1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Emergency Medicine' started by spyderdoc, Aug 7, 2002.

1. spyderdoc

Physician Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Hello everyone. I volunteered to be your moderator in the EM forum. I just finished my 4 year EM residency in a large Northeast tertiary center. I am now working in a small community ED in Northern Cali. I went to osteopathic med school in Southern Cali. I hope to be able to help answer questions, provide guidance, etc as needed. I can't promise to check this everyday, but I hope to as often as possible.
    I knew I wanted to do EM from the time I decided to go to med school. I previously worked as a medic and an ER tech while in undergrad.
    I am very happy with my decision, and I feel very fortunate to have been able to fulfill my dreams. I could not imagine doing any other specialty...
    Take care, and let me know how I can be of help!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Zionist

Zionist Member
    7+ Year Member

Hey doc,
    I know this seems like a personal and improper question. But I was wondering what's been your starting salary. I want 2 know for my own info.
    Thanx

4. ljube_02

ljube_02 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Doc, why did you choose to practice in commiefornia?

5. setherton

setherton New Member

spyderdoc
    I am currently a third year osteopathic med student considering EM as a career and was hoping you could provide some insight into a few questions. First of all, do you see much of a difference between those students who train at an allopathic vs. osteopathic institution? Which osteopathic programs are considered top tier or does it even really matter? Well, that's enough to get me started. I would appreciate any words of wisdom that you may have.

6. mcwmark

mcwmark Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I won't answer for spyderdoc, but I've got two friends that recently were hired:

$160,000 for a 36-40 hour week in a desireable location, academic setting

$185,000 for a 40 hour week in a community based ED.

Just to compare, an Assistant professor at our school's ED makes approximately $200,000.

This is the midwest, so I would guess the starting salary in california to be maybe about 10% lower.

7. Dr JPH

Dr JPH Membership Revoked
    Removed 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Northeast is generally lower as well, although I do know of a recent hire of $195,000 in Cape Cod, Massachusetts. 48 hours week with relocation expenses paid. Small community emergency center that is BOOMING during the summer months and only sees local visits during the remainder of the year.

8. emedpa

emedpa GlobalDoc
    10+ Year Member

Post Doc
    One of the local ED's here in portland pays $145/hr plus malpractice with 2 weeks paid vacation without other benefits. not too shabby...

9. tonem

tonem Senior Member
    15+ Year Member

spyderdoc i sent you a pm