most competitive DO schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

evoviiigsr

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I can't seem to find this, but what are some of the most competitive DO schools out there?

I have a 3.28 overall GPA (about same for science), and a hypothetical 29-33 on the MCAT, where would I be competitive? I also want a "guarantee" DO school just in case MD doesn't work out.

BTW, I live in AL.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I can't seem to find this, but what are some of the most competitive DO schools out there?

I have a 3.28 overall GPA (about same for science), and a hypothetical 29-33 on the MCAT, where would I be competitive? I also want a "guarantee" DO school just in case MD doesn't work out.

BTW, I live in AL.

Thanks!

No offense, but your stats are not spectacular to have a guaranteed admission anywhere. a 3.28 overall GPA is nothing to be boasting about.

Secondly, if your heart is set out to be an MD, you might seriously be disappointed by going to a DO school only because you didn't get into an MD school.

Have you thought about a SMP or post-bacc? just wondering.

As for your question, refer to this link.
http://www.kcom.edu/faculty/chamberlain/ranmcat.htm

BTW, I live in AL.

Thanks!

I'm going to tell it to you straight. Not to be all "dark-cloud," or anything, but there is really no such thing as a guarantee in the application process. Furthermore, I do not think going to DO schools with an attitude of using them as some sort of back-up school is the most optimal approach.

In regard to your question, it really depends on what you mean by "competitive." Are you talking about average MCAT/GPA for a matriculant, or what? Being more "competitive" doesn't necessarily equate to being a better school, because "better" depends on more things than average numbers, including what your personal criteria happens to be. I suggest you broaden your examination of schools past average numbers and other types of so-called admissions standards. You are looking for the best program that fits you.

There are average statistics and other information available for the individual schools for your analysis. Do as much research as reasonable. Do your best to know the schools in which you intend on applying. Lastly, I would not recommend applying to a school you would not attend.

Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm going to tell it to you straight. Not to be all "dark-cloud," or anything, but there is really no such thing as a guarantee in the application process. Furthermore, I do not think going to DO schools with an attitude of using them as some sort of back-up school is the most optimal approach.

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

No offense, but your stats are not spectacular to have a guaranteed admission anywhere. a 3.28 overall GPA is nothing to be boasting about.

Secondly, if your heart is set out to be an MD, you might seriously be disappointed by going to a DO school only because you didn't get into an MD school.

Have you thought about a SMP or post-bacc? just wondering.

As for your question, refer to this link.
http://www.kcom.edu/faculty/chamberlain/ranmcat.htm

I put "guaranteed" in quotes for a reason.

The thing about post-bacc is, I don't want to waste a year and not be accepted if I reapply. Are chances significantly improved if you do well?

I put "guaranteed" in quotes for a reason.

The thing about post-bacc is, I don't want to waste a year and not be accepted if I reapply. Are chances significantly improved if you do well?

that's a very good concern. the other side of that would be, would you rather go to a post-bacc then go to med schoool OR just keep applying and keep on getting rejected?

That's something you'll have to figure out for yourself. However, i think it's a step ahead of where you're at right now.

I say that because well, quite simply, you haven't taken to the MCATs yet. You said you were aiming for a 28-33, however, you wanting to get that score is quite different from actually achieving that score. So study hard, and do your best!

If it so happens that you're not granted admission this cycle, then I would seriously think about either 1) retaking MCATs and/or 2) Post-bacc/SMP.

Doing well in a post-bacc does increase your chances of being accepted into a medical school. It will show ADCOM's dedication and moreover, it will show them that you can handle the workload and also you'll get a glimpse of what it is to be a med student.

I was accepted to 3/5 DO schools I completed applications at with a 3.24/32 MCAT.

I got 0/12(or so) MD interviews.

Take that for what it's worth.

There are many other aspects that they consider...extracurriculars, clinical experience, research, etc...

I agree -- there are no guarantees.

