moonlighting during ENT residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blz

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know moonlighting during any surgical specialty is difficult but I was wondering if it is common practice for ent residents to moonlight. It would be great if some of the seniors around here could chime in with their experiences.

I know this topic is discussed a lot on the general residency forums, but I was wondering about this topic specifically with ENT residents. I also wonder if there are any opportunities specific to ENT residents as I know optho residents sometimes work in optometry clinics on the side.

Members don't see this ad.

In my program we were allowed to moonlight if you scored over the 50th percentile on the in-service exam and were otherwise approved to do so by the program director and chairman.

I moonlit doing disability physicals. I got paid $80/pt and I could usually get through about 10 patients in a full day of Saturday clinic doing that. The reason I did that specifically is that it didn't require malpractice insurance since all I was doing was reporting an H&P and performing no treatment whatsoever.

I knew others who moonlit in the ED but then they had to know all this non-ENT stuff (something I wasn't interested in after internship) and they had to obtain insurance for that. The cost nearly offset the more money they would make doing it. For me not worth the hassle.

Each program has it's own rules regarding moonlighting--I wouldn't ask that during your interviews unless you can somehow ask it of one of the residents in a very anonymous non-chalant sort of way.

Members don't see this ad :)
Holy ****.

yeah, it looks real good until you realize you're doing that as an independent contractor and 35% of it comes out of your pocket at the end of the year.

Still, it was a significant boost to what I made in residency--even if I did it 2x/mo it paid for my rent.

yeah, it looks real good until you realize you're doing that as an independent contractor and 35% of it comes out of your pocket at the end of the year.

Oh. ****.

Had some friends who moonlit during research rotations, but very few did it while doing clinicals. It was highly frowned on by most of the staff, but it was known that some had done it on their free weekends.