more LOR & application questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OMMFan

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does science faculty mean professors only? Many of my best teachers were lecturers, two of whom would write me very favorable letters. I have the sneaking suspicion that these letters would not be counted, but I want to be sure.

Also, would a letter from my anatomy lecturer (department chair at a community college; has MS degree) count as a faculty LOR? My enzyme kinetics prof at my 4-yr university offered me a letter before graduation, but that was 3 years ago and I barely knew him -- he really offered me the letter based on my performance in class, which seems a bit thin to me. I think my community college instructor knows me better and that would show in the letter.

Finally, will AACOMAS accept my transcripts if they arrive before my online application? I would like to rush them now for a 2/1/06 application deadline.

Thank you for your help. I've been reading through this board for hours and have learned so much that I wish I'd found it sooner.

OMMFan

Members don't see this ad.

OMMFan said:
Does science faculty mean professors only? Many of my best teachers were lecturers, two of whom would write me very favorable letters. I have the sneaking suspicion that these letters would not be counted, but I want to be sure.

Also, would a letter from my anatomy lecturer (department chair at a community college; has MS degree) count as a faculty LOR? My enzyme kinetics prof at my 4-yr university offered me a letter before graduation, but that was 3 years ago and I barely knew him -- he really offered me the letter based on my performance in class, which seems a bit thin to me. I think my community college instructor knows me better and that would show in the letter.

Finally, will AACOMAS accept my transcripts if they arrive before my online application? I would like to rush them now for a 2/1/06 application deadline.

Thank you for your help. I've been reading through this board for hours and have learned so much that I wish I'd found it sooner.

OMMFan

WOW, you're applying so late! Why did you wait so long? :confused:

As far as LORs are concerned, I'd get those requested ASAFP. Professors seem to always have hang-ups when you ask for LORS, and they are reliably late getting them to you. Send them pre-labeled, pre-stamped envelopes (with the new stamps).

As far as the lecturers go, ask them to write the letters, but you can also have the department professors sign of on them. I did something similar; in most cases, this is okay. Most profs are relieved to have someone else write it, anyway. Call your enzyme kinetics prof (he'll remember you), and ask if you can do a phone interview before he writes the letter, so that it can be more personalized. He'll probably want this anyway, because he's probably accustomed to getting asked for med school LORS.

I hate to be a pessimist, but are you maybe accepted at any of the MD programs already? The reason I ask is that by applying right at the deadline, you're really killing your chances, even with stellar stats. Good luck!

mj1878 said:
WOW, you're applying so late! Why did you wait so long? :confused:

Thanks for your advice. I was injured a year and a half ago and only recently improved enough that I could physically handle a career in medicine. Until then, I had been told it would be unlikely if not impossible. I took an anatomy course last semester and loved the sections on muscles and bones. My MCAT scores expire this year and are only good at 3 schools as it is. If I don't get in, I will have to take the MCAT again (11, 12, 11, P).

I have about 30 semester units of of 3.0 GPA, time off school to work, then went on to graduate summa cum laude (3.98 GPA) from my alma mater w/a degree in biochemistry & molecular biology. I also volunteered extensively w/hospice, as well as a children's art bereavement group, hospital internship, and a summer internship at a clinic for the underserved. I worked as a lowly lab technician for 1.5 years at a top research institution, but earned a 2-step promotion after 10 months. I think I would be a good doctor (wouldn't all or most of us on this board, i know) and want to practice OMM.

I know this doesn't mean I'll get an interview if I apply now, but I hope it will help. I know my letters and secondary applications will matter a lot, and I hope they will be good enough to warrant interviews. If not, I'll either have to retake the MCAT or accept that I need to do something else. I have considered acupuncture and naturopathic medical schools as distant 2nd choices. If I had not healed sufficiently from my injury, I would have "settled" for acupuncture school. But again, I don't feel it is my calling.

Thank you again for your advice. I really appreciate it and will act on it.

OMMFan

Members don't see this ad :)
AACOMAS will start a file for you once they receive your first transcript. Start working on the online application now. When AACOMAS gets your transcripts it will show as received when you check your application online.

