Moratorium on URM bashing/affirmative action threads

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
THIS guy deserves a pat on the back for making it to med school! :thumbup: And what a survivor after being called stupid by a teacher, who I seriously doubt was a minority.

Thanks for the link to some truly inspiring stories of URM's, Native American, Latino, African American, ect, making to and THROUGH med school! WOW!!!!

You're very welcome.

Although, personally, I would been much more inspired if they featured URM students who tried, worked hard and made the cut. How inspiring would it have been if this guy had made a 40 on his MCAT? Instead, we get a 20 MCAT and "I don't test well". Blah.

Members don't see this ad.

You're very welcome.

Although, personally, I would been much more inspired if they featured URM students who tried, worked hard and made the cut. How inspiring would it have been if this guy had made a 40 on his MCAT? Instead, we get a 20 MCAT and "I don't test well". Blah.
What would have happened if this applicant had been a poor white man? Would he get his pat on the back?

Compare these 2 posts that follow. One is serious one is a joke

THIS guy deserves a pat on the back for making it to med school! :thumbup: And what a survivor after being called stupid by a teacher, who I seriously doubt was a minority.
Thanks for the link to some truly inspiring stories of URM's, Native American, Latino, African American, ect, making to and THROUGH med school! WOW!!!!

"Ohh look at me... I'm a URM, I help people and I am a minority. I deserve some sort of medal. If I were white people would say, 'Oh that is what she/he's supposed to do' but in fact I am a URM thus deserve a medal."

Yeah real inspiring. Of course it really takes away from those who did well and proved they should be part of the class. A friend of mine from college was from Nigeria and black. English was not his first language yet he scored a 41! The guy was brilliant. Unfortunately b/c of guys that got 20's on the MCAT he will rarely be given the credit he deserves. Thanks AA.

Members don't see this ad :)
Personally, I am tired of reading posts from people who are most likely non-URMs complain about AA but who would probably also never voluntarily trade lives with a URM becasue they know at least somewhere in the back of their small little heads how much harder it is to be a URM in America. I am white and firmly believe in AA and would never voluntarily choose the life of a typical URM. Although I do not wish that these threads would end, I do wish that there would be more people coming on and supporting AA and supporting those that have been given a somewhat harder roe to hoe in life. I think my stats are above average for applicants but not exceptional and if a URM with lower stats gets into med school, I would never assume it was bc of their race but rather that there was something non-numerical that was more exciting about them than me. Adcoms are not stupid.

What would have happened if this applicant had been a poor white man? Would he get his pat on the back?

He would not get accepted to any schools. He certainly would not get a feature article by the AAMC praising the fact he hasn't dropped out of medical school yet.

If he was a borderline applicant with a 30 MCAT, he would just be a whiner for complaining about not getting accepted. If he had a 20 MCAT, we would just think he was quite mentally disturbed for complaining.

Born alone, die alone, I that's how it goes, but good thing I dont' have a problem STANDING alone.:thumbup: Doubt you could, ad hominem group thinker!;) Opps, I guess some of you mediocre apps folks will get together and PM the moderators about the offensive nature of this thread/post and get me infractionated AGAIN.:laugh:

So far there are 4 of us on this "Party-train". Any others????

i made no ad hominem attacks or any attacks for that matter; so please leave me out of it.

and stop with the "mediocre apps" attacks; you have no idea where we stand. Many of us ar ealready in mrd schools and some of us actually had many choices, so please stop saying things you have no clue about...

Get rid of AA and you get rid of this feeling.

Instatewaiter: Geez you are dispicably naive! My child you must live a little more away from the protection of your mother's bosom...then we can chat about the social implications/impact of race in america. Until then, please say no more.

Personally, I am tired of reading posts from people who are most likely non-URMs complain about AA but who would probably also never voluntarily trade lives with a URM becasue they know at least somewhere in the back of their small little heads how much harder it is to be a URM in America. I am white and firmly believe in AA and would never voluntarily choose the life of a typical URM. Although I do not wish that these threads would end, I do wish that there would be more people coming on and supporting AA and supporting those that have been given a somewhat harder roe to hoe in life. I think my stats are above average for applicants but not exceptional and if a URM with lower stats gets into med school, I would never assume it was bc of their race but rather that there was something non-numerical that was more exciting about them than me. Adcoms are not stupid.

I'd support AA if it was about underpriviledged, not about race including some rich blacks and hispanics

Is there ANY way to put a stop to these weekly AA threads?

Yes we'll start with this thread. If you don't want to see threads about AA, don't post a thread about AA.

Closing this thread, because honestly these debates never accomplish anything. Also clearly this thread has turned out to be in direct contradiction to the OP's intended purpose. (read: to stop the posting of AA threads)

If you have problems with the way forums are managed instead of posting a thread about it, pm a mod or admin, or post in the site suggestions forums.

Status
Not open for further replies.