Most Chill, easiest, safest Caribbean Medical School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pharmadentist

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello All,

So I've been exploring the Pre-Med track a bit, and I had this question which I hope could be answered.

It seems like Caribbean Medical schools achieve their residency matches and what ever success they have by a process of weeding out students, like for example, Saba school of medicine. Other medical schools like SGU, Ross, or AUA don't seem to be as intense in terms of weed-out, but are known to be extremely stressful.

Now my question is, what is the most laid back Caribbean Medical School, with a safe campus and location. Which caribbean medical schools tend to have all students who enter (or most) graduate, pass USMLE, but also is extremely laid back and chill.

Not saying I want to go to that school (or any caribbean med school at all for that matter), but I'd like to know.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

If I had to choose a Caribbean school to go to because someone is going to shoot me if I don't, I would probably choose AUC because it's got the most amenities that we are accustomed to in the US.

However, let's look at your criteria:

1. Laid back - none of them. No one wound up here by choice. Those who are laid back are those who fail out.

2. Safe campus and location. Probably AUC.

3. Have most or all graduate (let's also assume match into a residency spot). None of them SGU probably has the best track record, but even generous estimates suggest that only 75% of students who enter match into a residency with more conservative estimates at around 50-60%. Those are not favorable odds for a several hundred thousand dollar bet.

Why would you like to know?

Reactions: 4 users
Hello All,

So I've been exploring the Pre-Med track a bit, and I had this question which I hope could be answered.

It seems like Caribbean Medical schools achieve their residency matches and what ever success they have by a process of weeding out students, like for example, Saba school of medicine. Other medical schools like SGU, Ross, or AUA don't seem to be as intense in terms of weed-out, but are known to be extremely stressful.

Now my question is, what is the most laid back Caribbean Medical School, with a safe campus and location. Which caribbean medical schools tend to have all students who enter (or most) graduate, pass USMLE, but also is extremely laid back and chill.

Not saying I want to go to that school (or any caribbean med school at all for that matter), but I'd like to know.

Thanks!
All Carib schools do this. If they didn't, they would all have match rates in the 20-30%s because many students don't have the chops to succeed and get suckered into paying 1-2 years of tuition before being forced out.

Asking what the most chill and easy Carib school is kind of like asking what kind of food poisoning should I get that has the best experience. While there are levels of diarrhea that will result, it's all, at its core, a steaming pile of ****.

Reactions: 12 users
Members don't see this ad :)
No such thing as relaxation at med school even if you go abroad. Carribs even more so because you have to stay at the top to actualy survive.

Reactions: 1 users
Hello All,

Thanks!

Help me understand this. Why do you want to know more about Caribbean schools + stress levels + match rates + other factors? Why does any of this matter to you?

If you want to practice medicine in the US, your focus should be on getting into US MD and/or US DO schools. None of the rest matters (including Caribbean schools).

Don't go Carrib. If it honestly is your only option (you've applied MD and DO 3+ times and been unsuccessful) find another career

Hello All,

Thanks!

There's a joke in here somewhere.

Might as well go to Poland for med school.
I hear Warsaw is a pretty chill place this time of the year.

Reactions: 5 users
If I had to choose a Caribbean school to go to because someone is going to shoot me if I don't...

Heck, actually, maybe I'd just take the bullet instead of choosing...

Did you just quote and respond to yourself? All you have to do now is ban yourself and you'd really be breaking the fourth wall

Reactions: 26 users
Thanks everyone! I really appreciate the responses. There was really no joke in my post, and it was actually a genuine question. I don't know, I was just curious.

Best wishes to all of you.

Members don't see this ad :)
There's a joke in here somewhere.

Might as well go to Poland for med school.
I hear Warsaw is a pretty chill place this time of the year.

Oh my god this is hilarious. I have a friend in Krakow's Jagiellonian U who I need to tell this joke to right. now.

If you want a vacation in the caribbean, I suggest taking a week in the Dominican Republic. The resorts, beaches, and the drinks there hit the spot.

If you want to be a doctor in the USA then I'd steer clear of the Carribbean

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
This feels like one of those sly ads.

Why study in the cold when you can study in the Caribbean?

Like, they can't even spell Caribbean.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    17.9 KB · Views: 156
Only clicked on this thread to laugh at the comments

Wasn't disappointed :)

Haha so I guess this wasn't such a great question. I gather that all the offshore Medical schools are hard, will be stressful, and will push their students.

Saw the thread title and assumed trolling. Not trolling? :wow:

Saw the thread title and assumed trolling. Not trolling? :wow:
Nope. But I realized how sensitive this topic seems to be amongst Pre-Medical and medical students, as well as Physicians.

