Morehouse: Pre-hold Interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tenadrea

Tenadrea
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I received a letter from Morehouse stating that I have been put on pre-hold interview. Is it really bad?? :scared:

Anyone off the hold? How long did it take?

Members don't see this ad.

I was put on HOLD probably close to 3-4 months ago and no word yet.

Anyone hear anything back from Morehouse after interview. Especially people who interviewed in January.

Bracehead

Members don't see this ad :)
USArmyDoc said:

I don't understand what you mean by "put on hold". Does that mean wait listed? I interviewed Jan. 27th. They told me they'd get back to me mid-Feb. I haven't heard anything yet. Just curious.

GAdoc said:
I don't understand what you mean by "put on hold". Does that mean wait listed? I interviewed Jan. 27th. They told me they'd get back to me mid-Feb. I haven't heard anything yet. Just curious.

No, I was put on HOLD pre-interview. What don't you understand so I can clear it up? :)

USArmyDoc said:
That sucks. :rolleyes:

I have to say though that they did make it clear in the letter though that they do reject people. Therefore, I don't think it is a "meaningless" hold.

I am also on pre-interview hold...just curious are any of you GA residents?

TrulyBlessed said:

I'm a Georgia resident. I loved Morehouse and wish I had applied last year. I just didn't really consider it for some reason. It seems like a great school with a great reputation. What do yall know about it, and what seems to be your impression? I haven't seen a lot of opinions on SDN. I'd be interested in hearing what others have to say.

Also, I think I misunderstood what usarmydoc wrote. I assume they meant they received a letter putting them on hold before they were offered an interview. Is that the case?

TrulyBlessed said:

I am from Minnesota.

GAdoc said:
I'm a Georgia resident. I loved Morehouse and wish I had applied last year. I just didn't really consider it for some reason. It seems like a great school with a great reputation. What do yall know about it, and what seems to be your impression? I haven't seen a lot of opinions on SDN. I'd be interested in hearing what others have to say.

Also, I think I misunderstood what usarmydoc wrote. I assume they meant they received a letter putting them on hold before they were offered an interview. Is that the case?

Yep, you are correct. NY here

I'm a GA resident. I interviewed at Morehouse in October, and got waitlisted in the middle of December, even though Dr. Roaf assured us we would have decisions by Thanksgiving. For those of you who were told six weeks, don't count on it. I also called a couple of times and was told letters were going out "within the next week" only to have to wait another three weeks to finally hear something.....and I got waitilisted.

About the school, I have a few friends who are MS1's, and they LOVE the school. I was really really impressed by it during my interview. Everyone's so friendly and attentive, and professors are really available to and interested in the students.

That's my two cents. I just hope I get off the waitlist because I'm as sure as I could be that Morehouse would be a great fit for me.

GAdoc said:

bump

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone heard from Morehouse that interviewed in December? I interviewed Dec 16 and was told mid-feb...everytime I call (for the last 3 weeks), i keep getting the same answer: letters will be sent out in the next 2 weeks

Tenadrea said:
I received a letter from Morehouse stating that I have been put on pre-hold interview. Is it really bad?? :scared:

I've been on hold since December and have not heard from them at all.

Waiting112 said:
I've been on hold since December and have not heard from them at all.

I truly feel sorry for all you who interviewed back in December and still haven't heard. I interviewed in late Jan. and was told mid-Feb. I e-mailed Dr. Roaf last Friday and he said letters go out this past Monday. Monday was presidents day. I live like 1 hour from the school, so if I don't get something today...I'm gonna, I'm gonna, I'm gonna....just keep waiting like everyone else cause there's not a DANG thing I can do about it. As soon as I know anything though, I'll post. In the meantime, what have yall heard about the school? Particularly, does the wait list move at all? Some schools only offer acceptances to as many as they have seats in the class. At these schools, the wait list moves a lot. Other schools, overbook and the waitlist rarely moves. What do yall know?

