Money-making as an MSIV

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RedBlanket

Hi everybody!
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any inspirations people? I finish up my medical school coursework the day after the match and therefore have a couple of months of free time before graduation. I would love to travel, but that requires cash. Anyone know of some good ways to turn an almost-MD into a money-making job?

I've tutored for the MCAT in the past and may do that again, but I have dreams of something that pays slightly better with more hours. I've looked into phlebotomy jobs, etc... but everything seems to want some piddling certificate.

Any ideas people? I'm in LA, this shouldn't be so hard.

Members don't see this ad.

Go to as many drug rep dinners as you can, get the honorariums (cash in your hand) or their gift certificate vouchers... then sell the items from medrewards on Ebay. I made about $1500 last year doing that.

I worked part time as a medical malpractice defense paralegal throughout medical school, that helped out a lot too.

Q, DO

They used to let MSIV's who had completed a sub-i at this community hospital moonlight at this community hospital. Right after I finished my sub-I there though, they disbanded this program. If you are looking to get paid a lot of money, I'd reccomend looking for something in the restaurant business. You can make over 100 per night at some places. I'd also reccomend looking into funded research opportunities, since these will have the added benefit of going on your CV for fellowship/future employment purposes.

Members don't see this ad :)
Good advice Quinn... I'm looking for a paralegal job now, no luck so far. Without being on "real" clinical rotations I'm kind of out of the loop on the drug rep circuit. Now that's a great way to make money.

Ckent: It's hard to get a job in the restraunt industry at the kinds of places where you make good money without any experience. Don't think I haven't considered it. Not many research labs would want me for 1-2 months and I've already got a couple of my own projects cooking on the side.

I'm looking at medical transcription now. $200 for the CPT test (which it looks to me should be easily passable by an MSIV without studying). However, I don't know if I'll be able to get a month or two of 40+ hr weeks right off the bat. Anyone with experience with this?

I've been making money all through medschool as a BLS (CPR) instructor and an ACLS instructor.

pays at least 20-30/hour. Best part is that it is super easy! make 100.00 in a few hours. it's great.

later

Originally posted by 12R34Y
I've been making money all through medschool as a BLS (CPR) instructor and an ACLS instructor.

pays at least 20-30/hour. Best part is that it is super easy! make 100.00 in a few hours. it's great.

later

That's what I'm talking about. $20-30/hr for something I should now anyway. How does one become a BLS instructor?

I'm talking ACLS in a couple of weeks so I should probably wait until I take the class before I try to teach it.:D

Good info. Thanks.

QuinnNSU,

Hi, I was just wondering how you became involved with becoming a medical malpractice defense paralegal, what all it entailed, the hours, (time involved), and what (approx.) it paid.

Thanks for your input, it sounds very interesting

Redblanket,

your school should have an AHA (American heart ASsociation) coordinator. These are the people who teach and recert ALL hospital employees, nurses physicians and everyone. it is afull time job for them.

contact the office and get a schedule of instructor classes and do the same with ACLS (after you have been ACLS certified) . they can also direct you to other hospitals that are having classes etc...

later

A lot of people at my school do H & P's for local hospitals or docs. they usually make $25/hr. Not too shabby.

Originally posted by 12R34Y
Redblanket,

your school should have an AHA (American heart ASsociation) coordinator. These are the people who teach and recert ALL hospital employees, nurses physicians and everyone. it is afull time job for them.

contact the office and get a schedule of instructor classes and do the same with ACLS (after you have been ACLS certified) . they can also direct you to other hospitals that are having classes etc...

later

Good info. I'll talk with them when I go in for ACLS. Thanks for the heads up.

The H&P route @ $25/hr was my ideal, but I have no idea how to hook that up. Haven't heard anyone at my school getting that kind of deal. Med-student moonlighting... I like it.

redblanket,

at my school, during 3rd/4th year we are always getting emails from other students who worked with docs that need someone to do H & P's. It wouldn't hurt to ask around at any of the hospitals you do your clinics.

Pardon my ignorance (I don't start as an MS1 until August 2004), but what does H&P stand for?

H&P = History & Physical

Members don't see this ad :)
What does ACLS stand for?

teaching BLS classes still applies to summer after MS1 as well.

later

Two great jobs for making a little cash & blowing off steam is bartending & bouncing. I had a couple of classmates that bartended around Kansas City & I bounced on/off throughout my 3rd & 4th years.

It works out well, especially if you're a night-owl like me...you get to go out, socialize & meet people - yet you're getting paid, rather than shelling out the money. Gives you good hook-ups for when you do go out as well. My class had our end of 3rd year party at my club - no cover for everyone & half-price drinks all night cause I worked there. Not to mention that the pay isn't bad at all & a lot of it can be cash...