As far as i know, life at a Caribbean school is cutthroat as hell and you'll be worried 100% of the time regardless of where you are because the slightest mess-up can ruin your career.

Nope. But I realized how sensitive this topic seems to be amongst Pre-Medical and medical students, as well as Physicians.
your prospects of actually obtaining a residency will be limited, your probability of completing the program will be limited, and you may end up with 200k in debt with no ability to practice medicine. These schools tend to prey upon the uninformed, or ridiculously hopeful.

i have a friend that goes to one of the Carrib schools and his is defnintely not "chill". It's stressful af no matter what school you go to. I have not met one person who has ever been able to say they coasted through medical school, and if you do find someone that says so, they're completely lying.

But he does say the environment is weird there. It's very different from the US. Also EVERYONE comes from money and some have extremely interesting backgrounds. Luxury cars everywhre, yachts everywhere.
At AUC, it's a full 8-9 hour day everyday. The stress builds up a lot. Apprently during the spring semester, the stress increases and, I quote, "the whole place turns into a huge **** fest / orgy". Nobody gives a **** about that awkward first couple months where people discuss "who is talking to who". anymore. All they do is study and bone. And on an island filled with rich kids, there's probably going to be a lot of attractive students.

Double post

Last edited:
Something not often discussed-- even if you DO land a residency and try to enter a practice it seems you will likely end up laughed out of whatever region you're in unless you're the only physician for like 50 miles. Everyone's heard of "that fake doctor that went to Granada or something" in passing.

Something not often discussed-- even if you DO land a residency and try to enter a practice it seems you will likely end up laughed out of whatever region you're in unless you're the only physician for like 50 miles. Everyone's heard of "that fake doctor that went to Granada or something" in passing.
I dont think this is necessarily the case. Plenty of Doc's from overseas practice everyday in almost every hospital in america. Private practice in population dense area's also works. The general public may make fun of you , but you will still land patients.

Obviously not true. My brother graduated from SGU and is a 3rd year Pathology resident at a reputable institution and will be starting a fellowship in Cytopathology at a great university next year. Noone he works with cares that he went there.

I dont think this is necessarily the case. Plenty of Doc's from overseas practice everyday in almost every hospital in america. Private practice in population dense area's also works. The general public may make fun of you , but you will still land patients.
Obviously not true. My brother graduated from SGU and is a 3rd year Pathology resident at a reputable institution and will be starting a fellowship in Cytopathology at a great university next year. Noone he works with cares that he went there.

Sorry to be naive. Maybe it's oddly frequent where I live? I've even heard this claim made regarding local doctors it doesn't even actually apply to, but I've never known a legitimate Carib graduate.

It appears I've been " owned "

Sorry to be naive. Maybe it's oddly frequent where I live? I've even heard this claim made regarding local doctors it doesn't even actually apply to, but I've never known a legitimate Carib graduate.

It appears I've been " owned "
Its an easy meme to fall into, afterall even if the Caribbean schools ahve a 50% residency placement that means there are residents from those schools in the hundreds all over america. Look up your local hospital that has a residency program and look at the internal med or family practice residency doctors and go through their CV's you will in all likelihood find Caribbean grads, unless its something like MGH.

Definitely not the case. I've worked with several docs who went off shore. One from India, three went to school in England, one went to school in Italy, and I know at least three docs who went to SGU. None of them have any problems landing patients and not a single other doc ever brought up their med schools.

Edit: I see I've been beaten to the punch.

This is not true, and quite frankly, arrogant, uninformed, and insensitive. I have met Caribbean doctors who are now practicing in the USA, and while you are entitled to your opinion, these doctors are well respected and no one cares where they went for Medical School. Keep in mind that these students were willing to take a huge gamble, move to a random Island in the Caribbean, and make huge sacrifices to get where they are. To me, that entitles respect for them.

"Fake Doctor"? As a Pre-Medical student yourself (or even if you were an actual Physician for that matter) you have no right to call a practicing Doctor - who went through a minimum of three years of stressful residency training, four years of weed-out medical school in the Caribbean, and all the sacrifices associated with that - a fake. That is wrong. Despite the fact that Caribbean medical students probably went there since they couldn't get into a US Medical school, their resolve to make huge sacrifices to not let that shatter their dreams must be respected.

And quite honestly, the general public is really not that aware of medical education to rush to judgements to call Physicians fake.

