Molecular or Cell Bio?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ShySpliceosome

Microbe lover
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
In order to fulfill the requirements of my curricular track, I must choose between Molecular Biology and Cell Biology.

Here are the course descriptions of both classes:

Advanced Molecular Biology/Genetics (BIO 400):

Introduction to principles of modern molecular biology; DNA and RNA structure and synthesis; protein synthesis; gene structure, expression, and regulation; recombinant DNA techniques; plant and animal models; transgenics; contemporary bioethics issues. Includes lab. Worth 4 credit hours.

Advanced Cell Biology (BIO 360):

Structure and function of cellular organelles; role of energy, membranes, nucleic acids, and proteins in cellular regulation; nature of nerve impulse. Does not include lab. Worth 3 credit hours.

Molecular Biology obviously goes into greater detail than Cell Biology. Which one is better for preparing for the MCAT?

Members don't see this ad.

Im not sure about the molecular bio, but I do know that some of the stuff we cover in cell bio at my institution can and has shown up in the bio passages in the MCAT.

We had to do both here sophomore year, so if you can I'd recommend it as cell goes into the information but molecular is important for techniques and getting the mind set for how the problems can be given to you

Members don't see this ad :)
Neither one will help you with the MCAT (Marginally help). The material on MCAT is really very random you only need to know the basics.

I would advise you to take
Advanced Molecular Biology/Genetics (BIO 400):

If you end up working in a research lab or doing a research project that is heavy on the biochem/cell bio side the skills you will acquire in this class will really help you. The other class just seems like a lot of pointless memorization. Im sure you already have a basic background in cell bio. You dont really need to know charge localization mechanism on the intracytoplasmic I3 loop of a protein.

I would recommend asking older students at your university. They will be able to give you much better advice than the random, uninformed recommendations we can give here.

There is genetics on the MCAT, I believe. I would take Molecular Bio/Genetics.