More science coursework...?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ih8biochem

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm just curious, how much more different are the undergrad antatomy and physio, immunology, and genetics classes from the medical ones? My assumption is that they're VERY different since medical schools won't let you defer those courses if you've already taken them. Reason why I ask, I just graduated with a degree in English and am days away from an intervening year. My GPA is average (3.55) but made A's in all the medical pre reqs. I suspect that my lack in a strong science background may have kept me out this past application cycle but the fact that I don't have a lot of medical experience may have contributed more. Anyway, my plan was to work part-time as a nurses aide and take the undergrad classes listed above. I've spread myself pretty thin as an undergrad running around do premed stuff and I kind of want to just focus on one thing now. Now I'm considering just working fulltime at a carehome or doctor's office if those classes won't do my application any good. I'm genuinely interesting in learning more about those subjects but figure if I'm going to do them again in med school, why not just start juicing the bank account to pay for the tons of secondaries I still have to do. Your thoughts on post grads taking more science classes?

Members don't see this ad.

the people i know that have taken both say the anatomy learned in college is nothing compared to the one you will learn in medical school. if your BCPM is close to a 4.0 I dont think you have much to worry about. Maybe your ECs were pretty weak and thats why you got unlucky last cycle. I dont know what you got on your MCAT but if you had a good score......all you need to do is increase exposure to medicine.

Thanks, this sounds like good advice. I got a 30 MCAT but am also retaking in aug because of my low (8) bio score. BCPM is not that much off my cummulative though, because of a stint of misguided community college years. I calculated what my BCPM would be if I took these classes and got A's and it was something like a 0.02 bump, bummer. I was mainly going to take them for personal enrichment but if it won't hurt or help me significantly, then I'd just wait till medical school. Anyone else?

I took A&P and I am now in gross anatomy and they are like night and day. Unless your undergrad school made you learn all the muscles along with insertion, origin, action, and innervation...as well as the clinical correlation. Although I am glad that I did take it because at least part of the material makes sense and I wish I would have taken embryology.