Reactions: 3 users
This is not true, and quite frankly, arrogant, uninformed, and insensitive. I have met Caribbean doctors who are now practicing in the USA, and while you are entitled to your opinion, these doctors are well respected and no one cares where they went for Medical School. Keep in mind that these students were willing to take a huge gamble, move to a random Island in the Caribbean, and make huge sacrifices to get where they are. To me, that entitles respect for them.

"Fake Doctor"? As a Pre-Medical student yourself (or even if you were an actual Physician for that matter) you have no right to call a practicing Doctor - who went through a minimum of three years of stressful residency training, four years of weed-out medical school in the Caribbean, and all the sacrifices associated with that - a fake. That is wrong. Despite the fact that Caribbean medical students probably went there since they couldn't get into a US Medical school, their resolve to make huge sacrifices to not let that shatter their dreams must be respected.

And quite honestly, the general public is really not that aware of medical education to rush to judgements to call Physicians fake.

As far as i know, life at a Caribbean school is cutthroat as hell and you'll be worried 100% of the time regardless of where you are because the slightest mess-up can ruin your career.
That's very true. Thanks for the insight.

Indeed. Sackler has a great program.
Why would you take the gamble though? Why not just fix the problem in the app and apply afterwards?
200k is a lot of money to gamble with.
The effort and time and energy required to fix an application pales in comparison to what would be required to get through a Caribbean program and obtain a residency, and if primary care is what is desired DO is a much more optimal path.

The risk reward doesn't make sense to me.

Last edited:
Did you just quote and respond to yourself? All you have to do now is ban yourself and you'd really be breaking the fourth wall
He is channeling his inner Jim Henderson.
-Jim Henderson.

"the whole place turns into a huge **** fest / orgy". Nobody gives a **** about that awkward first couple months where people discuss "who is talking to who". anymore. All they do is study and bone. And on an island filled with rich kids, there's probably going to be a lot of attractive students.
200.gif

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
I was getting upset at a future physician wanting to coast and go to a "chill school." Then I read that the user is pre-pharmacy and chuckled. That explains it.

I was getting upset at a future physician wanting to coast and go to a "chill school." Then I read that the user is pre-pharmacy and chuckled. That explains it.
Haha. But I'm actually Pre-Dentistry and have already been accepted

Having said that, I question your knowledge about Pharmacy School given that the Pharmacology and Upper Level courses such as Pharmcokinetics are not as simple to "coast" by. I would say that your post seriously makes me doubt the authenticity of your claim as a Medical Student. I only know of utmost respect between doctors and pharmacists in regards to each others training, due to the overlap that sometimes occurs in having to take common subjects.

On another note, asking a question on an SDN forum to contribute to the general knowledge of the community is not a bad thing. There are some jobs that I know of that an MD (without a residency), would be advantageous to career and salary wise (I know this from industry experience as an intern). If someone wants an MD, they can just go to the place where it is easiest to get. This happens in MBA programs a lot.

Last edited:
as I've said often, before considering any offshore school applicant must go through at least two application cycles for both MD and DO with at least a year break in between (ie skip a cycle) for application repair and/or enhancement. the break is necessary to analyze and understand the weaknesses in an application. Repair may be as simple as reorganizing rewriting application or it may require postbacc, SMP, MCAT, or additional extracurricular such as clinical volunteering and other items. I strongly advise that no student should consider off shore schools until the above has been done.

But all off-shore schools are not the same. Sackler is atypical in many respects, particularly in residency. Of a class of 63 (which is their max) they match or place usually 60. However, I would say Sackler is as competitive as any mid-tier school. Part of the reason is that some orthodox Jewish students, many of which I have dealt with here in NYC, will consider it a number one choice (often they apply to only Einstein, Sackler, and the Touros). In comparison, the corporation that owns Ross medical school, DeVry, noted in a stockholder presentation, that they have the capacity for 1800 students a year. Lets say they only start 1600 students a year, their match/placement in residency is typically a little more than 800. You do the math. BTW, DeVry stock price is just under $30 a share (ticker symbol DV NYSE). That is where your student loans go

In short, Sackler is not a safety school that will take anybody.
I agree.

Why would you take the gamble though? Why not just fix the problem in the app and apply afterwards?
200k is a lot of money to gamble with.
The effort and time and energy required to fix an application pales in comparison to what would be required to get through a Caribbean program and obtain a residency, and if primary care is what is desired DO is a much more optimal path.

The risk reward doesn't make sense to me.
I'm not so informed but I thought (and could be wrong), that Sackler graduates are basically treated on par as domestic graduates due to the unique way their partnership works. I would consider it, to some extent, just another US medical school in some ways. Their match statistics are quite decent.