This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chemdoctor

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Been doing research for a bit in the Orgo lab. Going well, got my own project.

Really wanna do research in a genetics lab. Upset that I may not be able to be in that lab.

Would it help my app to have more research? Prob not right? I mean I’m moderately productive with research in my current lab. Getting a poster, etc.

Not sure what to do to proceed with this though... I’m mad Bc the genetics lab research would be a project. It’d be great but I may not be able to get in. Would two labs look better than one?

Members don't see this ad.

Depends, r u going for MD/PhD or just MD? Any publications yet? How long is "a bit"? How busy is your schedule and willing to commit to this new lab?

If you really do not like your lab, I'd leave if you're not getting anything out of it. However, consider that your continuous involvement and experience might help create more publications more quickly.

Depends, r u going for MD/PhD or just MD? Any publications yet? How long is "a bit"? How busy is your schedule and willing to commit to this new lab?

If you really do not like your lab, I'd leave if you're not getting anything out of it. However, consider that your continuous involvement and experience might help create more publications more quickly.

Haven’t decided yet. Prob MD but you never know.
No pubs. MIGHT be possible but I doubt it.
Schedule is moderately busy. But I’d be working in a group for the new lab so it’d be a short amount of hours a week.

Don’t get me wrong. I love my current lab. And I agree with you.

I think undergrads getting their own projects is rare if I’m not mistaken... hoping I can still do well. What do you think I should do?

Members don't see this ad :)
More research + pubs would look good for MD/PhD, plus more time spent in that orgo lab meant better letter of rec from PI or the Prof, so that would be 2 reasons to stay. Also, if you just recently started to feel like this, I wouldn't jump to conclusions so quickly.

But, if it were me, I would leave. It sounds like you are more interested in the Genetics lab and if it sounds more fun than orgo, I wouldn't force yourself to be in an uncomfortable position any longer. However, I Would not leave in the middle of your project but rather finish it out. Additionally, if this has been an on going feeling rather than just recently, I'd say you've given enough time to try and have a change of heart.

From personal experience, I used to be in a lymphatics lab but hated it, then found an opportunity in an inorganic chemistry lab and loved it, to the point where I've gotten more freedom to do what I want, 2 pubs, poster presentation, and good letter of rec. I was in my lymph lab for about 1 year and my inorganic lab 1.5 years now.

Interestingly though, out of all my interviews for just MD, only 1 question from 1 interviewer at 1 interview asked me about research. Now, that doesn't mean that they aren't factoring in all your EC's when they review your app, but that tells me that it isn't critical to have research. It would definitely help if you want to head to a T20 where research is heavily emphasized, but from me and a close friend of mine (who does not have any research at all and had way more interviews than me) and if you had plenty of EC's as well and good grades/MCAT, I wouldn't worry about trying to rack up thousands of hours.

See the thing is, I'm still ambivalent about MD/PhD. I mean lets be real here... I'm NOT gonna have the MCAT score for the MD/PhD programs. My GPA will prob be around the 3.6/3.7 range but my MCAT score is NOT gonna be up to par with MD/PhD programs LOL

Yeah I'm VERY close with the professor AND the PI, and both have offered to write me a strong LOR. In addition to this, I didn't just recently start feeling like this. I do NOT dislike the research I do, (I really LOVE Chemistry. It's my true passion haha), so I'm doing really well and I enjoy every last bit of the project. I'm very VERY passionate about this project and I am looking at presenting at ACS next year... I enjoy every bit of the lab and look forward to it every single day. It's a lot of fun and I have a strong sense of freedom and individuality when completing tasks.

I ALSO LIKE the genetics professor and the lab. I'm in his lab class right now, but he also does research at the side. It's a lot of fun and I feel like it'd be cool to do research in his lab because the lab class is really cool. I just figured I'd do both if I could, because I really really like the genetics lab too. But I 100% enjoy and am passionate about the Orgo research. It is A LOT of fun for me and I really love the lab so...

The good thing is that most MD schools have degree plus programs, so you could earn an MS and have plenty of research that way! :) I am strongly considering that. If not, when you get into med school and are looking for research opportunities, you have so much experience to talk about when stating your case that I am sure a prof/researcher would be willing to take you on.

Since it sounds like you are passionate about both, how about you meet with the genetics lab prof/PI and explain your situation honestly! If you tell him/her that you want to be in two labs, he/she might assign you to a more manageable project in that genetics lab. Additionally, he/she might just be looking for students who could dedicate fulltime to the lab to time-consuming projects. And, I'm sure he/she could give you great advice on this decision. The same goes for the orgo lab prof, ask him/her the same things above and see what the thoughts are. Be ready to explain that you are very good with time management and would be able to handle working in two labs. If you are doing independent project in your orgo lab, your time might be more flexible, another talking point for the genetics lab.

Your profs/PI's seem to be pretty cool from my understanding from your post above, sound easy to talk to at least. Just be honest and they will understand. And, don't overwork yourself my friend; keep studying hard and being a well-rounded applicant!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I had 1 semester of research in a bio 2 lab that produced a poster. 10 II 3 A so far, II at research intensive schools. I didnt apply top 10 though

I had 1 semester of research in a bio 2 lab that produced a poster. 10 II 3 A so far, II at research intensive schools. I didnt apply top 10 though

Wow. That’s impressive! Lemme guess... 3.8 520 MCAT lol