Most efficient study plan for anatomy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

echoyjeff222

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was hoping for some advice on 1) an efficient study plan and 2) specific resources (texts, review guides, videos, sites) that can provide the most efficient way of learning anatomy as an upcoming first year.

I plan on using Anki, but that's about all I have planned at the moment :)

I found this on SDN awhile ago, but is there anything more relevant (I think this post is a few years old). Thank you!

"1) Watch class lecture videos twice at 2x speed. Repetition is key.
2) Review relevant sections in Netters and Rohen's. Begin quizzing myself.
3) Go to lab during required dissectiontime. Ourlab never really followed the dissector enough to make reading it useful, so I would just wing it.
4) Watch relevant sectionof Acland DVD atlas2-3 times.
5) More quizzing with Rohens.
6) Go through all of the UMich questions/practicals
7) Review class lecture handoutsand watch videos again on 2x.
8) Go back to lab 2-3 days before practical and review. Find all testable structures on 4-5 bodies. They should all be pretty well dissected at this point so this doesn't take much time.
9) Review lectures/handouts leading up to test."

Members don't see this ad.

Essential anatomy 3D with the origin and insertion add on for iPad! I can't even tell you how paramount this was for my success.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Repetition and as much lab time as possible.

Reactions: 2 users
How exactly did you use this app?

Well I would point to a muscle/bone/tendon etc and try to name it from memory. I mean really name everything about it (origin, insertion, innervation, etc). I would quiz myself before lab and later that day. I pretty much tried to repeat this process as much as I could. Also, I believe this app has a quiz feature as well!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I was an anatomy TA during second year. This is the technique that I found worked best for students.

1.) Many trips to the anatomy lab
2.) Looking at another group's cadaver for the same structures
3.) After having a good idea of where structures are, then focus on learning the basic science/clinical/lecture content. You typically learn innervations/blood supply here.
4.) Only once you have this down, THEN focus on Action, Origins, and Insertions. Students typically get bogged down with AOI's, but they can typically be memorized with flashcards and are of little use once you finish the class. Innervation will remain important though.

Reactions: 1 user
I was an anatomy TA during second year. This is the technique that I found worked best for students.

1.) Many trips to the anatomy lab
2.) Looking at another group's cadaver for the same structures
3.) After having a good idea of where structures are, then focus on learning the basic science/clinical/lecture content. You typically learn innervations/blood supply here.
4.) Only once you have this down, THEN focus on Action, Origins, and Insertions. Students typically get bogged down with AOI's, but they can typically be memorized with flashcards and are of little use once you finish the class. Innervation will remain important though.
Are there any resources that can mimic trips to the anatomy lab? What do I focus on when in lab?

Are there any resources that can mimic trips to the anatomy lab? What do I focus on when in lab?

IMO, nothing really mimics going lab and having to dig for hours to find structures. For example, I will always remember where the thoracoacromial artery is just because it took forever to find it.

What you will have to focus on in lab varies by school. My school gave us a pdf lab guide with bolded structures, and we were responsible for knowing clinical significance of these structures and the actions, origins, insertions, blood supply, and innervations for all bolded muscles.

Marking this thread for the future. Thank you to everyone for your advice and suggestions.

I have nothing useful to add to this except to say I'd like to thank sweet baby Jesus that I never have to take anatomy again. Without question this was the most brutally time consuming and frustrating class to study for in all of medical school. Good luck to all you incoming MSIs.

-Sincerely, an MSII

Reactions: 1 user
Does your school have tutors? The best way I learned was to go to anatomy tutor mock practical and tutoring sessions. It helped me gauge where I was with my knowledge base. If I was lacking I almost always seemed out helped from others who I knew had the stuff down. Once I has a good grasp of the material id be sure to rotate through all the cadavers. I thought a good technique was to just open the bag and look without touching the body at first to simulate the practical exams. Idk..helped me out a lot.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

nothing really substitutes time in lab
it smells really bad but must be done

I have lots of tips about the stank part of things if you want

make sure you can find everything on at least 4-5 other cadavers than your own

if helps if you can learn the "landmarks" or other tips/mneumonics for figuring stuff out

what lets you tell one gray string from another is all relative, so yeah, learn those landmarks

ditto don't worry so much about AOI at first