GAdoc said:
I truly feel sorry for all you who interviewed back in December and still haven't heard. I interviewed in late Jan. and was told mid-Feb. I e-mailed Dr. Roaf last Friday and he said letters go out this past Monday. Monday was presidents day. I live like 1 hour from the school, so if I don't get something today...I'm gonna, I'm gonna, I'm gonna....just keep waiting like everyone else cause there's not a DANG thing I can do about it. As soon as I know anything though, I'll post. In the meantime, what have yall heard about the school? Particularly, does the wait list move at all? Some schools only offer acceptances to as many as they have seats in the class. At these schools, the wait list moves a lot. Other schools, overbook and the waitlist rarely moves. What do yall know?

I also interviewed in January and when I called to check on some other stuff, they told me that they thought decisions would go out by the end of February. :luck: :luck: :luck: GL to all of us!

GAdoc said:

I'm pretty sure they overbook. I was waitlisted last year and, obviously, never heard anything. I haven't heard about people getting in through their waitlist that often. MCG on the other is infamous for people getting in through the waitlist. Pretty much everyone I know who goes there got off their waitlist. Oh well...guess we all have to keep waiting for Morehouse.

Tallulah said:
I'm pretty sure they overbook. I was waitlisted last year and, obviously, never heard anything. I haven't heard about people getting in through their waitlist that often. MCG on the other is infamous for people getting in through the waitlist. Pretty much everyone I know who goes there got off their waitlist. Oh well...guess we all have to keep waiting for Morehouse.

bump...anyone hear anything? My mail gets routed to me b/c of address forwarding. :(

GA Girl said:
bump...anyone hear anything? My mail gets routed to me b/c of address forwarding. :(

O.K., I don't know WHAT the deal is, but I live in Macon (only an hour from Atlanta) and mail should not take three days to reach me. Mail from home (in North Georgia) only takes two days! All I can conclude is that letters didn't go out like they said. They were supposed to be sent Monday...ok, the mail didn't run then, so Tuesday. I should've gotten something. Makes me mad...even though it will probably only be a waitlist letter. Let me know when yall hear!

I applied to the regular pool in November after applying EDP last year. After my interview last year I was rejected and not rolled over into the regular applicant pool. A couple of weeks ago I was put on pre-interview HOLD. I am hoping that I will get an invitation for an interview.

mdwilson said:
I applied to the regular pool in November after applying EDP last year. After my interview last year I was rejected and not rolled over into the regular applicant pool. A couple of weeks ago I was put on pre-interview HOLD. I am hoping that I will get an invitation for an interview.

MDWILSON,

Good luck to you man. I know how frustrating this is. From your Mercer post, I saw this is your third time. Hang in there. At my rejection interview with Mercer's dean of admission last year, he told me that he knew of a couple students with terrible credentials that the committee finally let in after about 3 or 4 years simply (as he put it) to not have to look at their application any more! Mercer is BIG on dedication to the school. I really liked Morehouse as well. It has many similarities to Mercer (other than a different curriculum). Plus 3rd year clerkships at Grady would be AWESOME! Also consider GA-PCOM. It's in Gwinett County. I don't know how much you know, but it is an osteopathic program. I applied and was accepted there. If you would ever consider being a D.O. I recommend this. PM me and I'll tell you anything you want to know about it. It seems like a great program that is VERY similar in every way to Mercer.

GAdoc said:
MDWILSON,

Good luck to you man. I know how frustrating this is. From your Mercer post, I saw this is your third time. Hang in there. At my rejection interview with Mercer's dean of admission last year, he told me that he knew of a couple students with terrible credentials that the committee finally let in after about 3 or 4 years simply (as he put it) to not have to look at their application any more! Mercer is BIG on dedication to the school. I really liked Morehouse as well. It has many similarities to Mercer (other than a different curriculum). Plus 3rd year clerkships at Grady would be AWESOME! Also consider GA-PCOM. It's in Gwinett County. I don't know how much you know, but it is an osteopathic program. I applied and was accepted there. If you would ever consider being a D.O. I recommend this. PM me and I'll tell you anything you want to know about it. It seems like a great program that is VERY similar in every way to Mercer.