Furthermore, if you are using DO as a backup you may never be happy with it... Personally, I am very familiar and impressed with the work that DOs do and have not experienced any significant difference in practice between DOs and MDs which is why I applied to both. Furthermore, some of the DO schools have better clinical prep, imho.

PCOM, for example, was higher on my list than quite a few of the MD schools to which I applied.

There are many other aspects that they consider...extracurriculars, clinical experience, research, etc...

I agree -- there are no guarantees.

Furthermore, if you are using DO as a backup you may never be happy with it...

yeah what he said! :D

by the way maximus, i'm still waitlisted at PCOM. the waitlist hasn't moved thsi summer so oh well i guess.

They told me that i was "accepted" but there's just no room for me. BLAH! haha

yeah what he said! :D

by the way maximus, i'm still waitlisted at PCOM. the waitlist hasn't moved thsi summer so oh well i guess.

They told me that i was "accepted" but there's just no room for me. BLAH! haha

Blah, I'd say their loss but I think it's mine and the c/o 2011's loss now... That sucks man -- they messed up!

Where will you be heading then?

Blah, I'd say their loss but I think it's mine and the c/o 2011's loss now... That sucks man -- they messed up!

Where will you be heading then?

haha First, I love your statment, "From MS-0 to MS-Hero". :D made me laugh. haha.

but yeah if you remember, i was going through that whole struggle between an established school versus a new school. Well, when it comes down to it, and all factors included (including family), i chose the new school. So Touro-Ny. I think it'll be ok since the curriculum's based on a working system from other schools. Moreover, I know myself and I know that I'll just have to push myself alil further to make sure i'm ready for boards. :D but i'll let you know if anything changes at PCOM.

Does the fact that I got to a small liberal arts college help my GPA out any?

Does the fact that I got to a small liberal arts college help my GPA out any?

negligible difference. fix your attitude.

i applied this past year with a 3.39GPA and 32MCAT and got 1 DO and 1 MD interview and was only accepted to the DO school.

Members don't see this ad :)
and a hypothetical 29-33 on the MCAT

:laugh:

Classic.

Some practice tests boost your confidence?

How about a hypothetical "Sorry but we cannot grant you acceptance to our medical school at this time" letter?

Dont worry. With your attitude Im sure you will find a suitable backup career.

:laugh:

Classic.

Some practice tests boost your confidence?

How about a hypothetical "Sorry but we cannot grant you acceptance to our medical school at this time" letter?

Dont worry. With your attitude Im sure you will find a suitable backup career.

I'd say that my "hypothetical score" was more than fair considering my range is 30-36 on AAMCs 3-10. That's a pretty large sample size.

I don't know why this thread has turned into a flame war, just because I would rather do MD than DO, don't be offended. Come to think of it, I'd rather do an SMP than be in classes with a bunch of people holding a grudge for being accepted into an MD school.

I'd say that my "hypothetical score" was more than fair considering my range is 30-36 on AAMCs 3-10. That's a pretty large sample size.

I don't know why this thread has turned into a flame war, just because I would rather do MD than DO, don't be offended. Come to think of it, I'd rather do an SMP than be in classes with a bunch of people holding a grudge for being accepted into an MD school.

I don't think most folks here harbor any ill-will towards those who prefer to attend allopathic medical schools. I'm most definitely proud of my choice, but I'd say that the distinguishment doesn't matter much in the long run, when we are practicing physicians. We are, in fact, doing the same job and are colleagues; for the most part, there is mutual respect. I think what most folks are trying to say is that if you would rather attend an allopathic medical school, then do whatever you can to make it so. It doesn't make sense to apply to a school you would rather not attend. You are less likely to be happy doing that. Just my 2 cents.

