• Please review the updated member agreement. Included is a new statement supporting the scientific method and evidence-based medicine. Claims or statements about disease processes should reference widely accepted scientific resources. Theoretical medical speculation is encouraged as part of the overall scientific process. However, unscientific statements that promote unfounded ideological positions or agendas may be removed.

soulrider

7+ Year Member
Nov 16, 2009
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Anyone has ever done disability evaluations as a moonlighting gig during residency or fellowship? I was referred by a friend to this company that will pay 80 dollars an hour. The company seems legit, they have sent me a contract and it seems pretty simple.

I have never done any moonlighting until now (am currently in my third and last year of fellowship) and am completely against doing anything shady or that could jeopardize my career. What do you guys think? Is there anything wrong with this type of moonlighting, or could I potentially put myself into a bad situation if I do it? What about the liability? They cover malpractice insurance, but is there a need for tail coverage or any other more comprehensive insurance?

ProfMD

I'd rather be operating.
Lifetime Donor
2+ Year Member
May 18, 2016
Status
Attending Physician
I don't know much about disability evaluations other than that I do not want to do them.

With regards to the liability insurance - you definitely want tail coverage for anything you do in medicine.

Reactions: northernpsy

VA Hopeful Dr

15+ Year Member
Jul 28, 2004
Status
Attending Physician
I did it my last year as well (though for $100/hour). It was mind-numbingly boring work but it paid well and for the short term is was nice.

Reactions: ThoracicGuy
About the Ads

gutonc

No Meat, No Treat
Staff member
Administrator
15+ Year Member
Mar 6, 2005
Status
Attending Physician
Not that you shouldn't include liability in your evaluation of this issue, but disability physicals are about the least liability involving thing you can be involved in as a physician. You are not diagnosing or treating anything. You are determining whether a person deserves coverage (public or private) for some injury/condition.

Reactions: DetectiveAlonzo

gutonc

No Meat, No Treat
Staff member
Administrator
15+ Year Member
Mar 6, 2005
Status
Attending Physician
you are getting shafted. mooonlighting shud be at least 100/hr!!!
I'll spell check your posts for $75/h. Minimum charge of 3 hours.

VA Hopeful Dr

15+ Year Member
Jul 28, 2004
Status
Attending Physician
Not that you shouldn't include liability in your evaluation of this issue, but disability physicals are about the least liability involving thing you can be involved in as a physician. You are not diagnosing or treating anything. You are determining whether a person deserves coverage (public or private) for some injury/condition.
Yeah I didn't have any insurance for this for that exact reason. Had a chaperone to cover me for any potential "doctor touched me in appropriately" issues but otherwise felt OK about it.

soulrider

7+ Year Member
Nov 16, 2009
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Thank you for the replies!
I'm gonna start doing them soon. I know the money is not the best but there's a paucity of options around here..

NotAProgDirector

Pastafarians Unite!
10+ Year Member
Oct 11, 2006
Status
Attending Physician
Disability evals are low liability for medmal against you, but they seem potentially risky for ending up in court (which can be time consuming and you won't get paid). If you decide someone is not disabled they might sue. If you decide someone is disabled, the insurance company might sue if they disagree. In both cases you end up as a witness. So no risk of being sued yourself, but some risk of ending up tied up in a case. Or am I overblowing it? I have no experience here.

soulrider

7+ Year Member
Nov 16, 2009
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Disability evals are low liability for medmal against you, but they seem potentially risky for ending up in court (which can be time consuming and you won't get paid). If you decide someone is not disabled they might sue. If you decide someone is disabled, the insurance company might sue if they disagree. In both cases you end up as a witness. So no risk of being sued yourself, but some risk of ending up tied up in a case. Or am I overblowing it? I have no experience here.
I am not sure about possibility of being a witness in court, but I did my first shift last weekend and I am not the one who decides whether people get disability or not, I pretty much just document what I find on physical exam..

Reactions: VA Hopeful Dr

VA Hopeful Dr

15+ Year Member
Jul 28, 2004
Status
Attending Physician
You are over blowing it. You don't decide anything, it's an H&P with functional status in place of plan. The state has dedicated folks who make the recommendation to the judge. I actually got reprimanded for putting that I thought someone wasn't disabled. Was told to put level of impairment, using objective findings, and leave it at that.

VA Hopeful Dr

15+ Year Member
Jul 28, 2004
Status
Attending Physician
I am not sure about possibility of being a witness in court, but I did my first shift last weekend and I am not the one who decides whether people get disability or not, I pretty much just document what I find on physical exam..
Bingo

About the Ads