Definitely apply to GA-PCOM. I LOVE the school and have found (through much research) that in many ways, it is better than Morehouse. Although it is really really new, it has the potential to be a really amazing medical school.
So....anyone hear from Morehouse? I live about 40 minutes from the school, so if they didnt' lie about when they were sending out letters, I should hear from them today...

Tallulah said:
Definitely apply to GA-PCOM. I LOVE the school and have found (through much research) that in many ways, it is better than Morehouse. Although it is really really new, it has the potential to be a really amazing medical school.
So....anyone hear from Morehouse? I live about 40 minutes from the school, so if they didnt' lie about when they were sending out letters, I should hear from them today...

I was disappointed to not have any letters waiting for me today. In fact, I broke my own precedent and called the admission office. They told me "some" letters had been sent out today. I have no idea if that means rejections, acceptances, wait-lists, etc. That is basically all I was told. So if anybody gets anything...please let all us other hopefuls know!

GAdoc said:
I was disappointed to not have any letters waiting for me today. In fact, I broke my own precedent and called the admission office. They told me "some" letters had been sent out today. I have no idea if that means rejections, acceptances, wait-lists, etc. That is basically all I was told. So if anybody gets anything...please let all us other hopefuls know!

hmmmmm....i thought they sent all their letters out at the same time...so they sent them out on Friday? I hope the "some letters" meant the people who interviewed 10 weeks ago (you know...like me!) well..still waiting...maybe next week

I just recieved a letter saying that I was put on hold pre-interview. I am concerned because isn't it pretty late to be put on hold? What exactly does hold mean? Has anyone actually gotten rejected from morehouse or do they just put everyone in the "hold" category and send out one big mass rejection letter to everyone at the end of their application process? Does anyone know?

monijah said:
I just recieved a letter saying that I was put on hold pre-interview. I am concerned because isn't it pretty late to be put on hold? What exactly does hold mean? Has anyone actually gotten rejected from morehouse or do they just put everyone in the "hold" category and send out one big mass rejection letter to everyone at the end of their application process? Does anyone know?

They say they reject so I would assume people get rejected. Either way, best thing to do is send updates and just wait.

Anyone hear anything morehouse today MOnday Feb 27. This is especially post interview. Still waiting, but running out of patience.

Gadoc any news man

Morehouse has spoken post interview for those who interviewed dec, jan. Good luck to you all. They sent letters early last week.

Sansfrontier said:
Morehouse has spoken post interview for those who interviewed dec, jan. Good luck to you all. They sent letters early last week.

Dr. Roaf had told me they were sending letters out to post-interview applicants early last week. Monday was President's Day so I wasn't surprised not to have anything until about Thursday. But when there was nothing waiting for me Friday, I called the office. One of the admission councelors even said "some" letters had gone out that day (Friday). Well, I still didn't have anything even yesterday. I live an hour from the school! I've e-mailed Dr. Roaf again to see what the deal is. Maybe they only send out acceptances and roll everyone else over to the next decision time. If anyone's heard...please let me know!

GAdoc said:
Dr. Roaf had told me they were sending letters out to post-interview applicants early last week. Monday was President's Day so I wasn't surprised not to have anything until about Thursday. But when there was nothing waiting for me Friday, I called the office. One of the admission councelors even said "some" letters had gone out that day (Friday). Well, I still didn't have anything even yesterday. I live an hour from the school! I've e-mailed Dr. Roaf again to see what the deal is. Maybe they only send out acceptances and roll everyone else over to the next decision time. If anyone's heard...please let me know!

OK, so I couldn't wait. Not having a letter yesterday was too much for me. So I called the admission office again today. The lady I talked to told me they were still working on letters. She said some were sent Friday, some yesterday, and some will be sent today. She didn't say that was all that were being sent either. Who knows what the real deal is. But when yall get yours, just let us all know. I'll do the same!

Thank you for the updates. I will certainly let you know if I get a letter.

GAdoc said:
OK, so I couldn't wait. Not having a letter yesterday was too much for me. So I called the admission office again today. The lady I talked to told me they were still working on letters. She said some were sent Friday, some yesterday, and some will be sent today. She didn't say that was all that were being sent either. Who knows what the real deal is. But when yall get yours, just let us all know. I'll do the same!

