CalDent

10+ Year Member
Dec 30, 2008
Status
Dental Student
Hi all,

Though I'm still holding some hope for this cycle, I am most likely gonna have to reapply next cycle. Please help me decide what I should do in this next year :)

My current situation:
-GPA: overall - 3.36, science - 3.23 (undergrad: UC Berkeley)
-DAT Score: TS - 19, AA - 20, PAT - 22
-Applied to 15 schools
-Application complete end of August due to a lagging LOR
-Interviewed at UCLA, BU, Pitt, UNLV, Western (all january onwards) and Midwestern (only pre-december)
-Rejected at Midwestern
-Waitilisted at UCLA, Pitt, Western
-Still waiting to hear back from UNLV and BU

So, I think the best way to improve my app is to do something about my sub-par GPA. I live in the sacramento area, and don't want to move away for a masters or formal post bac program. I want to live in this area if I have to spend next year re-applying. So, my options are limited to either CSU Sac or UC Davis.

I am wondering if I could just take some upper division classes at CSUS as an Open U student? Neither CSUS nor UC Davis have a formal post bac for dental students. If I were to take classes as an Open U student, would that be considered as a post bac (GPA wise for AADSAS), or factored into my undergrad GPA? Is this a good route, and will it help me improve my app or would I just be wasting time?

Any advice on this option is much appreciated. Also, if anyone has any other suggestions, that'd be great as well!

Thanks

CalDent

10+ Year Member
Dec 30, 2008
Status
Dental Student
Thanks to garples for sending me a PM regarding my situation.

If anyone else wants to throw in their 2 cents, don't hesitate I don't bite :)

UCSD6

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 24, 2008
Status
Pre-Dental
I'm basically in the same boat as you with a tad better gpa and dat. I think Im gonna take some courses at a community college nearby. They got some good courses in molecular genetics, anatomy, and pharmacology. I know that upper div's at universities probably look better, but it cost way more and the semesters already started. So, yea I think I'm gonna shoot for a better GPA, leave the dat alone with a AA 19(low QR), TS 21, PAT 21. And will really make an effort to improve my EC's via volunteering at dental clinics, taking preclinical dental courses at dental schools when possible. Then get some good professors to write good LOR's and then apply on the 1st day the app cycle opens, instead of mid-october!!!!!

What do you think, good plan???? I think it will be more effective than just studying to retake DAT when I can make my app much stronger with other stuff.

peanutb123

10+ Year Member
Sep 1, 2008
Status
Pre-Dental
I'm basically in the same boat as you with a tad better gpa and dat. I think Im gonna take some courses at a community college nearby. They got some good courses in molecular genetics, anatomy, and pharmacology. I know that upper div's at universities probably look better, but it cost way more and the semesters already started. So, yea I think I'm gonna shoot for a better GPA, leave the dat alone with a AA 19(low QR), TS 21, PAT 21. And will really make an effort to improve my EC's via volunteering at dental clinics, taking preclinical dental courses at dental schools when possible. Then get some good professors to write good LOR's and then apply on the 1st day the app cycle opens, instead of mid-october!!!!!

What do you think, good plan???? I think it will be more effective than just studying to retake DAT when I can make my app much stronger with other stuff.

Couple months ago I talked w/ the dean of d-school. He said if i see you taking upper division Science classes at C.C college it raises a lot of red flags....

CalDent

10+ Year Member
Dec 30, 2008
Status
Dental Student
It sounds like a good plan, except I'd do all that at a 4 year than at a CC. I'm pretty sure I'm gonna end up taking classes at a state univ. next year and apply at the same time if I don't end up getting in this year. And if the semester has already started, just leave it alone for now, and start classes in the summer or something?

Anyhoo, if anyone has any other advice regarding my situation, please do respond. Thanks!

UCSD6

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 24, 2008
Status
Pre-Dental
Yea I might just wait till the summer and take classes from a university, but damn I don't want to pay all that money since tuitions have gone up like 40% in california!!! And now I will also have like 2 months till summer courses and that gives me time to study for the DAT and re-take (still contemplating). Shoot there goes my plan and I'm back to square one. I think I'm gonna call the schools and try to get some advice, I'll let you know what they say.