I think it is your attitude more than anything that has drawn the previous remarks, I dont think many people care if you choose MD or DO or vice versa, but saying things like, "what school will I get a guarentee acceptance" does make people sorta irritated (especially since they have gone through the frustrations of applying). I was told by an MD adcom member who said they denied a guy with a 3.8gpa and 35 mcat because of his "personality". So you are really in no position for any guarantee, especially if you feel you deserve one with your stats.

Your reason to attend a DO school is not genuine. What would you expect? If you got into the school you wanted and then someone came in and said in an insulting manner it was their "last choice" how would you react?

I liked both MD and DO. I liked DO a lot more. Each DO school I interviewed at was leaps ahead. I applied to both because I wanted to be a physician. And an MD and a DO yields the same result in the end. I consider neither to be superior or better to the other, but equal.

You are coming in with an attitude of superiority. Your GPA is not stellar and you "projected" MCAT is not solid, you haven't taken it. You could get a 45 on the practice and bomb the real one. Good practice tests mean nothing if you do poorly on the actual test.

You came in here with an attitude of arrogance. To be frank you didn't have the credentials to back up that attitude because all we know of your credentials is a mediocre GPA.

I don't think most folks here harbor any ill-will towards those who prefer to attend allopathic medical schools. I'm most definitely proud of my choice, but I'd say that the distinguishment doesn't matter much in the long run, when we are practicing physicians. We are, in fact, doing the same job and are colleagues; for the most part, there is mutual respect. I think what most folks are trying to say is that if you would rather attend an allopathic medical school, then do whatever you can to make it so. It doesn't make sense to apply to a school you would rather not attend. You are less likely to be happy doing that. Just my 2 cents.

i agree with this. you obviously don't want to go to an osteopathic school. so just do everything you can to get into an allopathic school. simple as that.

Post-bacc, SMP, or whatever.

Furthermore, i think we're just trying to point out that your practice AAMC MCAT scores may not be a representation of what you will actually get. And although, you've been scoring consistently on your practice exams, when it comes down to the real thing, you may not achieve your score range. Stating that, all we're saying is that "Hypothetical" is just another word for uncertainty. You won't know until you take it and receive your score. It may be higher, it may be lower. But your hypothetical scores are useless when it comes down to giving you any type of advice or guidance.

negligible difference. fix your attitude.

i applied this past year with a 3.39GPA and 32MCAT and got 1 DO and 1 MD interview and was only accepted to the DO school.

Okay I have a 3.39 and a 31 and now I'm terrified. :( Where did you apply?

I think it is your attitude more than anything that has drawn the previous remarks, I dont think many people care if you choose MD or DO or vice versa, but saying things like, "what school will I get a guarentee acceptance" does make people sorta irritated (especially since they have gone through the frustrations of applying). I was told by an MD adcom member who said they denied a guy with a 3.8gpa and 35 mcat because of his "personality". So you are really in no position for any guarantee, especially if you feel you deserve one with your stats.

that's a really good point. remember, its not all about stats and numbers. If you come out as an arrogant pompous idiot during your interview, they will reject you no matter what your stats.

that's a really good point. remember, its not all about stats and numbers. If you come out as an arrogant pompous idiot during your interview, they will reject you no matter what your stats.

The most competitive DO school is the one that rejects you pre-interview... :smuggrin:

Otherwise, there is no "guaranteed" admission, just as there is no way to guarantee an admission to an allopathic med school. This is medical school, not a used car lot.

jd

BTW, I live in AL.

Thanks!

The word "competitive"does not apply to D.O schools. The bible says ask and it shall be given. In this case, apply (even without a D.O letter) and you shall be accepted.

The word "competitive"does not apply to D.O schools. The bible says ask and it shall be given. In this case, apply (even without a D.O letter) and you shall be accepted.

Just don't listen to this guy. He does not know what he is talking about.

If you would rather be a MD than a DO, be an MD. Why settle for something you don't really want?

Are you really curious as to why your comments like "I also want a "guarantee" DO school just in case MD doesn't work out" have started a flame war?

If so, good luck getting into/staying in medical school.