I used a LOR from a professor and adjunct lecturer(lab TA) for my application and received interviews everywhere I applied. you may want to call admissions office of the schools you are interested in.

send in the LORs to all schools you plan to apply to right now as well.

Work hard on this application and you may not have to consider your alternatives.

:luck:

OMMFan said:

OMMFan

HunterGatherer said:
AACOMAS will start a file for you once they receive your first transcript. Start working on the online application now. When AACOMAS gets your transcripts it will show as received when you check your application online.

I used a LOR from a professor and adjunct lecturer(lab TA) for my application and received interviews everywhere I applied. you may want to call admissions office of the schools you are interested in.

send in the LORs to all schools you plan to apply to right now as well.

Work hard on this application and you may not have to consider your alternatives.

:luck:

Thanks for your advice and encouragement, Hunter Gatherer. I may be a long shot but I only need one spot. :) I won't get too discouraged just yet. I discovered this board yesterday and have learned a lot from your other posts, too.

Did a professor sign the adjunct TA's letter? I will contact the schools about their policies.

I'm in the midst of completing the application and requesting letters. Most of my letter writers have written letters for me in the past for college awards, so I hope they'll be able to modify existing letters. The DO is the only question mark, since I shadowed her 2.5 years ago. I'm crossing my fingers on that one, since it's probably too late to get a letter from a DO I've never met!

Those stats and extracurriculars are outstanding. Definitely apply and get the ball rolling ASAP. I personally believe you have great chances at acceptance at any of the three schools to which you can apply.

Regards,
Gray Hooper

OMMFan said:
Thanks for your advice. I was injured a year and a half ago and only recently improved enough that I could physically handle a career in medicine. Until then, I had been told it would be unlikely if not impossible. I took an anatomy course last semester and loved the sections on muscles and bones. My MCAT scores expire this year and are only good at 3 schools as it is. If I don't get in, I will have to take the MCAT again (11, 12, 11, P).

I have about 30 semester units of of 3.0 GPA, time off school to work, then went on to graduate summa cum laude (3.98 GPA) from my alma mater w/a degree in biochemistry & molecular biology. I also volunteered extensively w/hospice, as well as a children's art bereavement group, hospital internship, and a summer internship at a clinic for the underserved. I worked as a lowly lab technician for 1.5 years at a top research institution, but earned a 2-step promotion after 10 months. I think I would be a good doctor (wouldn't all or most of us on this board, i know) and want to practice OMM.

I know this doesn't mean I'll get an interview if I apply now, but I hope it will help. I know my letters and secondary applications will matter a lot, and I hope they will be good enough to warrant interviews. If not, I'll either have to retake the MCAT or accept that I need to do something else. I have considered acupuncture and naturopathic medical schools as distant 2nd choices. If I had not healed sufficiently from my injury, I would have "settled" for acupuncture school. But again, I don't feel it is my calling.

Thank you again for your advice. I really appreciate it and will act on it.

OMMFan

My letter from the adjunct lecturer was not signed by the professor. And he did sign his name and wrote "Adjunct Lecturer" on there so there was no mistaking it being from a professor. I figured if the school rejected it I would hustle up another one but they accepted it. Maybe I got lucky so this is why I said to call the school.

read the FAQ: Someone used a letter from their supervisor or PI after discussing it with admissions. Should be a link in that thread.

If that's the only DO letter then send it. You could always try to track down that DO via the DO-online website or another way and ask for an updated letter.

Will you only have transcripts from one school? You may want to go there in person to see if they have a rush service or ask for a favor. Some schools mail out transcripts 1 week after getting a request. Transcripts have to go to AACOMAS directly from the school.

Thanks, HunterGatherer. I requested transcripts today and rushed when possible. The non-rush school has a 1-2 day turnaround time.

I'll be sure to call all the schools to figure out whether I can submit lecture letters in lieu of ones from faculty.

Thanks again for your help. I still have a long way to go, but i feel like things are quickly coming together for me in the application process <knocks on wood>. This board has been invaluable.

For future reference, UMDNJ, VCOM, and TUCOM will accept letters from lecturers at 4-year universities (not sure about community colleges). Still, a great letter from a prof may be better than the same quality letter from a lecturer.