Moonlighting

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DO1987

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Looking into moonlighting and wondering about reporting and duty hours. We need approval from our program and it is allowed. Stipulation? We can't break duty hours including our shifts of training.

Do hospitals that you moonlight at report back to your program? What if I worked one too many shifts would I get dinged?

Also, can you moonlight in a different state from your training program assuming you get the license?

Members don't see this ad.

Looking into moonlighting and wondering about reporting and duty hours. We need approval from our program and it is allowed. Stipulation? We can't break duty hours including our shifts of training.

Do hospitals that you moonlight at report back to your program? What if I worked one too many shifts would I get dinged?

Also, can you moonlight in a different state from your training program assuming you get the license?

No, the other hospital won’t be emailing your PD - your a grown up. But, EM is a small world. It’s honor system, but if you start missing conference, being tired/disengaged on shift, they might start asking about the hours.

Another state is probably ok - just depends on your program. Ask your PD - asking shouldn’t be a problem assuming you have a reason to do it.

Reactions: 1 user
Trust no one. We had a doc from a site our residents worked at email our PD the schedule. Why? She was mad we were picking up days.

Be careful.

Members don't see this ad :)

I've never heard of any hospital or doc for that matter reporting your work hours to your PD other than on this thread. I would go so far as to say that moonlighting beyond your duty hour limit is widespread and a common occurrence. That being said, just keep it to yourself. Moonlighting and even selling ED shifts to junior residents in our program was pretty rampant though I'm not saying it's a good idea.

Do what you like, but remember that they can always hurt you more. I prefer to follow the letter of the law even if I miss out on a lot of moonlighting. This is because I know I'm only human and still have the potential to screw up big-time with my attendings in other random ways and don't want to give them any additional reasons to ding me in my last 6 months when I'm almost free.

Re what the actual rules are, yes, the biggest variable is your program. Different states can also have different moonlighting rules vs the national GME rules.

Most programs that let you moonlight will also let you moonlight in different states. But keep in mind that (1) duty hour rules may differ between states and (2) this may well be a new thing for your PD and they'll need some time to mull it over. So let them know early if this is what you'd like to do.

Last edited: