Morning rph called in wat do

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Charcoales

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
If you are overnight rph and morning rph called in and youve called every other rph at the store and emailed the dm and scheduler, but havent heard anything... and it's a 24 hr store, and you are very tired making it dangerous because you are pulling an 18 hr shift, and you cant get a hold of the mid shift to come in early, can you shut the place down early? Will they fire you if you?

Members don't see this ad.

Call pharmacy manager or district supervisor and get them to work or find someone to relieve you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The PIC has to come in if they can't find anyone. You can close the gate and leave if you want but it'll put a target on your back. They can find other petty ways of firing you.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
The PIC has to come in if they can't find anyone. You can close the gate and leave if you want but it'll put a target on your back. They can find other petty ways of firing you.
I feel this is true, so much for being with family today (planned this several weeks ahead too, going to be a zombie this week off...) :*(

I feel this is true, so much for being with family today (planned this several weeks ahead too, going to be a zombie this week off...) :*(

Yup that's the reality of working in a 24 hr store. Put yourself in the dayshifts shoes, if the overnight calls out then they are screwed too.

That's why I try to never call out, and if my partner does I try to help him out by covering him and he does the same for me.

Reactions: 1 user
Not the same thing but when i floated overnights i was called once or twice by the scheduler to go fill in and open another store until the replacement could get there. I basically told the new store flat out that i wasnt planning on being nice to people if they were mean, because although i was opening it i was opening it a good 30 minutes late by the time relief came into the 24 hour store and i drove over there, and they were like ok whatever if someone is mean we will deal with them. It helped I had a good enough reputation with this store for them to know this wasnt typical behavior for me and that i was really ticked off/tired/just wanting to go home. So I mean i would probably call the float scheduler and the DM and tell them that you dont feel it is safe,nor should you, to work 18 hour shifts and also tell them that you probably wont be the happiest face for customers. Petty and childish but in my experience effective.

:smack:
People wonder why the profession has gone down the tubes.
Have some guts.

They're ignoring you because you're acting like it's your problem. In reality, it's their problem.

Text the DM, "I am having a family emergency: store is about to go dark. I notified PIC"

Or- be honest, text them "I am drowsy and continuing to work would be a safety issue for myself and patients. I notified PIC. The store is going to go dark by __:__"
You'll get a call within 5 minutes, I guarantee you

Reactions: 10 users
when I worked overnights, I didn’t know the alarm code or have a key to the pharmacy, so if that’s the case your options are limited. I’d probably just give a 24 hour wait time and hand the mess off.

If you are overnight rph and morning rph called in and youve called every other rph at the store and emailed the dm and scheduler, but havent heard anything... and it's a 24 hr store, and you are very tired making it dangerous because you are pulling an 18 hr shift, and you cant get a hold of the mid shift to come in early, can you shut the place down early? Will they fire you if you?

If I'm the overnight shift person and morning shift calls in, I'll start blasting the district supervisors phone to get their ass in to work and that I'm walking out exactly at 8am.

Reactions: 1 users
I've never heard it phrased that way "called in." I thought it was always "calling out" if you're not gonna show up. Just curious if this is a regional thing...tomatoes...toemattos...kinda thing.

I've never heard it phrased that way "called in." I thought it was always "calling out" if you're not gonna show up. Just curious if this is a regional thing...tomatoes...toemattos...kinda thing.

I’ve always heard “called in.” Short for “called in sick.” Never heard “called out”...

I’ve always heard “called in.” Short for “called in sick.” Never heard “called out”...

This is a somewhat silly way to derail a thread but FWIW I have heard it both ways. Calling out could be short for "calling out of work" I guess. I hear Called Out more often than I hear Called In, come to think of it.

Great question...If you want to have a semi-successful corporate retail career, just think like a corporate type. If you are able to help the team and get paid, why not?

This has actually happened to me a few times. I just kept working, have the scheduler do her job, quit whining. Submit your time to the scheduler and make sure you get paid the OT rate. Heaven forbid you have to stay 4 hours later and gross 300 dollars.

Members don't see this ad :)
Great question...If you want to have a semi-successful corporate retail career, just think like a corporate type. If you are able to help the team and get paid, why not?

This has actually happened to me a few times. I just kept working, have the scheduler do her job, quit whining. Submit your time to the scheduler and make sure you get paid the OT rate. Heaven forbid you have to stay 4 hours later and gross 300 dollars.

OP worked 18 hours, is that even legal? What if you have to drop off kids at school, have a doctor appointment, have plans, etc. It's not whining.

Luckily the later-in-the-day rph came in early and the scheduler found someone to cover the later shift. Close call, was so relieved when that rph came in!

At the busy 24/7 stores there used to be 2 day rphs. One came in at 8am and the other came in at 10am. on the weekends though only 1 rph daytime and scheduler would be unavailable so that would be tricky. But with saturation it is rare that they would have trouble finding rph. I do recall around 2010 there used to be 24/7 kroger pharmacies and the night shift was closed one night because night rph was sick and no one could cover.