I use to take your posts seriously arsene but now I just think you will post almost anything just to get a rise in ppl. Are u getting bored with SDN? Are being sarcastic?

To OP, if the school requires a DO letter and you apply, believe me you will not get accepted, contratry to what arsene says ;)

Thats exactly what I think...:)

BTW, I live in AL.

Thanks!

What a NEWBIE. :hardy:

A rude awakening lies ahead with regard to the MCAT and the "numbers game". The training "flavor" is of little consequence at this point.
Guarantees? Please.

Good Luck.

***WARNING: Speed Bump Ahead*** :eek:

says the pre-med who has not started medical school yet. Were you not applying to D.O. schools this year? So now that your going to be a 1st year at an allo school its ok to start bashing osteopathic medicine? What a looser:cool:

says the pre-med who has not started medical school yet. Were you not applying to D.O. schools this year? So now that your going to be a 1st year at an allo school its ok to start bashing osteopathic medicine? What a looser:cool:

That is unnecessary cos it's all a joke.

BTW, I live in AL.

Thanks!

DO schools are more interested in medical experience and personality than stats. You would be less competitive at any of the out-of-state private schools.

The only "guarantee" you have is that you will receive some rejection letters.

"guarantee DO school incase MD doesn't work out ..." WOW. I don't want to be a jack@$$, but saying stuff like that in a DO forum is not only dumb, but will get you no real advice. However, this is probably just a troll so whatever. Good luck with your MD career, I hope it works out and you don't have to 'settle' for a fake, loser degree like a DO. I really have absolutely no problem with MD, I think DO and MD programs are equally as great, but arggg if this is real its so lame. Hope you're doing it for someone else and not you!! This = true happiness, and the type of doctor we all really need. ( sorry for the rant, this just pissed me off)

If you would rather be a MD than a DO, be an MD. Why settle for something you don't really want?
I would rather go to Stanford or Harvard than the school I am going to, but it just isn't in the cards. See what I'm getting at here?

I would bet that somewhere between 25-75% of current DO students would have gone to an MD school given the option.

You have to do what you think is best for yourself based on what opportunites are presented to you.

Are you really curious as to why your comments like "I also want a "guarantee" DO school just in case MD doesn't work out" have started a flame war?

If so, good luck getting into/staying in medical school.
Yes, we get it... DOs don't like to have their schools/degrees knocked. And I'm not saying that people should continually mock/bash DOs -- despite what many here on SDN seem to want. But to act so very defensive about it doesn't bode well for you DOs as a group.

Yes, we get it... DOs don't like to have their schools/degrees knocked. And I'm not saying that people should continually mock/bash DOs -- despite what many here on SDN seem to want. But to act so very defensive about it doesn't bode well for you DOs as a group.

Hey, you can't spell "Doctor" without "D-O"! :p

I would rather go to Stanford or Harvard than the school I am going to, but it just isn't in the cards. See what I'm getting at here?

I would bet that somewhere between 25-75% of current DO students would have gone to an MD school given the option.

You have to do what you think is best for yourself based on what opportunites are presented to you.

It's just pathetic how some people are so desperate to please their parents, or whatever else, by becoming a Doc that they look at a DO degree as a last ditch effort to salvage their lives. If these freak outs took the time to research the degree they would realize that it has every advantage that an MD degree holds. It just amazing to me the reasons why people want to go into medicine. I have no problem with people wanting the MD behind their name, but it just bothers me that no one seems to care about doing it for the love of medicine or helping others. It's also frusturating to currently be a pre-med working my ass off for something, just to hear some d bag asking how to guarantee a DO degree just incase all else fails. No one is being over defensive, we are all just working towards something better; and don't need to be bashed by misinformed people.

My MCAT score was a hypothetical 40....until I actually took the test and got a measly 32.

