 garbage until year 4, and decide then if she wants to continue

Doing MOCA at this point is a waste of time the way auto insurance is a waste of money.

Reactions: 1 user

What does she do?

Do 1 more cycle even though it sucks.:smack: Not to rain on your parade but most Anesthesiologists over the age of 50 have lifetime (non time limited) Board Certification by the ABA.

THE American Board of Anesthesiology (ABA) recently announced its plan for time-limited certification. All primary, subspecialty, and "Continued Demonstration of Qualifications" (CDQ) certificates issued on or after January 1, 2000, will expire 10 yr after the candidate passed the certifying examination. From its inception, the certificate of added qualifications in pain management was time-limited for 10 yr. This article discusses the rationale for this policy change.

Time-limited Certification:American Board of Anesthesiology | Anesthesiology | ASA Publications

I’ve heard of NBPAS i believe, but is it realistic to think it could take widely going forward? How does it differ from other certification schemes?

Just a reminder that the MOCA minute questions for the quarter/year are due by today. Don’t be a slacker!
Yay! That means tomorrow I can pay another $210 and start another block!

They should make it so if you have a superstatprobabilityhandwavingmatrixnumberthingy of 1 you're exempted for a year ... or five.

Well since I opted out of MOCA and maintain certification with NBPAS, I don't have to worry about this absurd nonsense.

Everyone out there should put in the work necessary to get your hospitals to recognize NBPAS and leave MOCA extortion behind forever.

Anybody know:

If one does enter a new cycle (with 10 year certificate) but does nothing for MOCA cruising toward retirement, will the ABA do anything to pressure participation? I suppose the issue hasn’t really come up yet.

Anybody know:

If one does enter a new cycle (with 10 year certificate) but does nothing for MOCA cruising toward retirement, will the ABA do anything to pressure participation? I suppose the issue hasn’t really come up yet.

You would be recertified for 10 years and no longer be listed as active in MOCA. Your board certification from the ABA would expire at the end of that 10 years.
I assume you will be a member of NBPAS before your certification expires.