moonlighting

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Wardles888

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi I live in a big city with many hospitals, and my hospital does not allow internal moonlighting.

1. How do I find external moonlighting?
2. as a resident, can I still expect to get supervision during moonlighting?
3. It was recommended to be to get my own malpractice insurance bc the external hospital will be more interested in protecting themselves than a moonlighter even if they give the malpractice insurance....is this true, and if so how much would that cost, does it even make sense financially to moonlight in this case?

as a moonlighter, you will have to stand alone...there will be no supervision.
you shouldn't have to get your own med mal...if you go through a locums company, they will provide the med mal and if you are employed by the hospital, they will provide it.

if you are not relatively comfortable practicing on your own (ie you're an intern or pgy2), then you have no business moonlighting.

Hi I live in a big city with many hospitals, and my hospital does not allow internal moonlighting.

You ask your fellow residents (after you verify whether your program allows ANY moonlighting).

You might. I moonlighted during residency and fellowship at a small community hospital that didn't have a teaching program; I was backed up by attending surgeons. Many other sources of moonlighting, such as UC, require you to be licensed and you are not supervised.

3. It was recommended to be to get my own malpractice insurance bc the external hospital will be more interested in protecting themselves than a moonlighter even if they give the malpractice insurance....is this true, and if so how much would that cost, does it even make sense financially to moonlight in this case?

If your malpractice insurance is not provided, then it generally is not worth moonlighting as individual policies are pricey.

You probably learn what moonlighting is before you pursue it...

For starters, you should make sure that your program will let you moonlight. Beyond that, why would you have supervision during moonlighting?

Probably easiest is to ask around your program to see where other current residents moonlight and contact those places.

If no luck then you could essentially cold call places like Urgent Care clinics, free-standing radiology clinics who may need a physician on site for reactions, local long-term care/vent care facility, etc...

Nope. That's kind of the point of moonlighting though, to get paid more and gain some independent experience. Obviously there may be more senior docs around that you could run stuff by, just as when you are a new attending, but if you don't feel comfortable being somewhat independent in a certain setting then you probably shouldn't moonlight there. I moonlight and cover codes/urgent issues at a vent care facility but I feel comfortable with that population. I never did moonlight at like an urgent care center as I would not have felt comfortable seeing kids.

In general most places that would allow you to moonlight there should/would cover your malpractice. I would not moonlight somewhere where I have to procure my own coverage as I don't want the expense or added frustration.... I already have enough to take care of.