Moonlighting Internships?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

The Red X

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those of you with more experience in the business world than I:

If I recently became employed in a hospital as an intern, and then a retail company contacted me to become employed with them....Do supervisors in pharmacy tend to think of this as 'moonlighting' or do they encourage a pharmacy student to gain as much experience as he/she can.

i.e. should I tell one about the other?

Members don't see this ad.

You need to tell both of them. You can have as many jobs as you can handle....

<Oh, we're talking about internships. I got nothing to contribute.>

Members don't see this ad :)
conflict of interest?

its like saying you work at Honda and you also work at GM.

You need to tell both of them. You can have as many jobs as you can handle....

I wouldn't think hospital and retail would be a conflict of interest but if the jobs were at competing retailers I could see managers not liking it. But then again what do I know.

Go ahead. I don't think anyone will care. It's not like you are working for the CIA and the KGB. There's not much trade secrets in retails.

Tell both of your supervisors. It is not fair for them to "not know" as they have to take into account of several things including the chances of you making an error because you were too tired from the previous night doing an all nighter in the hospital. There usually isnt a problem between hospitals/retail/independent. The problem usually arises when you work for two different chains. Companies usually have policies against this.

Thanks for the responses everyone. I was hoping I could be honest, as that's usually the best policy.

hell, i work for 2 different hospitals. they're kinda like step sisters.

they used to be affiliated, but are not anymore...we trade employees all the time.

A lot of pharmacists I worked with worked for two different pharmacies, but they were always either hospital/retail or mail order/retail.

For those of you with more experience in the business world than I:

If I recently became employed in a hospital as an intern, and then a retail company contacted me to become employed with them....Do supervisors in pharmacy tend to think of this as 'moonlighting' or do they encourage a pharmacy student to gain as much experience as he/she can.

i.e. should I tell one about the other?

Yes, it's moonlighting, but they shouldn't care and it shouldn't matter. Regardless of that, yes you should tell them.

However, I think you should gain your experience by doing, say, hospital at 40 hours instead of hospital 32 and retail 8 or whatever...dedicate yourself to one place at a time instead of splitting your time between 2 new places.

I am doing both, and my managers don't have an issue. And frankly, most of the pharmacists that I work with also work more than one place (most are relief pharmacist for area independents!)

Intern work? The more experience, the better. But, one must have priority on your schedule over the other.

If you are using one for class credit - that takes priority. If you are using both for work (...money) - then one must take priority, which means you do have to tell the secondary employer you have another job which may take priority in your hours.

In that way, you don't lose your credibility. Each employer knows what they can expect of you & why...so you are put on their priority list in accordance with that.

It goes without saying....you say NOTHING about one employers patients, routines, prices, "exceptional cases", etc.....to the other.

That is the basis for being employed by a relief agency - company "proprietary" information stays just that way - proprietary. Do NOT let any infortmation get traced back to you!

They dont care. There are many interns at the hospital I work at that have second jobs at retail, or even at another hospital pharmacy. Just be up front about your other commitments so as not to cause scheduling difficulties. Oh, and you probably have to pay to get extra copies of your Intern license for all these places.