No way I would keep working if I didn't want to. I was scheduled for X shift, I can help out if I am available but I'm not staying if I have a family function. What if you had to pick up kids from daycare or something. This is not your issue. Might as well open your own store in that case. You can't work for a corporation and then care like it's your own business. They will feast off that mindset.

Luckily the later-in-the-day rph came in early and the scheduler found someone to cover the later shift. Close call, was so relieved when that rph came in!

Wait, so you didn't work 18 hours? You're just making up a scenario to be dramatic?

Well was considering the worst case scenario to prepare myself :/

First the shopback thread and now this. You need to chill and stop worrying about things that don't matter.

OP worked 18 hours, is that even legal? What if you have to drop off kids at school, have a doctor appointment, have plans, etc. It's not whining.
Legal? You are seriously thinking it might be against the law to work 18 hrs?

Legal? You are seriously thinking it might be against the law to work 18 hrs?

Depends on the state. The legal limit in MA is 12 hours according to 247 CMR.

odd life you all have there.....I just can't imagine an actual law telling me I'm not allowed to keep working

First the shopback thread and now this. You need to chill and stop worrying about things that don't matter.
Yeah just very stressed right now. Work load has been insane and I feel expectations are impossible to meet. If they keep pressuring me to stay after my shift to 'clean up' I'm gonna bail I think. Oh well.

I would've never gone to college if my dad would've been limited to 12hour work days in the oil field.

I owe him so much

I think I’m gonna enjoy being a civilian in a few months...

15 hour days has been my norm with the occasional 24 hour security duty (with a 12 hr break afterwards).

Interesting, maybe it's a millenial thing? I've always heard "called in", until the past few years, and now people say "call off" or "call out." Called in makes more grammatical sense to me (the call was incoming, it came into the pharmacy, the employed called in to the pharmacy, John Doe called in today) I don't get the "call off" or "call out" thing, but it doesn't really matter, whatever you want to call it, it means more work for the other people scheduled that day (and even more for the ones not scheduled and asked to come in to fill in.)

I think I’m gonna enjoy being a civilian in a few months...
15 hour days has been my norm with the occasional 24 hour security duty (with a 12 hr break afterwards).

Just remember, that is state dependent. There's no legal limit in IL.

Interesting, maybe it's a millenial thing? I've always heard "called in", until the past few years, and now people say "call off" or "call out." Called in makes more grammatical sense to me (the call was incoming, it came into the pharmacy, the employed called in to the pharmacy, John Doe called in today) I don't get the "call off" or "call out" thing, but it doesn't really matter, whatever you want to call it, it means more work for the other people scheduled that day (and even more for the ones not scheduled and asked to come in to fill in.)

Yea, I was just curious if it was a regional thing.

Is there a successful corporate pharmacist? You must be a new grad. Play the corporate role and all you will be used and burn out. Calling someone a "whiner" and minimizing their concerns is abusive, irresponsible and immature. What can you do for op's customers if op makes a mistake due to overwork?

OP do what I did. I gave my relief about 15 minutes to show up because people are late. When no one showed up, I locked up. Managers took their responsibility to ensure coverage at the end of my shifts more seriously. No shows will happen for a variety of reasons on all shifts. Use common sense your responsibility is your shift. Follow state law if there is one and company policy and procedure. When it comes to being fired, if a company wants a pharmacist gone they need no reason, so their is no sense in worrying about that. Pick your battles.

Use common sense your responsibility is your shift. Follow state law if there is one and company policy and procedure. When it comes to being fired, if a company wants a pharmacist gone they need no reason, so their is no sense in worrying about that. Pick your battles.

Exactly. For most of us in retail our days are numbered, as in days until involuntary separation. We won't get to choose favorable terms of separation anyway so WGAF

Is there a successful corporate pharmacist? You must be a new grad. Play the corporate role and all you will be used and burn out. Calling someone a "whiner" and minimizing their concerns is abusive, irresponsible and immature. What can you do for op's customers if op makes a mistake due to overwork?

OP do what I did. I gave my relief about 15 minutes to show up because people are late. When no one showed up, I locked up. Managers took their responsibility to ensure coverage at the end of my shifts more seriously. No shows will happen for a variety of reasons on all shifts. Use common sense your responsibility is your shift. Follow state law if there is one and company policy and procedure. When it comes to being fired, if a company wants a pharmacist gone they need no reason, so their is no sense in worrying about that. Pick your battles.

Success is highly subjective but I would consider my corporate career and result a success (I probably do not need to work any longer). While I am not a complete corporate sell out, I do enjoy my corporate wages and tolerate the work-life balance. Doing a 8-10 at CVS grossing just under 1K wasn't too bad...

Success is highly subjective but I would consider my corporate career and result a success (I probably do not need to work any longer). While I am not a complete corporate sell out, I do enjoy my corporate wages and tolerate the work-life balance. Doing a 8-10 at CVS grossing just under 1K wasn't too bad...

I am sorry to see that your success as a pharmacist does not include helping people.