It's my theory that the practice MCATs are purposely easier to keep you motivated and feeling like you have it down so you can go in there confident. All of my friends, including myself, consistently scored 4-5 points higher on our practice tests than the real sucker.

I got anywhere from 33-37 on my 5 practice tests and ended up with a 32, so don't "expect" a 29-33 just because you are nailing the practice exams.

PS...I want to see someone post in the allo thread asking which MD schools are lowest tier just in case they dont' get into the DO school of their choice. :laugh:I GUARANTEE that that thread would be a bigger flame war than this...

It's just pathetic how some people are so desperate to please their parents, or whatever else, by becoming a Doc that they look at a DO degree as a last ditch effort to salvage their lives. If these freak outs took the time to research the degree they would realize that it has every advantage that an MD degree holds. It just amazing to me the reasons why people want to go into medicine. I have no problem with people wanting the MD behind their name, but it just bothers me that no one seems to care about doing it for the love of medicine or helping others. It's also frusturating to currently be a pre-med working my ass off for something, just to hear some d bag asking how to guarantee a DO degree just incase all else fails. No one is being over defensive, we are all just working towards something better; and don't need to be bashed by misinformed people.

if you are secure in the DO degree being equal in caliber to an MD degree, then this shouldn't be a problem. Even within the MD ranks there are desperate attempts to make oneself feel better than another. this applies to everything in life...someone always has to be better.

PS...I want to see someone post in the allo thread asking which MD schools are lowest tier just in case they dont' get into the DO school of their choice. I GUARANTEE that that thread would be a bigger flame war than this...

:D that would be interesting...ive never seen thus far tho

if you are secure in the DO degree being equal in caliber to an MD degree, then this shouldn't be a problem. Even within the MD ranks there are desperate attempts to make oneself feel better than another. this applies to everything in life...someone always has to be better.

I am secure in the DO degree, as do I understand competition within the medical profession; neither of these are my concerns. What bothers me is people who have done no research regarding the DO degree assuming it is a safety net for MD rejects. I don't want to start a flame war over it, or try to voice myself in an attempt to change public perception, but I do wish someone who would even think of applying to a DO school would at least know what the degree was. When I first starting hearing about DO from sleuthing MDapps, I came here and got some basic facts, investigated them further, and realized that it fits my ideals perfectly. I guess you can't change some things in life though, but I would love to see the OP answering a 'why DO' or 'what attracted you to Osteopathic medicine' question in an interview. To each his/her own ...

if you are secure in the DO degree being equal in caliber to an MD degree, then this shouldn't be a problem.

This is EXACTLY what I was getting at. Thank you for making my point better than I could.

This is EXACTLY what I was getting at. Thank you for making my point better than I could.

That point is 100% valid, but see my above post for why the OP's request is still irritating.

PS...I want to see someone post in the allo thread asking which MD schools are lowest tier just in case they dont' get into the DO school of their choice. :laugh:I GUARANTEE that that thread would be a bigger flame war than this...

Hah! You laugh but Temple medical is a backup for me to PCOM!
No joke. Actually, lol, it's not even a backup. I was just telling a buddy, you couldn't get me to go to an allopath school, I just think a solid musculoskeletal foundation is too important to me. Harvard students tend to agree on that point, too. I don't think they're ready to jump ship, mind you, but check this out:

Title: Musculoskeletal medicine: an assessment of the attitudes and knowledge of medical students at Harvard Medical School.
Author(s): Day CS; Yeh AC; Franko O; Ramirez M; Krupat E
Author's Address: Musculoskeletal Curriculum, Harvard Medical School, Orthopedic Hand Surgery, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, Boston, Massachusetts 02215, USA. [email protected]
Source: Academic Medicine: Journal Of The Association Of American Medical Colleges [Acad Med] 2007 May; Vol. 82 (5), pp. 452-7.
Publication Type: Journal Article
Language: English
Journal Information: Country of Publication: United States NLM ID: 8904605 Publication Model: Print Cited Medium: Print ISSN: 1040-2446 (Print) Subsets: Core Clinical (AIM); MEDLINE
MeSH Terms: Self-Evaluation Programs*
Curriculum/*standards
Education, Medical, Undergraduate/*standards
Musculoskeletal Diseases/*diagnosis
Orthopedics/*education
Students, Medical/*psychology
Attitude; Boston; Cross-Sectional Studies; Data Collection; Diagnosis, Differential; Educational Measurement; Humans; Musculoskeletal Diseases/physiopathology; Physical Examination; Program Evaluation; Questionnaires; Schools, Medical
Abstract: PURPOSE: To assess medical students' knowledge and clinical confidence in musculoskeletal medicine as well as their attitudes toward the education they receive in this specialty. METHOD: A cross-sectional survey of students in all four years of Harvard Medical School was conducted during the 2005-2006 academic year. Participants were asked to fill out a 30-question survey and a nationally validated basic competency exam in musculoskeletal medicine. RESULTS: The response rate was 74% (449/608). Medical students rated musculoskeletal education to be of major importance (3.8/5) but rated the amount of curriculum time spent on musculoskeletal medicine as poor (2.1/5). Third-year students felt a low to adequate level of confidence in performing a musculoskeletal physical examination (2.7/5) and failed to demonstrate cognitive mastery in musculoskeletal medicine (passing rate on competency exam: 7%), whereas fourth-year students reported a similar level of confidence (2.7/5) and exhibited a higher passing rate (26%). Increasing exposure to the subject by taking clinical electives resulted in greater clinical confidence and enhanced performance on the exam (P < .001). Students' feedback suggested that musculoskeletal education can be better integrated into the preclinical curriculum, more time should be spent in the field, and more focus should be placed on common clinical conditions. CONCLUSIONS: These findings, which are consistent with those from other schools, suggest that medical students do not feel adequately prepared in musculoskeletal medicine and lack both clinical confidence and cognitive mastery in the field. Implementing a four-year integrated musculoskeletal curriculum is one way that medical schools can address this concern.
Entry Date(s): Date Created: 20070425 Date Completed: 20070606
Update Code: 20070607
PMID:

RESULTS: The response rate was 74% (449/608). Medical students rated musculoskeletal education to be of major importance (3.8/5) but rated the amount of curriculum time spent on musculoskeletal medicine as poor (2.1/5). Third-year students felt a low to adequate level of confidence in performing a musculoskeletal physical examination (2.7/5) and failed to demonstrate cognitive mastery in musculoskeletal medicine (passing rate on competency exam: 7%), whereas fourth-year students reported a similar level of confidence (2.7/5) and exhibited a higher passing rate (26%). Increasing exposure to the subject by taking clinical electives resulted in greater clinical confidence and enhanced performance on the exam (P < .001). Students' feedback suggested that musculoskeletal education can be better integrated into the preclinical curriculum, more time should be spent in the field, and more focus should be placed on common clinical conditions. CONCLUSIONS: These findings, which are consistent with those from other schools, suggest that medical students do not feel adequately prepared in musculoskeletal medicine and lack both clinical confidence and cognitive mastery in the field. Implementing a four-year integrated musculoskeletal curriculum is one way that medical schools can address this concern.

what a novel idea...;)

Hah! You laugh but Temple medical is a backup for me to PCOM!
No joke. Actually, lol, it's not even a backup. I was just telling a buddy, you couldn't get me to go to an allopath school, I just think a solid musculoskeletal foundation is too important to me. Harvard students tend to agree on that point, too. I don't think they're ready to jump ship, mind you, but check this out:

Apart of you has the correct idea while apart of you doesn't. I just wish everyone would get over this whole MD is better than DO and/or vice-versa. It's not about which is better. In the end, you're physicians who go out there "changing the world". Patients are going to be more interested in the first two letters of your name than the last two and I guarantee you that they'll be more impressed with your work etiquette and references of those who know you.