CalDent

10+ Year Member
Dec 30, 2008
Status
Dental Student
Thanks bud, yea def keep me posted. I'm gonna start calling the schools that have rejected me so far as well, will keep you updated if I get any useful info.

dentalWorks

Nights Watchmen
7+ Year Member
Jun 25, 2009
Sterling Hts, Mi
Status
Dentist
Hi all,

Though I'm still holding some hope for this cycle, I am most likely gonna have to reapply next cycle. Please help me decide what I should do in this next year :)

My current situation:
-GPA: overall - 3.36, science - 3.23 (undergrad: UC Berkeley)
-DAT Score: TS - 19, AA - 20, PAT - 22
-Applied to 15 schools
-Application complete end of August due to a lagging LOR
-Interviewed at UCLA, BU, Pitt, UNLV, Western (all january onwards) and Midwestern (only pre-december)
-Rejected at Midwestern
-Waitilisted at UCLA, Pitt, Western
-Still waiting to hear back from UNLV and BU

So, I think the best way to improve my app is to do something about my sub-par GPA. I live in the sacramento area, and don't want to move away for a masters or formal post bac program. I want to live in this area if I have to spend next year re-applying. So, my options are limited to either CSU Sac or UC Davis.

I am wondering if I could just take some upper division classes at CSUS as an Open U student? Neither CSUS nor UC Davis have a formal post bac for dental students. If I were to take classes as an Open U student, would that be considered as a post bac (GPA wise for AADSAS), or factored into my undergrad GPA? Is this a good route, and will it help me improve my app or would I just be wasting time?

Any advice on this option is much appreciated. Also, if anyone has any other suggestions, that'd be great as well!

Thanks
Sounds like your on the right track here. The best way (only way actually) to improve an undergrad GPA is by taking post-bacc courses. Taking post-bacc DOES factor into your overall GPA and Science GPA calculations... this is the reason why many people do it. You can boost your undergrad GPA.

You don't have to do a formal post-bacc.... just enroll into any 4-year university and start taking courses, if you've graduated already, those additional courses will be automatically considered post-bacc.

The only thing I need to warn you about post-bacc is that its a time consuming and expensive process. For example, when I graduated in 2004, I had 136 credits on a 3.0 overall GPA. In 2007 I started to do post-bacc until now, 54 credits of post-bacc only brought up my GPA from 3.0 to 3.3.... so just keep this in mind, post-bacc is a slow & expensive process

nextuszerodmd

7+ Year Member
Jul 10, 2009
Status
Dental Student
actually, i wouldn't do anything of that.

From the looks of it, you are pretty competitive if you got around 6 interviews. I would reapply again this year but two things I would do differently.

1) Maybe it isn't what is on paper, but its YOU. Work on your interview skills.....
2) Maybe restudy for the DAT and shoot just for a tad bit higher

If you have some spare time then maybe take a few classes at a CC, volunteer/shadow more in a dental clinic. Other than that, don't waste your time with a post bacc.....it's your interview skills that is sour (schools must like you if you got 6 interviews.....and the possibility of not getting in is roughly .3^6 which is damn slim (schools usually interview 100-200% than the entering class))

CalDent

10+ Year Member
Dec 30, 2008
Status
Dental Student
Ahh you're right, its gonna be a bit expensive but in the end, its a pretty small fraction of what we'll owe when its all set and done.

And as far as the gpa boost, I understand that as well. I think I already have a somewhat ok overall GPA, since I don't have an insane amount of science credits already, taking just science classes will raise my subpar sGPA pretty quickly.

And I'm planning on applying while taking classes. I think since I already had 6 interviews this year, my application is decent and can be better if I just apply in June instead of late august. So that with the combination of raising my gpa will hopefully result in earlier interviews and an acceptance :xf: next cycle, if nothing pans out the rest of this cycle.

Sounds like your on the right track here. The best way (only way actually) to improve an undergrad GPA is by taking post-bacc courses. Taking post-bacc DOES factor into your overall GPA and Science GPA calculations... this is the reason why many people do it. You can boost your undergrad GPA.

You don't have to do a formal post-bacc.... just enroll into any 4-year university and start taking courses, if you've graduated already, those additional courses will be automatically considered post-bacc.

The only thing I need to warn you about post-bacc is that its a time consuming and expensive process. For example, when I graduated in 2004, I had 136 credits on a 3.0 overall GPA. In 2007 I started to do post-bacc until now, 54 credits of post-bacc only brought up my GPA from 3.0 to 3.3.... so just keep this in mind, post-bacc is a slow & expensive process

CalDent

10+ Year Member
Dec 30, 2008
Status
Dental Student
Ahh maybe you're right. My plan currently is to start calling schools who have already rejected me and ask them what I can do to better my application for the next cycle. I'm just start getting all my materials together for the next cycle right now so that I can apply earlier this time around. Once/if I get rejected from the 5 schools I'm waiting on, I'll ask them what I could do better as well, and go from there...

actually, i wouldn't do anything of that.

