moonlighting help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Wardles888

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
hello,

I am a senior resident and would like to start looking for moonlighting opportunities, my program allows moonlighting but does not have in house moonlighting but i am in a major city. Any tips of how to find such opportunities? Would recruiters be helpful? Should I try to find out the chairs of various hospitals and email them directly? Prior threads mention word of mouth and asking former residents, Former residents in my program havent done moonlighting.

Also, any tips on things to look out for, ways to protect yourself while moonlighting?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
my program allows moonlighting just doesnt have in house

Is there an immediate care center group there? Do you have a license yet? If so contact the immediate care center. Talk to the residents in other programs. No idea what your specialty is but family medicine, internal medicine and emergency medicine were the ones that participated in moonlighting in our city. We spoke with a recruiter from the icc given to us by other residents. The icc was run by a local hospital system. They loved having us moonlight because it helped them have an in to negotiating future contracts.

hello,

I am a senior resident and would like to start looking for moonlighting opportunities, my program allows moonlighting but does not have in house moonlighting but i am in a major city. Any tips of how to find such opportunities? Would recruiters be helpful? Should I try to find out the chairs of various hospitals and email them directly? Prior threads mention word of mouth and asking former residents, Former residents in my program havent done moonlighting.

Also, any tips on things to look out for, ways to protect yourself while moonlighting?

First, do you have a full license? You need to talk to your GME about malpractice because you likely won't be covered by your hospital's malpractice insurance, which means you'll need to buy your own. Once you do that, you find the recruiter for the hospital system you want to moonlight for (they all have recruiters) and email that person.

First, do you have a full license? You need to talk to your GME about malpractice because you likely won't be covered by your hospital's malpractice insurance, which means you'll need to buy your own. Once you do that, you find the recruiter for the hospital system you want to moonlight for (they all have recruiters) and email that person.
My moonlighting experience they paid for the malpractice insurance.

I found it very difficult to find true moonlighting opportunities (i.e. paid as attending) before being board eligible/board certified. Even with a full state license I couldn't find anyone to hire me as a 3rd year IM resident, including urgent care. It depends on states laws, but the urgent care centers in my state are almost exclusively staffed by midlevels, with 1 or 2 physicians on staff as "supervisors."

There were companies paying ~$100/hr for medicare physicals, and they didn't care if you were BE/BC, only that you had a full unrestricted license.

And +1 for my current moonlighting experience paying for my malpractice insurance.

hello,

I know of a site that could be useful. Have you applied for your unrestricted license yet? What city are you in? As others have said, recruiters will check for the license but you should be able to get them to cover insurance.