Most Cut-Throat Medical Schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KPstudent

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

As the 2017 AMCAS apps opened today, I'm really trying to nail down a list of where to go. My question is, what schools are the most cut-throat, which schools rank their students, etc. I am smart and went to a competitive undergraduate and do NOT want this kind of environment in med school. I am interested in applying to schools were students are cooperative and helpful but I will still get a top notch education.

Does anyone have any insight on which schools are the most internally competitive?

Members don't see this ad.

To answer that question, we'll probably need more information, such as your GPA, MCAT score, state of residence, and ECs, in order to determine schools that you will be competitive for.

My understanding is Pass/Fail preclinical curricula seem to decrease the degree competitiveness. You'll still be ranked at the end of your first two years but I hear it takes some of the pressure off the students. You could research which schools offer this curriculum, I suppose.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
As the 2017 AMCAS apps opened today, I'm really trying to nail down a list of where to go. My question is, what schools are the most cut-throat, which schools rank their students, etc. I am smart and went to a competitive undergraduate and do NOT want this kind of environment in med school. I am interested in applying to schools were students are cooperative and helpful but I will still get a top notch education.
The overwhelming majority of med schools have a collaborative atmosphere. However, there will be that donkey-hole no matter where you go. P/F schools may have less of these people, but it's not that huge of a difference in my opinion.

The best thing to do is to apply broadly, and then ask current students on your interview day these questions directly and see if they hesitate when answering. Sometimes it can be quite telling.

From what I remember, USC/Keck, Chicago/Pritzker, and Penn/Perelman had particularly welcoming student bodies.

Reactions: 1 users
Some places have a more donkey-rich environment than others.

Reactions: 5 users
Definitely check out Einstein

Most cut-throat: Cornell, WashU, and UTSW.

I've heard from several Johns Hopkins students that their school is cut-throat....then I heard from other students that it is fine.

I went to an undergrad that was competitive in that people worked really hard to be the best (but they wouldn't sabotage other students), and I just stayed away from those people. I think lots of med schools are comptetitive in the sense that students are striving to do their best, but I doubt any sabotage-like behavior would be tolerated by many students/schools

I think it's hard to get a clear answer and very few people say their school is competitive

My understanding is Pass/Fail preclinical curricula seem to decrease the degree competitiveness. You'll still be ranked at the end of your first two years but I hear it takes some of the pressure off the students. You could research which schools offer this curriculum, I suppose.
A few schools are true P/F with no internal ranking from pre clinical years

Reactions: 6 users
Lol I don't think Cornell is cut throat. Not any more. What makes you say they are?

Multiple friends who went there for med school.

Lots of gunnerish behavior including stealing other people's notes and rounding on their patients.

Lots of gunnerish behavior including stealing other people's notes and rounding on their patients.

Bet the patients love that

Members don't see this ad :)
Bet the patients love that
That was my thought too. They've transcended just gunning other students; now they're just hurting patients

I'd say that this is an important factor in your interview trail OP. You'll see which classes seem the way you like and which don't. It is tough to just spew online an unverified list that may or may not help you.

Tulane is P/F in the preclinical years and does not officialy rank its students, but it does compile the class in to quartiles during your 3rd and 4th year only for certification purposes. There is some sort of unnoficial rank for AOA purposes but its kind of ambiguous to try and keep the environment at coopertive as possible.

Reactions: 1 user
I've heard from several Johns Hopkins students that their school is cut-throat....then I heard from other students that it is fine.

I went to an undergrad that was competitive in that people worked really hard to be the best (but they wouldn't sabotage other students), and I just stayed away from those people. I think lots of med schools are comptetitive in the sense that students are striving to do their best, but I doubt any sabotage-like behavior would be tolerated by many students/schools

I think it's hard to get a clear answer and very few people say their school is competitive
There is really nothing cut-throat about Hopkins.

Both my parents went to Cornell Med and said it wasn't cut throat at all....

Reactions: 1 users

What does rounding on someone else's patients mean? Sorry I don't know how the hospital works.

Yale, because The Yale System.

Reactions: 2 users
UTSW is most definitely not cutthroat. Heck, we had people emailing out their notes, graphs and mnemonics before tests to help each other out. You should probably limit yourself to talking about places you have first-hand experience with.

How long ago was this? I assume 4+ years, and definitely not within the past 3 years. All the students I know literally post their notes online for everyone to use. There is no ugly competition. People may step on your toes once in a while, but thats nothing you won't experience in any professional environment. Plus, pass fail means that there is no reason to be competitive. Based on personal experience and those of other students who have gone through within the past 3 years, I would say your post does not reflect the nature of student interactions at Cornell during M1 and M2.

I can't say much for M3 and M4, except that people don't seem to be complaining.

Last edited:
That was my thought too. They've transcended just gunning other students; now they're just hurting patients

A doctor I know talks about doing this like a badge of honor, he was willing to go the extra mile to excel in rotations.

UTSW is most definitely not cutthroat. Heck, we had people emailing out their notes, graphs and mnemonics before tests to help each other out. You should probably limit yourself to talking about places you have first-hand experience with.

WashU either. I think it's dumb to speculate on schools that you personally haven't attended.

Meh we both know that the med schools listed above are notorious for being more "intense" and "competitive" compared to other schools.

That being said things certainly could have changed over the past few years.

Current M1 @ WashU here, def not cut throat. Starting this year, both M1 & M2 are P/F.

Reactions: 2 users