Molecular Bio

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DireWolf

The Pride of Cucamonga
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those who have taken Step 1 recently, I need some help focusing on the molecular bio.

I seem to be able to grasp the concepts for the eukaryotes fairly well (DNA synthesis, transcription, translation, signaling).

However, when I try to learn the prokaryote stuff, I start getting things confused. Also, the prokaryotes have much more complex/well-understood signaling mechanisms such as operons, attenuation, etc.

So have you all been seeing a lot eukaryotic or prokaryotic stuff?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

DireWolf said:
For those who have taken Step 1 recently, I need some help focusing on the molecular bio.

I seem to be able to grasp the concepts for the eukaryotes fairly well (DNA synthesis, transcription, translation, signaling).

However, when I try to learn the prokaryote stuff, I start getting things confused. Also, the prokaryotes have much more complex/well-understood signaling mechanisms such as operons, attenuation, etc.

Thanks.

I didn't feel like my exam was mol bio heavy. That being said tho I feel that FA is inadequate in this topic. I read the Kaplan Lecture Notes and felt pretty well prepared for most of the mol bio they threw my way. They definately asked stuff that wasnt in FA. My mol bio were more understanding based than regurg. So don't worry about memorizing all the operons and such just undertand the concepts of replicatiom, transl, transcr, the diff labe techniques, how they're used, etc.

Direwolf, I had enough molecular bio on my usmle to float the queen mary. It was balls. :smuggrin: haha just had to add that in. ;)

On tuesday I went to the library and checked out the book "Hi Yield Molecular Biology" by dudek, 1999. I read it in 3 hours and it helped a ton.

I thought it covered the scope of the prok's and euks.

M.

Members don't see this ad :)

Thanks.

not sure when ur taking the step. but if ur takin it next year, then i would wait for dudek's 2006 high yield MCB. its almost twice as long as the current one but i am guessing its more comprehensive

not sure when ur taking the step. but if ur takin it next year, then i would wait for dudek's 2006 high yield MCB. its almost twice as long as the current one but i am guessing its more comprehensive

I hope he isnt taking it next year, as his residency coordinator might not let him off for it ;)

if the short ~100pg version is adequate for the boards except for the occasional insane question (from all accounts that I have heard/read).....what reasons are there to get the new, longer book?

if the short ~100pg version is adequate for the boards except for the occasional insane question (from all accounts that I have heard/read).....what reasons are there to get the new, longer book?

Mostly to pacify the paranoia. if u have that problem ofcourse

I thought many of my mol bio questions had to do with interpretation of experimental results and were answerable with some critical thinking and basic understanding of what's happening at the molecular level. I was not quizzed on sophisticated mechanisms beyond the most common signalling pathways.

Mostly to pacify the paranoia. if u have that problem ofcourse
yup....the same paranoia that drives those of us who have been annotating a 2006 FA to buy a 2007 b/c we might miss out on something.....though molec bio is low yield enough that I really think I'll just stick w/ the older edition