Moonlighting & Podiatry!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DexterMorganSK

Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi. There is an older thread from 2013 regarding this topic, but I wanted to get another, newer perspective.

I understand that there are more opportunities to moonlight as an MD/DO (esp for FM/Psy/EM docs), but is it possible to moonlight as a Pod resident (in 2020)?

Just like everything else with this profession, it's probably state and location-dependent, but has anyone here done it? If so, could you please talk about your experience/earnings? Thanks.

@ldsrmdude would like a comment from you since that 2013 thread

Members don't see this ad.

I know of a program that did nursing home moonlighting. I don't know the details, but I have a hard time imagining a situation where residents provide care at a nursing home and aren't somehow in violation of Medicare's rules.

-Your program can simply ban it.
-Your hospital malpractice would not apply to it. You would need to acquire your own.
-There really isn't any situation where you are needed.
-I believe most states only provide podiatrists a temporary license until they complete residency. Pennsylvania I think is a known exception. MD/DO residents have potentially a full license at the end of one to two years.
-Some of the moonlighting done by the MDs is services provided in their own hospital - essentially it's a perk for their own higher level residents.
-Again, try and come up with a plausible scenario where you are needed.
-At another hospital? I'm still getting privileging done at places now as an attending 7 months out with residency completed, my own malpractice, board qualification, case logs etc.
-In your own hospital? Where, the busy podiatry floor?
-In your attendings office? They don't pay their associates. Why would they pay you.

Someone is welcome to come along and come up with the exception. The exception is not the rule. The RRA board pass rate remains terrible. Work on reading. Watch the paragon promotional series... I mean foot innovate.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
My residency experience was one where if I had any time to myself I took it for myself. That was a rare opportunity to have. I wouldn't spend it moon lighting.

I know of the program where residents moonlight at nursing homes. Its a fairly well known program and they do get to keep the cash. Their residency actually sets time aside for them to do that to learn "billing and coding". I dont know how they get around the medicare licensure. They probably bill thru an attending.

Reactions: 1 user
My residency experience was one where if I had any time to myself I took it for myself. That was a rare opportunity to have. I wouldn't spend it moon lighting.

I know of the program where residents moonlight at nursing homes. Its a fairly well known program and they do get to keep the cash. Their residency actually sets time aside for them to do that to learn "billing and coding". I dont know how they get around the medicare licensure. They probably bill thru an attending.

Fraud

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

Reactions: 1 users
In residency I moonlighted. You can get a temporary state license in my state after 2 years. Then credentials through the hospital that the residency is through and service nursing homes contracted by the hospital. Everything legit, with state license, credentials, and set up with insurance through hospital. All billing legit through billing department.

• Love
Reactions: 1 user