We, as part of the medical community, should not be taking shots at each other. Instead we should be working together, don't you think? Truthfully, out of all my years volunteering and working with DO and MDs, this issue never once came up. And truthfully, the only people who insist on making it this big of a deal is current pre-meds and med students.

To set the record straight, DOs and MDs are physicians. It's simple as that. You can't take anything away from the other as they both go through excruciating pain to get to where they are.

The main point is one should go into either MD or DO because they believe in it's ideology and it's what they want out of their medical profession. You would never just marry the prostitute on the corner as a "backup" because you can't find someone to spend the rest of your life with? Likewise, this should not be just a Backup as it is your career and your life. Have pride in what you do and the fact that you change lives. Furthermore, as you would not marry that prostitute because you would never be happy with your choice, if you're not completely satisfied with Osteopathy and what it stands for and you relate yourself more with allopathy, then do whatever it takes to get yourself in to an allopathic school! Best of Luck to all of you!

Apart of you has the correct idea while apart of you doesn't. I just wish everyone would get over this whole MD is better than DO and/or vice-versa. It's not about which is better. In the end, you're physicians who go out there "changing the world". Patients are going to be more interested in the first two letters of your name than the last two and I guarantee you that they'll be more impressed with your work etiquette and references of those who know you.

We, as part of the medical community, should not be taking shots at each other. Instead we should be working together, don't you think? Truthfully, out of all my years volunteering and working with DO and MDs, this issue never once came up. And truthfully, the only people who insist on making it this big of a deal is current pre-meds and med students.

To set the record straight, DOs and MDs are physicians. It's simple as that. You can't take anything away from the other as they both go through excruciating pain to get to where they are.

The main point is one should go into either MD or DO because they believe in it's ideology and it's what they want out of their medical profession. You would never just marry the prostitute on the corner as a "backup" because you can't find someone to spend the rest of your life with? Likewise, this should not be just a Backup as it is your career and your life. Have pride in what you do and the fact that you change lives. Furthermore, as you would not marry that prostitute because you would never be happy with your choice, if you're not completely satisfied with Osteopathy and what it stands for and you relate yourself more with allopathy, then do whatever it takes to get yourself in to an allopathic school! Best of Luck to all of you!

Right on! :thumbup:
My experience regarding this "situation" has been identical.

That point is 100% valid, but see my above post for why the OP's request is still irritating.

Is it your position then that nobody in your osteopathic med class failed to get an MD acceptance and just fell backwards into a DO program? Because I have a feeling that this is pretty common among DO programs. Please, please correct me if I am wrong (but only using actual verifiable stats, not "well my adviser says...").

I think a lot of DO students are like are OP... kinda clueless about the DO until they realize that they might not make it into an MD program. This is his/her first step and there will be many more along the way to his/her route to a DO acceptance letter (should that happen).

An just for the record, were there a polygraph hooked up to DO applicants when asked "Why D.O.?" many would answer "I couldn't get into an MD program."

I'm not bashing DOs... but we all know this is the truth, whether it hurts or not. I will have no qualms in my future career working with DOs, and I will treat them as equal to my MD counterparts. But the truth is the truth -- DO schools are WAY easier to get into than MD schools, so just let it go.

DO is better than MD for me, categorically so. I would know, I'm the one putting in the hundreds of hours researching to see what will be a personal fit over the past many months.
And as far as I've seen, you haven't lifted a finger yet to assist me in my progress, so how can you direct your comment in my direction? :smuggrin:

Basically, lighten up, your song is just as tired as the one you're reacting to. I think there's an intelligent conversation to be had about the DO-MD decision making process, but I wasn't intending to have one with my post, I was just responding to an earlier funny post. If you like, let's have one now

I think your "working girl" analogy to the osteopathic-allopathic
decision making process is equally distasteful

Status
Not open for further replies.