more than I can chew? apply next year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NotShorty

~Mr. Bright Side~
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
In order to apply to med school this year, this summer I will be:

working part time at a plasma donation center
taking two classes (physics and human sexuality)
shadowing a doctor
completing primary application (essay not started yet)
study for and take the MCAT in august (didn't take it in spring)

Am I nucking futs?

I graduate this december, and would have 9 months off before starting med school. This feels like too short for me, but 17 months feels too long.

All input is greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

apply this summer if...
you're over 40 and don't have time to waste
you have tons of money so it doesn't matter whether you have to apply again next year
you have already learned most of the content tested on the MCAT
you are brilliant and can get by on 4 hours' sleep
you can add "completing my secondaries" to the above list without flinching

wait until next year if...
you want to save money and increase your chances by having time to put together a better application and study for a higher MCAT score

What about all your other info? Your GPA and past ECs?

If those are good then consider this.

If you don't need the money then drop the part time job. One summer job is not going to impress a adcom that much. And you will not have any experience at this job to talk about for the primary application. And you may now even have a significant experience for a secondary. If you really want to do this and like I said above don't need the money then just volunteer their once or twice a week.

You definately need to have physics but human sexuality? I would consider holding this off untli the school year. You could extend your undergrad into next spring and take this class.