It's funny - at one point the bouncers at my club included 3 med students, a dental student, a chiropractic student, 2 EMT's, a firefighter, a former-Army Ranger, & 2 former-Army medics....not a bad crew to have.

How did you get a job as a bouncer?

I just walked into the bar during the day, asked to see the manager, asked for a job & filled out an application...

It also probably helps that I'm kinda big & don't look too bright...I definitely look more like a bouncer than a doctor.:D

I also had a friend who did body-piercing on the side as a way of earning some extra cash...putting that anatomy knowledge to work & people seem to trust someone in med school a little more than your average worker at a piercing studio.

Interesting thread with some great ideas! What I've come to realize over the past year or so is that it's not impossible to make money as a med student. I have had to, since I have a wife and 2 kids. Before med school and for part of first year I worked in a personal fitness training business. I would love it if I could still do this, but my 3rd-year schedule has not allowed it.

Lately I have been making more money with an internet business I got involved in some time ago, in the supplemental health benefits industry. The great thing about this is you can set your own hours when you can work it, so it's easy to fit into your schedule as a med student. It does take work and an initial investment, but the pay-off for the time I put in is much higher than anything else I've done.

Here are a few of the websites I use in my business:

landing page for more info

FAQ & videos

online enrollment

If you are interested let me know and I could teach you how to get started in something like this. Good luck in your search! I'm sure you will find a way to make it work and enjoy your travels coming up!

Originally posted by mtbiker
Interesting thread with some great ideas! What I've come to realize over the past year or so is that it's not impossible to make money as a med student. I have had to, since I have a wife and 2 kids. Before med school and for part of first year I worked in a personal fitness training business. I would love it if I could still do this, but my 3rd-year schedule has not allowed it.

Lately I have been making more money with an internet business I got involved in some time ago, in the supplemental health benefits industry. The great thing about this is you can set your own hours when you can work it, so it's easy to fit into your schedule as a med student. It does take work and an initial investment, but the pay-off for the time I put in is much higher than anything else I've done.

Here are a few of the websites I use in my business:

landing page for more info

flash, FAQ & videos page

online enrollment

If you are interested let me know and I could teach you how to get started in something like this. Good luck in your search! I'm sure you will find a way to make it work and enjoy your travels coming up!

1 post + above post = fishy salesperson

Excuse me? I apologize if my post offended anyone else besides Auricae. The OP asked for ideas to make money as a med student and I shared what I do, making the info easily accessible. For the past 5 months this business has paid me between $1,046 and $1,264 per month, including the months I was on inpatient medicine and surgery (when it would be impossible to work at even a part-time job). Are there any other methods students have found (short of day-trading) to do this? That may not seem like much but it sure helps keep the student loans down, especially with a family to take care of.

I don't feel sharing this info is being a "fishy salesperson" as Auricae stated. That is not me. Yes I am new to these boards and this posting happened to catch my attention. If the OP or the moderator feels this was unsolicited information or in any way contrary to the spirit of these boards, I will be happy to delete the posting.

I enjoyed your post mtbiker...thanks for sharing!

Sorry mtbiker, I didn't mean to insult you if you are honestly suggesting this route. It just seemed like an ad from a salesperson, which is not permitted on the board (I think).

No problem, and thanks for the response. I think we all can learn things from each other when it comes to finances, investing, etc...things you don't learn much about in school but are obviously important.

I was talking with some of my classmates the other day and I was blown away that one person thought you can make a "principle only" student loan payment without paying the interest first that month. Another student thought the best thing to do was only pay the minimum on the student loan payment and invest a lot in mutual funds. Well, my wife and I lost a few thousand $ in mutual funds before starting med school, as well as several more thousand in stocks, options, you name it (that's why I'm so anti - day-trading!). Looking back, it was my own fault because I didn't take the time back then to really educate myself.

Needless to say I will not take another financial advisor's advice again just because they are supposed to be the "experts" (kind of like patients taking their doctor's word as final without being actively involved in their own healthcare decisions). There are some doctors and other professionals who turn their entire portfolios over to money managers, which can turn out to be a huge mistake. I have learned it is best to do your own research!

I have spent the past few years learning what types of trading strategies have a high probability of success, and are low risk. In fact I've found ways to convert a trade into a no-risk position (after a few months--no trade ever starts out no-risk) that can profit whether the market goes up, down, or sideways. It's kind of complicated, but I've seen it work. I definitely have more that I need to learn myself. If there are any traders on this board that want to talk shop, I'd be glad to swap ideas!

Medical writing earns $30/hour on a temp basis. Call some temp agencies and ask around.

Hi, I was wondering if you could expanc a little about what all is involved in medical writing.
Thanks