MOCA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NJPAIN

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am noticing that in 2018, unlike in 2017, my MOCA questions include anestthesiology questions even though I do NOT need to participate in MOCA for my anesthesiology certification (non-time limited). Last year there was not a single anesthesiology question. Needless to say, it is pulling my scores down. Anyone else noticing this??

Members don't see this ad.

I am noticing that in 2018, unlike in 2017, my MOCA questions include anestthesiology questions even though I do NOT need to participate in MOCA for my anesthesiology certification (non-time limited). Last year there was not a single anesthesiology question. Needless to say, it is pulling my scores down. Anyone else noticing this??
Do the scores matter?

Members don't see this ad :)
Who knows??
What I do know is that this MOCA crap is an expensive pain in my rear. Every step of the way I am reaching into my pocket. A shameless money grab.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Who knows??
What I do know is that this MOCA crap is an expensive pain in my rear. Every step of the way I am reaching into my pocket. A shameless money grab.

You should have been able to set your percentages. I did this year when I renewed MOCA.

90% pain 10% gas questions

I set my practice profile at 100% pain. I'm fortunate enough that my anesthesiology certification is lifetime. I'm NOT participating in MOCA for anesthesiology, just pain. I had a question yesterday regarding stridor in a patient 72 hrs post parathyroidectomy. I emailed the ABA. I will see what the response is.

Last edited:
I just started MOCA. What a royal PITA. Charge me $1,000 and let me take a test. And the people at the Board are not very helpful. I asked them if risk management CME or practice management CME is just plain category 1 or is it ethics and they referred me to the Texas Medical Association 800 number for the definition. A colleague just started it too and he's seeing a lot of anesthesia questions. And what's this practice improvement crap? I just just had a practice audit by my med-mal carrier but ABA won't recognize it since it's not Category 1. Same for all the reviews I do for the state board.

Texas just passed a law that removed MOCA as a requirement at all hospitals unless the medical staff votes for it. I'm tempted to let it go.

Reactions: 1 user
I just started MOCA. What a royal PITA. Charge me $1,000....Texas just passed a law that removed MOCA as a requirement at all hospitals unless the medical staff votes for it. I'm tempted to let it go.

MOC all about $$$$....just look at what the ABMS directors made:
  • Lois Margaret, MD JD MBA - CEO - $775,000+
  • Laura Skarnulis - COO - $350,000
  • Mira Irons - SVP Academic Affairs - $370,000+
  • Kathleen Ruff - Chief of Staff - $300,000+
In-fact according to their 2015 Form 990, close to $9,000,000 was spent on salary/pension/other wages!!!! Attached if you wish to view further :cool:

Join the National Board of Physicians and Surgeons: https://nbpas.org/

Attachments

• ABMS Form 990 2015.pdf
    1.4 MB · Views: 49
In-fact according to their 2015 Form 990, close to $9,000,000 was spent on salary/pension/other wages!!!! Attached if you wish to view further :cool:

And what value do they really add to anything? They produce nothing and provide no real service of value. They are parasites. I just did my first 30 questions. WTF is it with anesthesia questions? When am I going to do a caudal block on an infant? When they get a ruptured disk?

Reactions: 2 users
I get 50% gas and 60% pain even though everywhere I have stated I am 100% pain... go figure.

I don’t care about which pressor to use during mitral valve surgery or which meds alter sevofkurabe levels now (Tho I did get those 2 uestiobz right ;) )

otoh the board recert exam every 10 years is worse..

I encourage everyone to call the ABA (for those anesthesiologists among us), speak with the MOCA division and complain that the question are irrelevant to your practice. I contacted them via email. The MOCA division clearly stated that the questions should be relevant to your practice and the certificate(s) that you are maintaining. So, either they have no idea of what is going on or they do not care. I find it VERY odd that last year I did not receive a single anesthesia related question and this year every third or fourth question is purely anesthesia related. One thought is that perhaps they are throwing these questions in because they don't have enough pain questions? Can't be that easy to come up with a decent question that you can read and carefully choose the correct answer in one minute.

The video on the home page is a must watch....great stuff.

Reactions: 1 user