Most competitive residencies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nima123

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just curious which disciplines have been the most competitive in the US in the last few years.

In Canada, the super competitive ones (lowest match rate) have been Plastics, Derm, Ophtho, Urology and Radiology.

Members don't see this ad.

Just curious which disciplines have been the most competitive in the US in the last few years.

In Canada, the super competitive ones (lowest match rate) have been Plastics, Derm, Ophtho, Urology and Radiology.
Exact same in the US except ortho and ENT are also up there.

Members don't see this ad :)
There are no board exams in Canada and most schools are P/F. How do they differentiate candidates for the match?

The speed and accuracy of your slapshot with the number of moose heads hanging on your wall as a tiebreaker.

Based on lowest match rates as the sole criteria, the top 5 most competitive specialties to get a residency spot (US applicants applying though the NMRP included only) are: plastic surgery (53%), dermatology (70%), orthopaedic surgery (79%), ENT and neurosurgery (80% each).

There are no board exams in Canada and most schools are P/F. How do they differentiate candidates for the match?

Electives, interviews, research (and I guess some BS). My school is not pass/fail for clinical rotations, but I think our marks aren't that big a deal since most other schools are pass/fail and clinical evaluations are pretty subjective anyway.

As for mooseheads, I'm at a huge disadvantage!

So ophtho isn't as competitive in the US?
Isn't that because ophtho doesn't make as much money down there?

So ophtho isn't as competitive in the US?
Isn't that because ophtho doesn't make as much money down there?

No, ophtho is still a very competitive specialty in the US and their board scores are in line with the other supercompetitive specialties (plastics, ortho, dermatology)

The only difference between optho and say plastic surgery is that plastic surgery has only about 80 or so residency programs whereas ophtho has twice as many residency programs.

This is why I feel the match rate isn't exactly representative of how competitive a residency program is. Some specialties like plastics are competitive by virtue of the facts that there are only 80 residency programs available. Others like ortho and dermatology may have hundreds or more residency positions, but the applicants have the same board scores and class rankings as those applying to plastics.

No, ophtho is still a very competitive specialty in the US and their board scores are in line with the other supercompetitive specialties (plastics, ortho, dermatology)

The only difference between optho and say plastic surgery is that plastic surgery has only about 80 or so residency programs whereas ophtho has twice as many residency programs.

This is why I feel the match rate isn't exactly representative of how competitive a residency program is. Some specialties like plastics are competitive by virtue of the facts that there are only 80 residency programs available. Others like ortho and dermatology may have hundreds or more residency positions, but the applicants have the same board scores and class rankings as those applying to plastics.

Not to mention ophtho is often overlooked because the residency data isn't included with the NMRP data

Not to mention ophtho is often overlooked because the residency data isn't included with the NMRP data
Agreed. I came here to post the same thought. Also left out of kdburton's list is urology which is extremely competitive as well (and not included in the NRMP match data).

Based on lowest match rates as the sole criteria, the top 5 most competitive specialties to get a residency spot (US applicants applying though the NMRP included only) are: plastic surgery (53%), dermatology (70%), orthopaedic surgery (79%), ENT and neurosurgery (80% each).

Sure, but you cannot judge "most competitive" by match rate alone. Why? Because there is a lot of self-selection that prevents people from even applying to certain fields.

For example, there were four very competitive candidates in my graduating class (who matched at top IM programs) who wanted to do Rad Onc, but didn't even apply because either they didn't think their numbers were good enough or they did not have enough research experience/publications.

Based upon Step scores, research experiences, % AOA, MD/PhD, etc., I would rank them:
Plastics > Dermatology > Rad Onc > ENT > Neurosurgery

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Based upon Step scores, research experiences, % AOA, MD/PhD, etc., I would rank them:
No list is complete without ophtho, urology, and ortho. I think I would push neurosurgery down the list.

Sure, but you cannot judge "most competitive" by match rate alone. Why? Because there is a lot of self-selection that prevents people from even applying to certain fields.

For example, there were four very competitive candidates in my graduating class (who matched at top IM programs) who wanted to do Rad Onc, but didn't even apply because either they didn't think their numbers were good enough or they did not have enough research experience/publications.

Rad onc and neurosurg...really?

Rad Onc for sure. There is only like ~120 spots, 20% of people have PhDs, average Step 1 is 238 for matched applicants. Very research heavy specialty.
Yea, RadOnc is super competitive. And a very academic field too. In addition to the high Step scores, I remember reading in the RadOnc forum (I think) that the average applicant has around 8 publications/presentations or something along those lines! :eek:

rad onc is one of the best kept secrets!!!! it is hands down the best specialty ever!!!

shhhhhh don't say anything though. ;)

rad onc is one of the best kept secrets!!!! it is hands down the best specialty ever!!!

shhhhhh don't say anything though. ;)
Also, one of the most sleep-inducing specialties ever.

Connections, physical attractiveness and affability.

The OP specified "lowest match rate" as the criteria - I was just following the same vein. Also as others have stated I did not take ophthalmology or urology into account (again because I specified the NRMP). You can see much of the relevant statistics to answer this question in the following document: http://www.nrmp.org/data/chartingoutcomes2009v3.pdf

Also, one of the most sleep-inducing specialties ever.

it is one of the most intellectually gratifying fields. patients have good outcomes, extremely well paid, little call, super cool procedures,etc. At least its not sleep inducing....i've been awake for 48+ hours and still have 5 more to go...

Hahah loves the jokes responding to my post. Honestly though, I still don't get it. There are thousands of graduating med students every year, and lifestyle and salary are clearly not the same in Canada across specialties, so what's the deal? Does it really just come down to personal interest and some electives and connections here and there? Just imagine if that was the case in the US.

The OP specified "lowest match rate" as the criteria - I was just following the same vein. Also as others have stated I did not take ophthalmology or urology into account (again because I specified the NRMP). You can see much of the relevant statistics to answer this question in the following document: http://www.nrmp.org/data/chartingoutcomes2009v3.pdf

http://www.sfmatch.org/residency/ophthalmology/about_match/match_report.pdf

Optho avg - 236, 73% overall match rate, 91% for US seniors.

Optho is competitive but for US seniors it's not on the same level as derm, plastics, ENT, ortho, neurosurg, or urology in terms of match rate.

Derm (231 avg for unmatched US seniors, 23% AOA), 85% chance of matching with 250+ and Plastics (232, 14%) have to crack 250 just to have a 75%+ chance of matching are on a whole different level IMO. It is not uncommon for "all-star" applicants to go unmatched while in other fields 250+ has a match rate of >95% and AOA would push it to 100%. ENT is close but the quality of the applicants is a little bit lower. Don't know much stats about urology just that it's competitive. Rad Onc is a unique situation (see below)

I would put optho in the same tier as radiology in terms of match rate and avg step 1. (235-240, high 80's/low 90's match rate for US seniors)

Rad onc looks similar on paper but because it is a such a research driven small field, I imagine the average all-star candidate would have more difficulty matching in rad onc than in rads or optho because it is less about pure numbers.

Rad onc is very competitive, it's match rate is high due to self selection and not being mainstream. When more people find out about it I anticipate the sprouting of new residency programs won't be able to keep up with the interest and the match rate will drop.

it is one of the most intellectually gratifying fields. patients have good outcomes, extremely well paid, little call, super cool procedures,etc. At least its not sleep inducing....i've been awake for 48+ hours and still have 5 more to go...

Everything is sleep-inducing if you don't have an interest in it. In terms of money/lifestyle it competes with the best of the best though.