Morehouse and Radiology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RALMD

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Being an Atlanta native, I would love to attend Morehouse for medical school as I have departed from my roots and now I attend N.C. A&T. However, I am concerned that if I attend Morehouse, I will not have the required clerkships in order to match in a radiology residency. I like to have options. Thanks for your advice!

Members don't see this ad.

Being an Atlanta native, I would love to attend Morehouse for medical school as I have departed from my roots and now I attend N.C. A&T. However, I am concerned that if I attend Morehouse, I will not have the required clerkships in order to match in a radiology residency. I like to have options. Thanks for your advice!

You will be able to obtain any residency from any medical school. Where you match is based on you and the work you put in, point blank and simple.

Good to the school where you fit best and do well and the residency of your choice will be well within your grasps.

As long as Morehouse is accredited by the LCME (which it is) you will learn the same information and basically go through the same types of rotations as you would at any othe rmedical school in the country. People from Morehouse match into mostly primary care specialities (but that is by choice mostly). But many also match into really competitive specialities like neurosurg and rad-onc. Your performance in medical school alone (and you networking skills) determines what residency you get into. Not the school. So if you love the school, go for it!

Members don't see this ad :)
I second (and third) the advice that was given above. You may also want to consider doing a visiting clerkship at a place like Mayo Clinic (Rochester, MN) or Johns Hopkins. While at these types of places, you can make a great impression and get some strong letters (and excellent experiences). I can tell you that radiology at Mayo is awesome. They have some cutting edge equipment and facilities.

Another great location to do a rads rotation is Beth Israel Deaconess in Boston. They have a strong research department and outstanding attendings that can mentor you. If you have done well in your coursework (no matter where you attended medical school), you can get the attention of these folks who will advise you even if there isn't a strong radiology mentor at Morehouse (likely there is).