From the looks of it, you are pretty competitive if you got around 6 interviews. I would reapply again this year but two things I would do differently.

1) Maybe it isn't what is on paper, but its YOU. Work on your interview skills.....
2) Maybe restudy for the DAT and shoot just for a tad bit higher

If you have some spare time then maybe take a few classes at a CC, volunteer/shadow more in a dental clinic. Other than that, don't waste your time with a post bacc.....it's your interview skills that is sour (schools must like you if you got 6 interviews.....and the possibility of not getting in is roughly .3^6 which is damn slim (schools usually interview 100-200% than the entering class))

CalDent

10+ Year Member
Dec 30, 2008
Status
Dental Student
Also guys, is there anything I can do to help my case at the schools where I'm waitlisted? Should I send an extra LOR?

I was thinking I should write to the schools that I'm waitlisted to express interest. Is that a good idea or will it not matter much?

Also, I haven't heard back from BU since my interview in early March. One of the dentists I shadowed is a BU grad. Do you think I should have him write me a LOR just for BU, and maybe that will increase my chances there?

What do you guys think?

UCSD6

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 24, 2008
Status
Pre-Dental
Hey Cal Dent,

I have been doing some in-depth thinking of what to do and I think that you and me are sort of in the same boat. I received 3 interviews all post january and didn't get my app in until october (extremely late). I was thinking that if we got interviews that our numbers aren't really the issue. So, I will keep the DAT score the same and probably take some open U classes at SJSU just to stay academically active if I dont get in this cycle. I think that I will have to improve on my interview skills, like maybe even professional help (ie at your college). And in the mean time I am trying to line up some LOR writers, more EC's, and improving my personal statement. An first and foremost apply the 1st day of the cycle.

Regarding you BU situation, did you send a thank you card after the interview? I think it can only help. And maybe a letter of interst will help, showing how commited you are to get in, but i dunno. I can't see it hurting you at all.

Oct 22, 2009
Status
Pre-Dental
I think i'm in the same boat as well with a slightly higher GPA and DAT. I applied late September and app was complete in October. Didn't realized i'd get screwed over so badly. My biggest concern about reapplying is the LORs and essay. Do we re-submit the SAME letters and essay? Maybe I was too optimistic..I didn't use my school's LOR service so I'd have to approach these profs again (embarrassing!) to get them to submit.

The only thing I've thought of is taking some more specific bio electives that I haven't had such as anatomy/physio/etc, though post-bacc is expensive...that would suck! So I don't know. Once I find out, I'll either look for a full time job in my field, or do part-time dental related work + part time working for my parents (making $) + something charitable I can devote more time to with a more flexible schedule. The advice I've gathered from SDN though, is to apply early and enjoy the time off.

Good luck everyone, and I hope we all make it off our waitlists :)

CalDent

10+ Year Member
Dec 30, 2008
Status
Dental Student
@UCSD6: I did send a thank you email to my interviewer. Funny thing is, she made it sound like I was getting an acceptance for sure, so I walked out with so much confidence, only to be sitting here still waiting for a decision. I'm thinking of sending an extra, more specific LOR to the schools I've interviewed at and am still in the hunt for.

@sassykat: From what I've heard, you should have the writers change a few things in the letters and resubmit. Add in any new activities/achievements from the past year and submit with a new date.

If I do end up having to reapply, I'm definitely gonna update my essay with a few activities from the past year, and change it around a bit but keep the core the same since you can't really produce a whole new essay.

CalDent

10+ Year Member
Dec 30, 2008
Status
Dental Student
Just got offered a seat at BU!!!! My first acceptance, feels soo goood! Truly hope it all works out for the rest of you as well. Thanks for all the advice and encouragement!

mw3257

10+ Year Member
Oct 17, 2007
Status
Dental Student
Just got offered a seat at BU!!!! My first acceptance, feels soo goood! Truly hope it all works out for the rest of you as well. Thanks for all the advice and encouragement!
awesome man, congrats!

hausee

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 20, 2006
UCSD
Status
Man, if there is no offer for you, a lot of ppl here will worry about their stats...

