moonlighting

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

augmel

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do peds residents moonlight? Where at?

Members don't see this ad.

Answer is yes

The question is whether when you moonlight you need to have your own insurance or whether you are covered under the hosptial insurance.

Opportunities would include ER moonlighting, being an extra rounder on the weekend, partucularly in the NICU and PICU, clinic moonlighting.

There are also community moonlighting opportunities some places like doc in the box but those you need your own malpractice insurance.

At my school the pediatric residents can moonlight in the NICU after they finish their NICU rotation, and the attendings feel they can handle the job. They don't make the money that FP residents can make at community ER's but, as eluded to above, they don't have to pay for malpractice insurance. I think they probably make about $40/hr. As an intern, and not having to pay for insurance, it's not bad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by ttusom04
At my school the pediatric residents can moonlight in the NICU after they finish their NICU rotation, and the attendings feel they can handle the job. They don't make the money that FP residents can make at community ER's but, as eluded to above, they don't have to pay for malpractice insurance. I think they probably make about $40/hr. As an intern, and not having to pay for insurance, it's not bad.

Can they still do this with the 80 hour work week? Moonlighting at your own institution counts for your hours.

Ed

thanks for the responses. NICU moonlighting would be a nice way to make extra money. anyone else?