Moonlighting during residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KY2007

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know how common it is for programs to allow residents to moonlight during the medical school years of oms? If any programs allow it does anyone know which ones?

Members don't see this ad.

KY2007 said:
Does anyone know how common it is for programs to allow residents to moonlight during the medical school years of oms? If any programs allow it does anyone know which ones?

Well, a few are known for allowing the residents to moonlight doing usually anesthesia or just gen dentistry. I know parkland lets their residents do dentistry during medical school -toofache can tell you more about that. Louisville is notorious for letting their residents moonlight I think doing anesthesia but I could be wrong. Nebraska used to let their residents moonlight but Miloro but the nix on that a little over a year ago. Here at LSU-SHV we can go to the prison on the weekends and shuck teeth for extra coin, I personally don't do it because I am marrying a gen. dentist and she should make all the money we need and I value my precious free time. Plus I'm not very smart so I need the extra time to study for my step 1's. :)

Now OMFSRES and TX OMS are in it with a couple bookies in town and they also like to partake in some male prostitution occasionally so they moonlight there like its going out of style.

The other programs you'll have to rely on others to tell you, but a year ago when i interviewed there were very few that did let you moonlight. And just a tip, don't ask that question in your interview, it looks really bad....find out through the grapevine.

Thanks, especially for the tip. I didn't know it was a bad thing to ask.

Members don't see this ad :)
north2southOMFS said:
And just a tip, don't ask that question in your interview, it looks really bad....find out through the grapevine.
That's good advice.

At Parkland you can moonlight any time you are not being paid by the hospital, which is during med school. You get paid while on oral surgery, anesthesia, general surgery, ENT, etc. With that being said, there are plenty of guys who moonlight while on oral surgery but they don't have as much time.

You have plenty of time to moonlight during med school rotations. I know you're gonna ask, so I don't mind telling you what I made. I averaged about 15-25 hours per week and took home about $40-50 G's per year. That's doing extractions and making dentures for nursing home patients whose family is tired of looking at Paw-Paw without any teeth. It was tough to stomach at first because you're pulling teeth on someone in a wheelchair who can barely hold his head up. The good thing about nursing homes is that the patients don't go anywhere so you don't have to make appointments. This works out great with our schedule because if you get off at the hospital at 10pm on a Thursday, you can go work if you want to. Those nursing home patients are just happy to have a visitor at any hour.

A few of the guys have managed to work Saturdays doing extractions in a general dental office, but they have to commit to almost every Saturday and the patients have appointments, so it's not as flexible on your part and I think they make about the same amount of money.

north2southOMFS said:
...we can go to the prison on the weekends and shuck teeth for extra coin, I personally don't do it because I am marrying a gen. dentist and he should make all the money we need for our domestic union and I value my precious free time.
And b/c you're not allowed to as a ******ed first year.