GAdoc said:

I hope today is good news for us GADoc

GA Girl said:
I hope today is good news for us GADoc

So what's the word? Did anybody have a letter waiting for them today? I didn't. Has anybody else called? We need to put some pressure on these people. I want to know something!

Tenadrea said:

Hi there,
My interpretation of "pre-interview hold" is that they intend to interview you but are overbooked at present. If they are on rolling admissions, this means that there are still spaces in the incoming class but they are making decisions on those people who have already interviewed. Once they have sent out letters: acceptance, wait-list or rejection, they are likely to invite you for interview.

Even though it is the beginning of March, it is still not very late in terms of schools that have rolling interviews. They may interview as late as June or July and accept up to the first day of orientation. Their motive is to get the class filled with the best applicants possible.

The big movement day is May 15th. After May 15th, an applicant may not hold more than one acceptance. They may hold a waitlist and an acceptance but not two acceptances. It is reasonable to expect that on March 1st, there are applicants to Morehouse that are holding an acceptance or multiple acceptances that are waitlisted elsewhere and may hold onto that Morehouse acceptance until the last minute.

Being on "pre-interview hold" is better than holding a rejection letter. Again, March, April and May are busy months for schools with rolling acceptances as the non-rolling schools fill their classes and waitlist folks. Try to remain positive and work on your Plan B. Plan B is what you will do if you do not get into medical school this year. It always works out that the more elaborate your Plan B, the greater your chances of getting in.

Good luck!
njbmd :)

njbmd said:
Hi there,
My interpretation of "pre-interview hold" is that they intend to interview you but are overbooked at present. If they are on rolling admissions, this means that there are still spaces in the incoming class but they are making decisions on those people who have already interviewed. Once they have sent out letters: acceptance, wait-list or rejection, they are likely to invite you for interview.

Even though it is the beginning of March, it is still not very late in terms of schools that have rolling interviews. They may interview as late as June or July and accept up to the first day of orientation. Their motive is to get the class filled with the best applicants possible.

The big movement day is May 15th. After May 15th, an applicant may not hold more than one acceptance. They may hold a waitlist and an acceptance but not two acceptances. It is reasonable to expect that on March 1st, there are applicants to Morehouse that are holding an acceptance or multiple acceptances that are waitlisted elsewhere and may hold onto that Morehouse acceptance until the last minute.

Being on "pre-interview hold" is better than holding a rejection letter. Again, March, April and May are busy months for schools with rolling acceptances as the non-rolling schools fill their classes and waitlist folks. Try to remain positive and work on your Plan B. Plan B is what you will do if you do not get into medical school this year. It always works out that the more elaborate your Plan B, the greater your chances of getting in.

Good luck!

Wow, this was really helpful. Personally, I was a little confused about it.

njbmd said:
Hi there,

Good luck!

Thanks for all the information. Trying to be positive here.

Tenadrea said:
Thanks for all the information. Trying to be positive here.

OK, I didn't get the letter first. I got an e-mail from the financial aid office that instructed me to fill out the fiancial aid form. It stated that the e-mail was being sent to all accepted and waitlisted applicants. So of course I was freaking out as to which it was! I called the office and told them I wanted to know my status. The guy told me I was wait listed. I got my letter this afternoon when I got home and checked the mail. So since Morehouse overbooks, I don't know how many will get off the list, but at least it wasn't a rejection. Anybody else want to share something? Anybody who knows someone to get off the wait list? Let me know and good luck to all!

GAdoc said:
OK, I didn't get the letter first. I got an e-mail from the financial aid office that instructed me to fill out the fiancial aid form. It stated that the e-mail was being sent to all accepted and waitlisted applicants. So of course I was freaking out as to which it was! I called the office and told them I wanted to know my status. The guy told me I was wait listed. I got my letter this afternoon when I got home and checked the mail. So since Morehouse overbooks, I don't know how many will get off the list, but at least it wasn't a rejection. Anybody else want to share something? Anybody who knows someone to get off the wait list? Let me know and good luck to all!

