This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

spyderdoc

Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone. I volunteered to be your moderator in the EM forum. I just finished my 4 year EM residency in a large Northeast tertiary center. I am now working in a small community ED in Northern Cali. I went to osteopathic med school in Southern Cali. I hope to be able to help answer questions, provide guidance, etc as needed. I can't promise to check this everyday, but I hope to as often as possible.
I knew I wanted to do EM from the time I decided to go to med school. I previously worked as a medic and an ER tech while in undergrad.
I am very happy with my decision, and I feel very fortunate to have been able to fulfill my dreams. I could not imagine doing any other specialty...
Take care, and let me know how I can be of help!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey doc,
I know this seems like a personal and improper question. But I was wondering what's been your starting salary. I want 2 know for my own info.
Thanx

Doc, why did you choose to practice in commiefornia?

Members don't see this ad :)
spyderdoc
I am currently a third year osteopathic med student considering EM as a career and was hoping you could provide some insight into a few questions. First of all, do you see much of a difference between those students who train at an allopathic vs. osteopathic institution? Which osteopathic programs are considered top tier or does it even really matter? Well, that's enough to get me started. I would appreciate any words of wisdom that you may have.

Originally posted by Zionist
Hey doc,
I know this seems like a personal and improper question. But I was wondering what's been your starting salary. I want 2 know for my own info.
Thanx

I won't answer for spyderdoc, but I've got two friends that recently were hired:

$160,000 for a 36-40 hour week in a desireable location, academic setting

$185,000 for a 40 hour week in a community based ED.

Just to compare, an Assistant professor at our school's ED makes approximately $200,000.

This is the midwest, so I would guess the starting salary in california to be maybe about 10% lower.

Originally posted by mcwmark
I won't answer for spyderdoc, but I've got two friends that recently were hired:

$160,000 for a 36-40 hour week in a desireable location, academic setting

$185,000 for a 40 hour week in a community based ED.

Just to compare, an Assistant professor at our school's ED makes approximately $200,000.

This is the midwest, so I would guess the starting salary in california to be maybe about 10% lower.

Northeast is generally lower as well, although I do know of a recent hire of $195,000 in Cape Cod, Massachusetts. 48 hours week with relocation expenses paid. Small community emergency center that is BOOMING during the summer months and only sees local visits during the remainder of the year.

One of the local ED's here in portland pays $145/hr plus malpractice with 2 weeks paid vacation without other benefits. not too shabby...