Congrats!!!:)

By the way, did you find out why they reject you? It might help you in the future...

CalDent

10+ Year Member
Dec 30, 2008
Status
Dental Student
Man, if there is no offer for you, a lot of ppl here will worry about their stats...

Congrats!!!:)

By the way, did you find out why they reject you? It might help you in the future...
Haha thanks! And I've only been rejected from 1 of the schools that I interviewed at. I'm still waiting on a few others and have been waitlisted at some as well. If I don't get into UCLA, I'll be attending BU most likely.

congrats! i bet you pee'd yourself when you found out. loool
Straight up, woke up and saw the email, and started jumpin up down right away. :soexcited:

Feb 2, 2010
Status
Pre-Dental
Hey CalDent
Congratulation on your acceptance at BU!!

I see you are waitlisted at Pitt (so am I). Just wondering, if you get into Pitt as well, which one would you pick?

Congrats again!

dentalWorks

Nights Watchmen
7+ Year Member
Jun 25, 2009
Sterling Hts, Mi
Status
Dentist
congrats my friend, no more DAT, no more undergrad GPA, no more nothing.... Now you start a brand new journey and hopefully you make the best of it, enjoy the last 4 years of your education, after this its all working and paying bills.... enjoy :)

HASassin

10+ Year Member
Sep 8, 2008
Texas
Status
Pre-Dental
good man, ive been rooting for you lol

i have around a 3.27 cum and 3.15 gpa
an im planning on getting around the same dat scorers
maybe like 19 ts 20 aa
(ive been practicing for months, but ive seem to hit a barrier at least in the sciences, like gen chem and am starting to get burnt out)
im good at pat and RC though (suck at math)

anyway, so would you recommend applying early, in the first week or two, what do you think? would that be enough, hopefully my EC are strong

CalDent

10+ Year Member
Dec 30, 2008
Status
Dental Student
Hey CalDent
Congratulation on your acceptance at BU!!

I see you are waitlisted at Pitt (so am I). Just wondering, if you get into Pitt as well, which one would you pick?

Congrats again!
Thanks shyboy, I'm not sure which one I'd pick at this time. The only school I really badly want to get into is UCLA. If I don't get in there, I'd be happy with any of the other schools that I interviewed at. I liked the city of Boston more than Pitt, and the students and faculty seemed more chill there, so I'd probably pick Boston still.

congrats my friend, no more DAT, no more undergrad GPA, no more nothing.... Now you start a brand new journey and hopefully you make the best of it, enjoy the last 4 years of your education, after this its all working and paying bills.... enjoy :)
Thanks dentalworks, I really appreciate it.

good man, ive been rooting for you lol

i have around a 3.27 cum and 3.15 gpa
an im planning on getting around the same dat scorers
maybe like 19 ts 20 aa
(ive been practicing for months, but ive seem to hit a barrier at least in the sciences, like gen chem and am starting to get burnt out)
im good at pat and RC though (suck at math)

anyway, so would you recommend applying early, in the first week or two, what do you think? would that be enough, hopefully my EC are strong
Hey man, just study hard for the DAT for the next month or 2 and take it when you feel ready. I highly recommend submitting early as possible, no later than end of June. Also, make sure your writers submit the letters on time. Though, they don't need to be part of the initial submission, schools won't review your file if they don't have the LORs. I submitted early, but my letters weren't submitted till end of August. This delayed my app, so I got interviews later, and got accepted very late into the cycle - something you don't wanna go thru. You wanna get in on Dec 1 and enjoy the rest of the time off. PM if you need any further help.

Oct 22, 2009
Status
Pre-Dental
congrats CalDent!

i made it off my waitlist (UoP) too so i guess we won't have to reapply! woohoo!! :)

Jun 7, 2009
New York
Status
Pre-Dental
Hey Caldent, just curious, but were u on the alternate list at BU?
bc im still waiting to hear back from them.. and i hope i get in too..its my only hope :xf:

&& Congratulations!

CalDent

10+ Year Member
Dec 30, 2008
Status
Dental Student
@sassykat: Nice work bud! Congrats, have fun at Pacific!

@dentiist2be: I was not on the alternate list. People that aren't on the alternate list have a higher shot at getting a spot from what I've seen. Good luck!

Jun 7, 2009
New York
Status
Pre-Dental
Any idea if most people who are not on the alternate list get into BU? i tried looking for last years thread for BU, but couldnt find it. Thanks.