I'm just curious if anyone else heard anything from Morehouse? I got my letter yesterday (placing me on the waitlist). Surely someone else did as well. So now let me ask, who knows someone who got in off the waitlist? Did they do anything to increase their odds? I've sent a letter of intent to the school to update my file. Any other suggestions?

I know a few M1s at Morehouse, and they said today was the last day of interviews. Sorry if that's disappointing to people who haven't gotten an invite yet. Of course, my friends may be wrong. I'm wait-listed (interviewed in Oct.) and one of my friends got in off the waitlist last year. He found out in May, but I don't think he did anything to increase his chances.

Hope that helps. I've got my fingers crossed for sure. I definitely loved this school.

:)

Wow! So you heard that Morehouse is not interviewing anymore that is REALLY REALLY disappointing. I just recieved my pre-hold letter two weeks ago. Why would they send out hold letters if they already knew that they were finishing up interviews?

monijah said:
Wow! So you heard that Morehouse is not interviewing anymore that is REALLY REALLY disappointing. I just recieved my pre-hold letter two weeks ago. Why would they send out hold letters if they already knew that they were finishing up interviews?

monijah (and everyone else), i strongly urge you to give the office of admissions a telephone call, just to ascertain that this is true. During the application process, there are so many statements going around, especially when it comes to interviews :)

You can never be certain that something is 100% true unless you get authentic confirmation from the Office of Admissions itself :)

Just a thought..

GAdoc said:
OK, I didn't get the letter first. I got an e-mail from the financial aid office that instructed me to fill out the fiancial aid form. It stated that the e-mail was being sent to all accepted and waitlisted applicants.

I got the same email, but I interviewed February 17th. I don't think I am supposed to hear this soon, right? They said I should hear around mid-March. Should I take the email to mean that a letter is in the mail for me, or did they send it to everyone?

SaturdayDwarf said:
I got the same email, but I interviewed February 17th. I don't think I am supposed to hear this soon, right? They said I should hear around mid-March. Should I take the email to mean that a letter is in the mail for me, or did they send it to everyone?

Just bumping the thread, b/c no one answered my question. Does anyone know??

SaturdayDwarf said:
Just bumping the thread, b/c no one answered my question. Does anyone know??

Hey, the wording on my e-mail said something about how it was being sent to accepted/wait-listed students. I think it was in poor taste of them to send the e-mail until they were sure all the applicants had received the letters. I freaked out cause I didn't know if I had been accepted or wait-listed. So I called the office. They told me my letter was on its way. Luckily they did tell me I had been wait-listed. My letter came the same day. I'd assume if you got the e-mail your letter is on its way. But they're pretty open to you calling and asking.

I just called the admissions office. Apparently all final decisions have been made. The receptionist was under the impression that all decisions had been mailed, but when she checked into my file she saw that my notice was still there. She said it will be mailed by the end of the week. I wonder why they don't just mail everything out at once.

So, anyway, if you haven't heard yet you will soon. Has anyone who interviewed on or after February 17th heard yet?

SaturdayDwarf said:
I just called the admissions office. Apparently all final decisions have been made. The receptionist was under the impression that all decisions had been mailed, but when she checked into my file she saw that my notice was still there. She said it will be mailed by the end of the week. I wonder why they don't just mail everything out at once.

So, anyway, if you haven't heard yet you will soon. Has anyone who interviewed on or after February 17th heard yet?

So, does this confirms no more interviews? BTW, does anyone know if MSM accepts only the allotted number spots at a time and pulls people from the alternate list or do they overaccept based on historical activity? Just curious.

I called Morehouse today and they are done interviewing for the 2006 class. I was really upset becuase I don't understand why they would send a hold letter pre-interview if they already had their interview slots filled. Well, I am sure a rejection letter is sure to follow.

I just had three random questions about morehouse:

1) Do they have a second look weekend?

2) I read that they are 67% african american. Is that true? I don't remember seeing any students or fellow interviewers who weren't black while I was there.

3) For people have have already been accepted, did you get financial aid information with your acceptance or does that come later?

I'm so nervous. My letter is either in the mail or still sitting in the admissions office. Either way the decision is made, I just want to know! :scared: