Molecular Bio and Genetics for the MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted821402

Are molecular biology and genetics very important for the MCAT? And if so, which would be more important to take? I only have room to take one of them and I am leaning toward taking genetics, but I am not too sure.

Members don't see this ad.

depends on the course content.. but probably molecular biology. at my school they have a mobio/biochem combination course, or you can take them separate

Reactions: 1 user
depends on the course content.. but probably molecular biology. at my school they have a mobio/biochem combination course, or you can take them separate
+1 depends on how in depth the courses go. At some schools, genetics is very streamlined and not the best use of a semester.

Molecular bio may help you to understand many of the more complicated concepts and techniques that may occasionally be found on the mcat. That aside, because both of these areas of biology are present in some capacity, you can't go wrong with either course.

Members don't see this ad :)
I took both before my MCAT. Not needed but I'm so happy took them. They help clarify some of the passages and not to mention you just learn more information that you learn in med school anyways. It does more good than harm unless you suck at test taking and it ruins your GPA

I would do genetics but honestly don't stress over it. I only hadn't taken either going into the MCAT and was fine.

Molecular, Cell Bio and Genetics were all extremely useful for the MCAT. I spent maybe 10% of my MCAT study time going over biology and received a 131 in the bio section because I had a strong background with these courses.

Definitely both if you have the time. Since you don't, I vote molecular biology. It will undoubtedly include some genetics so you get the best of both.

Are molecular biology and genetics very important for the MCAT? And if so, which would be more important to take? I only have room to take one of them and I am leaning toward taking genetics, but I am not too sure.

Molecular bio for sure.